PDA

View Full Version : another carb issue

northeast400
01-28-2004, 06:13 PM
I think I know the answer but I would like some other opinions. I been dialing my quad. I idles real rough, if I turn the air screw in all the way or only a 1/2 turn out it is fine. If I turn it out any further the idle gets eratic(up and down). I removed the choke and installed a 42 pilot jet. Is the pilot jet to big?:confused:

cals400ex
01-29-2004, 01:22 AM
your not running a hotcam are you? just wondering because mine did this just after i put in my piston and stage 2. mine is the exact same way. it idles if the fuel skrew is in most of the way. right now i am at 2 turns out and it pops on deceleration. however, i am getting a good plug reading at idle and my headers don't glow at idle. so, i am not too lean with my pilot/fuel skrew. it will idle fine until the bike gets hot. then the idle is weird. i may try running my 40 pilot jet instead of my 42. i have no clue. the only thing i can say is make sure you don't have an airleak in the carb boots anywhere. where do you have the clip on your needle set at?

01-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Make sure your quad has been running and it warm before doing any jetting changes..;)

northeast400
01-29-2004, 10:29 AM
I warmed it up, and yes it is a stage 2. I will try the smaller main and see what happens.

cals400ex
01-29-2004, 12:19 PM
let me know what you figure out. i have read numerous posts on this site about idleing problems after installing a stage 2 with piston. they all say the same thing. it idles fine with the fuel skrew all the way in. i am near positive that i don't have an airleak since i have had my carb off numerous times since the cam install. also, i even took the x-6 off so i could make sure there wasn't a leak there. i probally won't mess with mine until it gets warmer. its hard to test and tune when it is really cold. mine runs just fine until it does get to full temp?? :confused:

oh well, i am sure i can get it figured out in a few months when it warms up. you running the needle clip in the 4th position?