PDA

View Full Version : ATV Action shootout

trx11t
01-29-2004, 12:10 PM
I haven't seen it myself but I heard the TRX lost another one.
Here are some quotes I got.

Which machine is faster in a drag race?
"YFZ is faster from zero to well into fifth gear. A bit more than two bike lengths"

Which machine is faster on the course?
"The YFZ, and it didn't matter if we had a professional rider or a casual weekend competitor."

Final Answer?
"These are two great machines, but we have a clear winner. The TRX comes up short in the Ultra-High Performance Shootout"

I'll have to wait to see what they didn't like about the YFZ.

jarsong
01-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by trx11t

"YFZ is faster from zero to well into fifth gear. A bit more than two bike lengths"

"The YFZ, and it didn't matter if we had a professional rider or a casual weekend competitor."

Final Answer?
"These are two great machines, but we have a clear winner. The TRX comes up short in the Ultra-High Performance Shootout"

So disappointing to hear this over and over.... I was hoping that Honda would have upped the ante forcing Yamaha to refine even more in 05. I'm not sure why they would change anything now.
Looks like the armchair quarterbacks were calling this one right back in September. Anyway, go have fun on your 450's they both are more than what we had before.
jarsong

Honda
01-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Damn it!

I am going to look funny riding a YFZ with Honda Gear on!

I just kiddin! ;)

jarsong
01-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Honda
Damn it!

I am going to look funny riding a YFZ with Honda Gear on!

I just kiddin! ;)
HEHEHE, that was good... Go buy the Honda. Average joe will never know a difference except for starting it....
jarsong

Honda
01-29-2004, 01:58 PM
It won't matter after all the mods anyway.

Awfully exspensive for a Motor and some plastic. Ahhh, I guess I'll be using the frame for a while, until it starts to crack.

I do really like the way the YF'ers look when Modified. But I got to stay true to the Honda name.

trx11t
01-29-2004, 02:10 PM
It looks more and more like Yamaha is taking over from Honda.
I have even been hearing more and more problems from Honda.
While it looks like Yamaha is having less and less problems.
It used to be Honda was the hands down best handling machines. Now it seems they have gotten worse and Yamaha is now the leader.
Honda has always been soft in the engine department.
It just seems like Honda is sitting back and riding on it's name without backing it up like they used to.

Honda
01-29-2004, 02:16 PM
I fully agree that they should be Steppin it up! The new R should have at least come with an Aluminum Frame. Especially after 15 years of Technolgical advances.

I don't think they will sit back and let Other Manufactures Tread on them. I expect that Honda would come out Fighting next year with an updated model.

Maybe?

jarsong
01-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Honda
I fully agree that they should be Steppin it up! The new R should have at least come with an Aluminum Frame. Especially after 15 years of Technolgical advances.

I don't think they will sit back and let Other Manufactures Tread on them. I expect that Honda would come out Fighting next year with an updated model.

Maybe?

One could argue they'll sell every one they make and then some. Remember this is about profits not so much about what a handfull of us would like to see. With the 450R they really did rely on the Honda following. What I don't think they planned on was the YFZ bombshell dropped last summer. I mean really? Yamaha? Creating the best masses produced ATV of all time?? Who would have thunk it a year ago?
jarsong

kamikaze_rzrbak
01-29-2004, 02:34 PM
^^^i totally hear what you guys are saying im get pretty disappointed in what im hearing but honda wont sit around forever, right??

jarsong
01-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by kamikaze_rzrbak
^^^i totally hear what you guys are saying im get pretty disappointed in what im hearing but honda wont sit around forever, right??

I don't know anymore. I mean we have sat since 1989 waiting. Seems that if there was ever a time to do it, this was it. Especially after the YFZ release... Seems the botched it.
jarsong

Honda
01-29-2004, 02:57 PM
Lets be Honest, I totally expected Honda to come out with a new R based machine before anyone else. Fact is, Rumors had been flying around for years about Honda bringing a new sport quad to market, Personnally Honda unvailed the 450R right about the time I was going to Say Hell with them and buy something else.

Then Yamaha, A company that hasn't changed the design of their Warrior and Banshee in Countless years, steps it up with the YFZ. Not totally unexpected because they already had been mass producing the Raptor, and selling the Shizzles out of them. They officially started the Big Bore War.

Honda Cought off Guard? Probably, But Honda should have already have stepped up to the plate. You can't sit on yo *** forever. They have been Slacking in other product areas also. Part of the problem is having to appeal to a large majority of people with different likes and dislikes.

The 450R should not be compromised, it is a Race quad, just like the CR, and CRF's are race Bikes. On a machine such as this, their should not be Compromises in Performance in order to appeal to a Recreational rider, as even those types of riders are going to buy the best performing equipment.

One thing is for sure, Honda easily could lose Valuable market share if steps are not taken to keep their products performing to the expectations of it's customers. I would hate to see this happen, as Honda has invested heavily over the years to build a Great reputation, something that is not easily regained once it is lost.

I hate to say this, But I have seen Honda's product slowly lose it's Quality and other important qualities ever since they started producing in the United States. Thier Japan made products have always been rated at the top for Performance and Reliabilty. The legendary 250R was one of those products that had been made in Japan. Unfortunatly, parts for those products are usually triple what they are on a U.S. made Product.

Yea, I know. The 400EX is U.S. Made and it is a Great machine.

Matt756
01-29-2004, 03:15 PM

Final Answer?

dont listen to mags wait till u get to ride they judge the bike

r450rr
01-29-2004, 03:29 PM
its ashame u all beleive exaclty what the mags say,, u apparently havent read to many mags,.(they lie all the time)

trx11t
01-29-2004, 03:52 PM
If we were seeing that the shootouts were a close call and they said which ever color you like will be your choice. But now I have seen two shootouts and three ATV of the year awards given pretty easily over the Honda. The old argument of don't listen to the lying magazines isn't holding much water any longer.
Plus I think if you look at the specs of the Honda it pretty much backs up what the mags are claiming. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

It's funny how people bag on Yamaha for sticking with the Banshee and Warrior for so long but how many of you wish Honda would have stuck with the 250R. At least Yamaha had the B***s to actually do it. And these models are every bit as reliable as any other model in the industry.

jb500ex
01-29-2004, 03:57 PM
i'm bumming. i might be selling my r a week after i get it, and i should get it this week. if i don't like it as much as my brother yfz it's gone. honda disappointed me i never thought this would happen

Hammer trx450r
01-29-2004, 04:00 PM
as far as i see it honda gave us a bike with awesome brakes and a solid foundation to work with. After all the lawsuits they can't just give 16 yr olds unleashed motors. Just wait till they are uncorked and then lets talk. kevin windams bike is flyin!!

jb500ex
01-29-2004, 04:02 PM
that doesn't explain the handling. im not so worried about the power, we are all honda fans because they are supposed too handle better, and you can always make a bike faster

twisted threads
01-29-2004, 04:02 PM
I said it once and I will say it again Im not surprised to see the YFZ beat the Trx 450r in a race shootout. The Yamaha boys put it all out on the line and Honda did NOT and now Honda will pay for it because some people must have the best bike that the MAGS say is the best. MARK my WORDS I would by the TRX450r if it was a 400ex frame with that motor I DONT CARE! The Honda will be a great all around quad PERIOD!!

jb500ex
01-29-2004, 04:22 PM
no. we just expected more from this bike. i have kept my 400ex since 99. and i didn't go out and buy what the mags said were best. the raptor,z400,cannondale whatever. but when honda came out with the crf dirt bike immediately i said that is the quad i want, and i expected honda to do something that was far better than anything we have seen from them and anyone else. they have the knowledge and resources, they decided not too use them. there main competition has always been yamaha, the yamaha came out first they knew what they were up against took alot off time and didn't even match the yamaha. and yes i want the best quad that i think i can win on when i race, i will give the honda a shot because i am a die hard honda fan, it just seems i might be in for a four year in the waiting disappointment

Honda
01-29-2004, 04:36 PM
I think we should all just Hold Judgement until we actually ride the new Honda.

Until then, we really can't pass an honest judgement.

jb500ex
01-29-2004, 04:50 PM
im going too but if it is not up too par honda has lost a faithful customer

4fiddyR
01-29-2004, 05:51 PM
I don't think I would want an aluminium frame on a quad, I hear a lot about LRD's cracking. just my 2 cents.

r450rr
01-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by 4fiddyR
I don't think I would want an aluminium frame on a quad, I hear a lot about LRD's cracking. just my 2 cents.

well said... i myself they done a great job because they still managed to get the weight to 350... and its not big deal to me... in fact the steel frame is stronger..it has a aluminum sub-frame...i am happpy cause its stronger and it still weighs 350

chad502ex
01-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
im going too but if it is not up too par honda has lost a faithful customer

jb, HONDA would be better off if you converted to BLUE, you back-stabber!!!LOL!! jk

I tell ya what, you line up next to me and my 567cc 450R with any yami you can get built and we'll see if your wanting HONDA back in your garage. I'd bet ya would switch back to HONDA after I show you it's potential.

chad550R!:D :macho :macho

jb500ex
01-29-2004, 06:04 PM
there is no bigger honda fan then me, trust me ask my brother and anyone elso who knows me. i haven't gotten mine yet should have it in the next couple of day's. but from all reports it's not what i am expecting or waited years for. I HATE YAMAHA but i like my bro's yfz if it is better i might do the unthinkable or buy the ATK

01-29-2004, 06:20 PM
Hey guy's I have been riding 250R's forever..... I have to say I like both quads. Only time will tell what quad will hold up over time. I will be waiting to hear what people think of the 450R VS the YZF... So if you are not positive on what to ride and you have a good 400ex ar a 250R don't sell it ride it!!! What and see... This year we will see the true winner.

My 2 cents.......:cool:

jb500ex
01-29-2004, 06:23 PM
the 400 will never be going unless i need money, i love that bike.

jb500ex
01-29-2004, 06:24 PM
where in north jersey are you, im next too paramus

trx450rmeg
01-29-2004, 07:14 PM
i went riding with a yfz today ........ i was on my 450r and less than 5 min in to the ride the yfz stalled and wouldnt start. for some reason the elec start couldnt turn it over, prob the battery, any ways i was actually happy to have the kick start on the 450r, it is reallly esay to start once you have gotten used to it, it always starts first kick even when it is cold.....22 degress out during the day. i just found this humorus at the time........ im not dissin the yfz but it just seams like he is always workin on that thing. i am glad i went with honda :cool:

ATC83
01-29-2004, 07:54 PM
What really pisses me off is that Honda has a great 450 motor in the CRF450 motocross bike they could have used but instead they had to F*#k with what was a proven performance engine so joe trail rider could buy one. Why couldn't they just build a purpose built motocross bike like Yamaha. As far as I'm concerned screw joe trail rider. Let him buy a 400EX. Come on Honda, give us a true race machine. Everything about the introduction of the TRX450 has been a screwed up mess. First they get caught off guard by Yamaha, then they move back the release date and now we find out that it can't keep up with the YFZ. What a joke.

exrider44
01-29-2004, 08:08 PM
magazines are weak I dont believe them. Its what you like not what the magazine likes. Unless you like to follow. :devil:

Got nads?
01-29-2004, 08:11 PM
I just wanted to say, that the honda may be corked up in stock form as well as the YFZ. My bros buddy (honda mechanic) was telling me about some small mods you can do for free to increase the R's power, one had something to do with unplugging a wire from the CDI to increase the rev limit up another 1000rpm. Hopefully a pipe and other aftermarket goodies will make it more then competetive.

anthony7
01-29-2004, 11:52 PM
your going to have to give me your address so i can send you a box of tissue you are wimpering everywhere. their both great and at least we have some decent choices now days.
Originally posted by r450rr
its ashame u all beleive exaclty what the mags say,, u apparently havent read to many mags,.(they lie all the time)

r450rr
01-30-2004, 12:02 AM
is your whole purpose of joining to close down every thread.. shew..

i got a question about that one u just got closed?? was you on either of those quads that was posted at the first of it.. if not u cant base ur opinion on that unless YOU was there and rode..

and alot of people would agree with me about the mags,,, if they would have said the 450R won on every aspect.. i still wouldnt beleive them and noone else should either..

i mean they compared a z400 to a raptor.. and the z400 almost won.. and they diss the 400ex like crazy when the z came out yet the ex was still winning races..and when demintion wise they are exactly the same .. except for motor., and they rated it leaps an bounds above the 400ex when it really isnt..SO WE shouldnt beleive them now

Woody_YFZ
01-30-2004, 12:29 AM
When the Z400 came out everybody didn't run and buy one of those over their 400EX's and I don't think you should go buy a YFZ either. I think when Honda started to design this bike, they had the 400EX in mind and I'm sure the 450R will spank the pants off a 400EX. I don't know if Yamaha surprised them or not, but I'm pretty sure Honda knows what they are doing. The MX quad wars have only just begun and we the consumers will win. I'm just glad to finally see the Honda released, now we can all go ride.

jmoney45
01-30-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ
The MX quad wars have only just begun and we the consumers will win. I'm just glad to finally see the Honda released, now we can all go ride.

Amen.

racerx81
01-30-2004, 08:30 AM
I HAVE BEEN AROUND THIS SPORT FOR A LONG TIME. I BOUGHT A 86 TRX250R WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT. THE SAME THINGS WERE SAID OBOUT IT THAT ARE SAID ABOUT THE 450.THAT IT DOESNT HANDLE AS GOOD AS THE SUZUKI. THEY SAID IT WASNT AS GOOD AS THE 86 SUZUKI QUADRACER.THE QUADRACER WON ALL OF THE MAGAZINE SHOOTOUTS THAT YEAR.WE ALL KNOW BETTER NOW DONT WE? IN 87 SUZUKI TOTALY REVAMPED ITS QUADRACER. HONDA HARDLY CHANGED A THING IN 87. THE HONDA WON ALL OF THE SHOOTOUTS IN 87 GO FIGURE.IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME I HAVE ALL OF THE OLD MAGAZINES TO BACK IT UP.LETS JUST WAIT TILL THEIR OUT FOR AWILE BEFORE PASS JUDGEMENT.

Honda
01-30-2004, 09:01 AM
The Quadracers! What a f*&%en Joke!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

I did a double one time on a LT250 and Snapped the Frame completly in Half where the shock mounts. It was a small double too. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those things Handled like Lawn Tractor's!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!! Broke all the Time too.

My Buddies Quadzilla Broke everytime we went out to ride, that's if he even got to ride it, was in the garage being worked on more than anything!

racerx81
01-30-2004, 09:12 AM
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IM GETTING AT.WE ALL KNOW NOW THE QUADRACERS WERE NO MATCH FOR THE 250R'S. BUT WHEN THE 250R FIRST CAME OUT THERE WERE ALOT OF PEOPLE WITH SUZUKIS THINKING THAT THEY HAD THE BETTER MACHINE. AND THE REST IS HISTORY.

trx11t
01-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Here is what I don't understand. Alot of people are talking about there loyalty to Honda and you can't go against the Brand. What the hell is up with that? It's not like it's your national pride or anything. Sure they build good products but so do alot of other companies. I just don't understand this mentality.
Does Honda give you the same kind of loyalty?? Do they give you a discount or special deal for being loyal or something?
People have been making coments like it doesn't matter what they build they would buy it because it was made by Honda.
I say stick a Honda Sticker on the best bike if you really feel that way and ride it. That way you get the best bike and still stay loyal to your brand:)

Honda
01-30-2004, 10:45 AM
It's just that Honda Rarely if ever lets Us down.

I am sure you will be seeing the new R dominate races this year and probably for Many Years after that, and that and that!!!

trx11t
01-30-2004, 10:57 AM
I guess it depands on your definition of being let down?
If it's building what their customer really wants I would say they let more people down than anyone.

The TRX doesn't have e-start is slower and doesn't handle as well as other quads on the market. Their Rincon doesn't have engine braking, diff lock or disc brakes, They gave up on two strokes a long time ago. Just a couple examples.

Everyone talks about their reliability but I just don't see it anymore. Maybe 15 years ago they had an advantage over other manufacturers but today? I personally don't see it. If you do a search for recalls you will find Honda has just as many if not more than other manufactures. In fact I just checked and it looks like Yamaha has fewer than anyone else. This is based on the CPSC so It's not a difference in company philosophy.

I just think it's time for people to pick their heads up and have a look around to see what they are missing. I know I have seen the light.

Honda
01-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Never said I wouldn't try other manufactures. I just think the R is going to be better than everyone is initially saying.

MIA450R
01-30-2004, 11:04 AM
As always, time will tell.

Maxx_Action
01-30-2004, 11:29 AM
If it's building what their customer really wants I would say they let more people down than anyone.

The TRX doesn't have e-start is slower and doesn't handle as well as other quads on the market. Their Rincon doesn't have engine braking, diff lock or disc brakes, They gave up on two strokes a long time ago. Just a couple examples.

Everyone talks about their reliability but I just don't see it anymore. Maybe 15 years ago they had an advantage over other manufacturers but today? I personally don't see it. If you do a search for recalls you will find Honda has just as many if not more than other manufactures. In fact I just checked and it looks like Yamaha has fewer than anyone else. This is based on the CPSC so It's not a difference in company philosophy.

I just think it's time for people to pick their heads up and have a look around to see what they are missing. I know I have seen the light.

Nice post...

i have always wondered about the honda superior quality loyalty issue. As I stated in another post I have always had Hondas, or Yamahas. I have never owned but one other brand and that was a Suzuki, and that was for about two months(don't get me started) but as far as the Yamaha-v-Honda thing, I could never tell a nickels worth of difference between them. They were both great brands. NONE of my machines either Yamaha or Honda ever had any kind of catastrphic failure, and I had a lot of fun on both. I think some guys need to change their philosophy and move on. Honda was never that dominate in my eyes, and if they were they aint anymore...

Maxx

r450rr
01-30-2004, 12:38 PM

man ur crazy.... i mean u are... honda by far makes the most reliable quads and thats period u can argue about the 450R all day but when u start questioning. reliablility then ur crazy

ATC83
01-30-2004, 01:01 PM

I agree, I've been riding Honda ATV's for twenty one years and the first time I had a problem with one was with my 2000 400EX. The front left a-arm bushing had a defect in it. I was really surprised, I had never had a problem with a Honda before this. Unfortunately I didn't spot it until after the warrenty was up. My Honda dealer basically told me to get screwed they weren't going to replace the a-arm. I had to cover it myself.

trx11t
01-30-2004, 01:08 PM
I'm not saying they aren't reliable. I am just saying that there is virtually no differences in reliability in other brands as well.
It used to be there was a difference but not so much anymore.

ATC83
01-30-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm not saying they aren't reliable. I am just saying that there is virtually no differences in reliability in other brands as well.
It used to be there was a difference but not so much anymore.

I agree, there isn't much difference in reliabilty anymore. Especially with the use of computers and robotics in manufacturing.