PDA

View Full Version : what rear shock do you recommend for 2001 400ex?

Ryan-WB440ex
02-25-2002, 09:50 AM
i am 180 lbs, i have a modified white brothers 440 complete race kit, alot of the jumps near me have a fairly flat landing and when i hit big jumps in 4th gear i get maybee 10-15 feet high when i land i bottom out hard i even crushed my tail light and dented my exaust this weekend, what should i put in for a rear shock?:confused:

02-25-2002, 09:53 AM
Get it rebuilt by Marcums ATV,,,cost ya about $250,,,,it'll work as good as any aftermarket shock or better..I had mine done and it's awesome,,plus ALOT cheaper than an aftermarket one.

beerock
02-25-2002, 11:46 AM
you definately need the shock rebuilt, since you keep bottoming it.

you could also tighten the spring about two turns to see if that helps.

jumping real high and landing on a flat section will bottom out almost any bike if your high enough

02-25-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by beerock

jumping real high and landing on a flat section will bottom out almost any bike if your high enough

Or if your a fatbutt..:D :D

400MXer
02-25-2002, 02:26 PM
How much money do you want to spend?

James70214
02-25-2002, 05:56 PM
Definitley get it rebuilt and make sure you tell them exactely what kind of riding you do. If you get any extra time throw some dirt in there for a landing.

Ryan-WB440ex
02-25-2002, 10:38 PM
well hopefully in summer when all the boys get out we'l have some 4x4's to carry the stuff to the pits to build landings! but im sort of new to the sport so i don't know how far im gonna fly and over shoot the landings by ALOT! cause i dont want to run head on into the back of a landing with my front end and eat the front bumper then wrap my nuts around the steeing colum and fly off the bike hoping the bike doesnt roll to a stop with the exhaust pipe on the side of my face =). i just need to know which is the best rear shock for taking big jumps. and im not a fat ***.:devil

tprender
02-26-2002, 06:54 AM
Like they are saying have your shock rebuilt. Honda puts a good rear shock but not fronts on there quads. Before you have it done, check the sag on the rear shock. It should be about 3 inches difference you on the quad and off the quad. If you don't know how to adjust the sag oast again and someone or I will tell you how. Honda sets the sag way to soft.

Ryan-WB440ex
02-26-2002, 08:59 AM
ok so i dont have to change the spring or anything? i will try what you said. thanks alot guys

400exBro
02-26-2002, 04:03 PM
Send em to Elka in Montreal they will do it for $150 cdn, tell the guy on the phone that you want it setup for mx, and then your weight, ship it to em( not much to ship to Quebec from Ontario) and they will do it in 3 days and you'll get it back and then it is all good.
lata
Bro

Also Ryans-WB440ex, the landing at Gopher dunes are sweet, jumps are like 15 high and is all sand huge doubles , i jump em so you'll have no problem.