PDA

View Full Version : upper a-arm aluminum

Tommy 17
01-28-2004, 09:35 AM
would u guy trust a upper aluminum a-arm... i was just reading that the arens long travel upper a-arm is aluminum...

u think it'll hold up... if not i'll just go get laeger or JB...

Dave400ex
01-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Tommy I am not sure the final LT arm has an aluminum upper. The site has not been updated for a VERY long time. You might want to check on that. Oh, and I would trust John anyways.

smith
01-28-2004, 09:55 AM
the new a-arms from Arens are not going to be aluminum yet. Although it is trustworthy...the new YFZ top a-arms are aluminum without troubles!

Cole Trane
01-28-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say chromoly is better......... get gibson.

crap-banshee32
01-28-2004, 10:36 AM
i would trust a alum. upper arms...b/c it doesnt have that much stress doing applied to it as the lower arm does.

lil400exman
01-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by crap-banshee32
i would trust a alum. upper arms...b/c it doesnt have that much stress doing applied to it as the lower arm does.
and its from john too the million mile frame man!:devil:

01-28-2004, 11:11 AM
I would trust anything John makes and recommends, as stated before his frames aren't called the million mile frames for nuttin..:D

Also, the upper arms do actually take a lot of abuse. The upper arm bushings were out faster than the lowers normally..;) I'd say the reason the uppers can be aluminum and not the lowers is because the lowers take the abuse of the terrain, like rocks, logs, dirt, etc. The uppers don't take that kind of abuse..

boogiechile
01-29-2004, 07:37 AM
Upper arms take abuse, but not nearly as much as the lowers. all the weight of the quad is on the lowers and the lower ball joint is under much more stress than the upper. The lower arm is trying to be bent down in the middle and up on the ends at all times. That is why lower arms are made of bigger material than the uppers. All the upper arms realy do is hold the spindle up straight by grabbing it at the upper ball joint. The side stress of the tire wanting to lay over is the bulk of the load on the upper arm. Aluminum arms can be plenty strong if designed right. The real stress on the upper arms comes when you hit something like a tree. Then the force pushing on the spindle to lay it over increases dramatically and the upper a arm will give (probably the lower too). But then its better to sacrafice the upper arm than the frame, so you dont want the upper too tough. The upper arm bearings take a beating every time the quad lands and this is worsened when negative camber is used (and we all use neg to handle better). when landing the tire hits the ground and tries to push out at the bottom pivoting on the lower ball joint. This action slams the upper arm toward the frame loading the bearings. This is also where much of the added stress of offset wheels is placed. I still have not noticed more wear on the uppers than lowers however.

Pappy
01-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by boogiechile
I still have not noticed more wear on the uppers than lowers however.

yeah but you ride like a sheela:eek: :blah: ;)

go arens tommy, youll be fine

boogiechile
01-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Pappy, whats that all about? I was just trying to share a little useful info. You just kiddin around or takin a real stab at me? Kiddin around is ok as I like to poke fun as much as anybody, but i wasn't sure what you meant.

Anyway, if I ride like a Sheela, than Sheela would make you look like you need a Powerwheels quad. just kiddin, hope all is well.

Tommy 17
01-29-2004, 02:25 PM
boogie hes just jokin with ya... look at the :p ;) faces...

anyways... arens it will be... i was talkin to john today and hes a really nice guy to deal with... mine will be ordered next week!!!

ordered my elkas today:devil:

boogiechile
01-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Did he say he was still using an aluminum upper. Would be sweet if he did.

Dave400ex
01-29-2004, 04:08 PM
They will be chromoly, not aluminum!

Jnine
01-29-2004, 10:15 PM
Hello guys:

You are all correct. The uppers will stay 4130 Chromoly for a while. I wanted to do aluminum, and it can be done, but by the time you build them to withstand the loads, they get as heavy as the 4130 arms. When we figured that out there was little point in doing aluminum. Good old chromoly it is for now! By the way, there was a lot of good info in several of the previous posts about loads on the a-arms, but it might surprise you to know that the biggest load on the upper a-arm is in braking. Every time you clamp the front brakes on it is trying to twist the arms. Thought you might want to know!

Talk to you later.

Tommy 17
01-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Jnine

but it might surprise you to know that the biggest load on the upper a-arm is in braking. Every time you clamp the front brakes on it is trying to twist the arms. Thought you might want to know!

Talk to you later.

i never relized that but now that i think bout it it would def put alot of stress on them!!!

Dave400ex
01-30-2004, 01:51 PM
You order them A-Arms yet Tommy?

Tommy 17
01-30-2004, 02:07 PM
monday i hope!!! i'm waiting for my elkas to sell... i've had 7 people back out on me so far... i wish people would stop bc then i tell someone this other person wants them and then that person backs out and the other persons found something else... that and i loose track of whos serious and whos not...

god i'm ready to just throw them away:eek2: :blah:

but after talkin to john hes one of the nicest guyz i've ever talked to bout his parts... very helpful and answered everything i asked + more... i'll never buy a chassis part anywhere else now... not only that his prices are outta this world for what u get...:macho

Dave400ex
01-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Tommy I feel your pain on the Elka's buddy! I think mine might finally be sold, but will not hold my breath.

I have talked to John many times, and from what started out picking up a Stem, has turned in to something I would have never even thought of. Arens for me, Always!