PDA

View Full Version : Questions about powdercoating...

trailboss250
01-28-2004, 11:00 AM
I have some questions about powdercoating..
How hard is it too strip down a ex? i would put everything in baggies and tape them to the wall, any other tips?
Do you leave any bolts in the frame? Do you plug them? plug them with what? How much would it cost to get aarms, bumper, frame and sub frame handlebars, swingarm powdercoated? Can you get anything else powdercoated? Thanks for all you help, also is there a page with powdercoaded color choices?

FBRacing76
01-28-2004, 12:03 PM
You cant powdercoat 400ex stock a-arms cuz the ball joints dont come out. You can have the oil tank done the calibers just about everything on the bike

killershee88
01-28-2004, 12:55 PM
its not hard to strip a 400. ive done 2 banshees now and it cant be much harder to do a 400. any bolt that screws into the frame u wanna keep there. this gets all your hard ware a free powder coat and mkes it ten times easier to put the bolts back in the hols. if u dont leave them in the holes the powder will get into the threads and will make it really hard to screw in the bolt. it will cost u about 350 for a frame a arms and swing arm

Pappy
01-28-2004, 01:00 PM
first off...DO NOT have the heads of your bolts coated.

the powdercoater will usually take care of pluging all bolt holes. the only area alot of big shops miss is the steering stem bearing area so you should show that area to your coater and make sure he masks it off.

i can strip a 400ex in an hour. i can re assemble it in 1 1/2 hours. it easy. buy a manual and log all the bolts and brackets and youll be fine.

killershee88
01-28-2004, 01:06 PM
why cant u p/c the bolts?

Pappy
01-28-2004, 01:08 PM
first off you wont find a socket to fit them!! lmfao

secondly, pc only has a crush variable to 160 inch pounds. when you torque the bolt (even if its not to 160 inch lbs) you will chip the pc from the corners of the bolt head.

FBRacing76
01-28-2004, 01:37 PM
The guy who is gonna pc my frame said I need to buy my own powder. How much powder would it take to do a 400ex frame and subframe?

Pappy
01-28-2004, 02:15 PM
depends on the color. i usually buy 2 pounds per frame...that allows me some to do other parts or for future jobs. the color and powder deliver system will also determine how much is required.

FBRacing76
01-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Pappy you got any pics of a candy/trans. blue with silvervein basecoat because thats what im getting my fame done as!

Pappy
01-28-2004, 04:33 PM
i never got a good pic of my frame for my 440. here is the best i got. it looked killer in person.

FBRacing76
01-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Is that with the clearcoat over it?

Pappy
01-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by FBRacing76
Is that with the clearcoat over it?

no i didnt add clear to that frame. i normally clear all "veins " but the translucents in themselves are a clear so its not required. after doing that frame tho, i would recommend it being cleared. the texture from the vein basecoat will show thru the blue depending on how dark (heavy) you make the blue coat. it only showed texture on the very bottom of the frame near the stem bearing area on the flat surface. you can do it without clear just apply the blue at normal coverage rates. it will be a shade or two darker but still translucent enough to reveal the vein underneath.

FBRacing76
01-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Pappy some guy said he'd do my frame and subframe for $220 with silvervein basecoat and candy blue on top of it. How much would you charge to do that?

Pappy
01-28-2004, 04:56 PM
$220 is about right

this is how i price them:

$25 for packing supplies to return ship the frame

$150 standard frame price for a solid color

$50 for additional colors over solids

bad part is shipping. it normally costs $30 to $50 each way for a frame and subframe. depending on the color and distance i sometimes pay return frieght.

i always recommend trying to find a local place first and if they are unwilling or dont want to do the specialty colors then ask me. contrary to popular belief im not here just to make money off our members:p average costs from around the country range from 150 to 250 and in some places much higher. ofcourse there will be those that find a place that will do it dirt cheap...infact telling a pc company that you are a local racer and youd be willing to help advertise for them will get you a heck of a deal.

the biggest benefit i offer is that i take the time to make the part ready to re install. most big shops wont go into the detail in prepping the part for re assembly. heck some wont even bother masking off important areas. i enjoy it and i take pride in what i do.just remeber to ask alot of questions and youll be fine 9 times outta 10 no matter where ya go.

FBRacing76
01-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Ya I always figure I'll ask you because I know you got a lot of experience in pc'in atv frames.

TCracin440ex
01-28-2004, 10:44 PM
nah dont pc your bold heads because the sockets wont fit on them right and u have to take a dremel and get the p/c off anyways...so its a waste

i stripped my 400ex down in 2 hours....

putting it back together is what took the time 4 hours to put it back together thats because im impatient and get pissed off easily when things dont go back together smooth...make sure you take the stem bearings outta it tho..because when u have it sand blasted it will get sand all down in the bearings.....

i got a photographic memory and didnt have no nuts and bolts left over cept 2 and i know wat they were off of and i left that specific part off on purpose...

but your gonna miss ya bike while its down i can verify that....when i tore my bike down...a few days later GNC nationals came to birch creek and i was sooo mad i couldnt race...and i was also mad because i didnt get to ride it arround the track even if i didnt get to race...walking arround a track all day gets boring...

emj426
01-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Hey Pappy, I just dropped my frame off 2day to be p/c. I was wondering if you have done anything in the sky sparkle blue? If so, do u have any pics?

Pappy
01-29-2004, 07:01 AM
there are so many names for the same color these days. if a powder company renames a color they get increased sales. ive never used "sky" blue.

trailboss250
01-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
but your gonna miss ya bike while its down i can verify that....when i tore my bike down...a few days later GNC nationals came to birch creek and i was sooo mad i couldnt race...and i was also mad because i didnt get to ride it arround the track even if i didnt get to race...walking arround a track all day gets boring...
Thats what my blaster is for..

mustang
01-29-2004, 01:37 PM
what temp do you cure the powder coat at? could you use an old oven for small stuff?

danney f
01-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Powder coating is cured between 350-400. Go look in the classifieds for a old kitchen oven, go to the local good will or you could go to a local salvage yard. They always have people bring in old (but still working) ovens from where people have done remodeling.