PDA

View Full Version : Which one is better??? full system of slip-on?

nikejoe
01-29-2004, 07:31 AM
With a stock motor on a 2001 400ex, will I be giving up any power if I use a full exhaust system??? I am running a on open alum airbox, w/ K&N filter, and am getting ready to jet carb. I have a WB E-series pipe and header ready to install. But a buddy was tellin me that without a cam, I will be losing power by using the aftermarket header????? Does this make any sense??? And if so, why?? Should I just use it as a slip on??? Let me know what you think!!! It would be hard to have the aftermarket header that I paid good money for and not use it!!!! But What the hell do I know????:blah:

garett
01-29-2004, 07:34 AM
i think you will losse pwer the stock header is plenty big for stock engine .any bigger youll be robbed of power

cals400ex
01-29-2004, 12:29 PM
the header for the WB pipe produced more power than the slip on at the dyno from the reports that i read. i would put it on considering you already have one.

nikejoe
01-29-2004, 07:10 PM
I hope you are right cal! I can't see it being any other way! No offense garett. I just don't see how a matched pipe and header can be less powerfull than stock header and slip-on. That pipe should produce the most power when used with the matched WB header!!! Maybe I'm over analysing it! Oh well!!:macho

nikejoe
01-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Cal
I just read a post you left for garrett saying that you can't buy a WB slip on and WB header seperately. I ran to my garage in a panic. I purchase a used WB E-series slip on and about a week later I saw a used WB header on Ebay. So with my great intelligence, I thought wow then I would have a matched system. So I bought the header and it actually just came in tonight, so I hadn't even looked at it. So when I ran out to my garage guess what I learned. Cal is 100% correct! I now have a WB E-series slip on and a WB header that do not slide together or even come close to meeting. There is what looks to be about a 4" gap between the 2. This ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!!!! Now what in the Hell am I going to do! I really thought about taking it somewhere and having them extend the header to the pipe and make them fit together. But will it be worth it? and will I still get the same performance out of the header??? The other thing is the exhaust tapers down about the last 2", so it can fit the stock header, would you cut that off and run the same siz as the header up and into the exhaust. I think I am in over my head!!! AGAIN!!!:(

JOEX
01-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Ask around for some pice of the WB full system and compare them to what you have then take everything (including the pictures) to a muffler shop and see if they can make something work for you.

Or sell the header and get a Powerbomb header.

Joe

400extracc
01-29-2004, 11:57 PM
if your motor is stock a good slip on is all you need. save the extra money and get a high flow filter with jet kit (jet it right) and a timing key.
if you want more flow out of your head pipe, pull it off and grind the welds down.
i think this set up is the best. have the same on my quad and i felt a big difference!!!!. when you go to a 416 0r 440, then you will need the larger head pipe.
hope this helps.

:macho

Steve-o 400EX
01-30-2004, 07:17 AM
DONT put that full system on. I have a 416 and the slip on is plenty. It has a lot of power and snap to it. Also ur buddy was wrong about the cam. Just a cam will make no difference. If you went to a bigger bore like a 416 and high compression piston that does make a difference. A stock motor with a performace cam wont even run right so dont do it. Unless you plan on putting in a bore kit dont use the full system because it will rob u of HP.

UglyMotha™
01-30-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by nikejoe
I hope you are right cal! I can't see it being any other way! No offense garett. I just don't see how a matched pipe and header can be less powerfull than stock header and slip-on. That pipe should produce the most power when used with the matched WB header!!! Maybe I'm over analysing it! Oh well!!:macho

well let me explain it to ya jr, cause there is a such thing as over piping a motor cause you see larger header equals more flow to much equals not enough back pressure and not enough back pressure equals no low end torque basically on a stock motor and larger head pipe is goin to be a waste of money :o

400extracc
01-30-2004, 10:17 AM
uglymotha is right. if you want a cam thats a bit better then stock but don't want to loose power, try the xr400 cam. i hered good things bout it. was think'n of try'n it myself.

cals400ex
01-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Cal
I just read a post you left for garrett saying that you can't buy a WB slip on and WB header seperately. I ran to my garage in a panic. I purchase a used WB E-series slip on and about a week later I saw a used WB header on Ebay. So with my great intelligence, I thought wow then I would have a matched system. So I bought the header and it actually just came in tonight, so I hadn't even looked at it. So when I ran out to my garage guess what I learned. Cal is 100% correct! I now have a WB E-series slip on and a WB header that do not slide together or even come close to meeting. There is what looks to be about a 4" gap between the 2. This ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!!!! Now what in the Hell am I going to do! I really thought about taking it somewhere and having them extend the header to the pipe and make them fit together. But will it be worth it? and will I still get the same performance out of the header??? The other thing is the exhaust tapers down about the last 2", so it can fit the stock header, would you cut that off and run the same siz as the header up and into the exhaust. I think I am in over my head!!! AGAIN!!!:(

i guess i should have mentioned that in this thread too. the header probally won't fit the slip on silencer. however, the pro circuit's and power bong headers fit slip on silencers. like i said, the peak power of the whitebrothers with promeg headers on a stock bike produced more than just the WB slip on. however, that is peak power. if it was me i would like to run the complete even on a stock bike even though it may not make much difference. when i put my x-6 (top end pipe) on my stock bike, i had quite a bit more power than my friends bike when he had just a slip on. we were both jetted, other mods were the same and we were equivalent riders. from 2nd gear all the way up to 5th i pulled. 1st it would have been nearly impossible to tell since your in and out of it so quick.

however, that doesn't solve your problem. i am not sure what to tell you. the only thing i can say is try and sell that header or rig something up.

nikejoe
01-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the advice cal and everyone else. It looks like I will now be settling with a slip-on and an expensive paper weight!!!
Sh*t Happens!!!! :mad:

Steve-o 400EX
01-31-2004, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the advice cal and everyone else. It looks like I will now be settling with a slip-on and an expensive paper weight!!!
Sh*t Happens!!!! :mad:

Hey, just learn from ur mistakes.:cool:

YZROOSTINYA
01-31-2004, 07:22 AM
if you are going to use the header I would only run 8 discs insteasd of 12 on the stock motor. You can go to a XR 400 cam or a stage 1. I would not go any higher than that. You can also get rid off your EX head gasket and switch to a XR head gasket. This will allow you to raise your compression slightly without getting a new piston.

The WB FULL SYSTEM and slip on are two differant systems. The wb header is very big. I would reccomend it for only fairly modified motors.

jmpulse
01-31-2004, 07:49 PM
The LTE full system that I have on my quad made a big difference, even when it was stock. Everyone can say what they want, but properly set up exaust will do wonders.

Jody