PDA

View Full Version : jetting gone bad

garett
01-28-2004, 06:11 AM
:( im very confused about this jetting deal i live in IL i have a 2003 400ex e'series slip on airbox lid modded kn w/outerwear i have a moose stage 1 and 2 jet kit i was told to run 155 main and a 42 pilot ? how many disc's should i have on pipe? and is 155 and 42 for winter or summer? does it also matter if choke is removed(or is that a bad idea ? please help me hell ill pay someone to get this dialed in for me;) lmao i need help lotsa questions. im also new to this chat deal if anyone could please call me at 815-637-4366 id like to talk bout this tyvm ,Garett nelson

JOEX
01-28-2004, 09:12 AM
I think the Moose jets are the same as Dyno jets, they have a different numbering system than stock kehein jets. A 155 Kehein should be about right but a 155 Dyno jet might be a bit big. The 42 pilot should be fine.

I accept Paypal:p

cals400ex
01-28-2004, 02:20 PM
yeah, i live in illinois and i do accept cash or check. no, just kidding. :D

i have a feeling the people that told you to use the 155 mainjet is someone referring to keihin jets. the jets in the jet kit are not the same as keihin jets. so a 155 moose jet is NOT the same as a 155 keihin jet. i would try to go by the instructions that came with the kit. i have never used jets from a kit but always keihin jets. so, it would be hard for me to tell you exactly what numbers to run.

the jet kit comes with a needle too. this needle is different from stock and you also have the option of using a washer under your needle if need be. since i haven't used a jet kit before, i can't tell you where to set the clip at on the needle or to use the washer or not.

a 42 pilot jet should work just fine in both summer and winter. however, you will probally just have to tinker with the fuel skrew a little bit. the fuel skrew acts like a fine tune adjustment for your pilot jet. it isn't that big of a deal either because the skrew is on the bottom of the carb. however, it is some what tough to get to when the carb is on the bike.

what part of illinois you from?
wait, i think you already told me but i forgot.

nikejoe
01-28-2004, 08:37 PM
I have the EXACT same problem. I am in Indiana and have a 2001 400ex and I just purchased a used WB E-series and a K&N jet kit. Being used they have no instructions. I have not gotten a good response yet. I called WB, and they were worthless!!! People try to help, but I think most people on this site just run the kehin jets. If you figure out a good combination let me know. My best guess right now would be a 170 main and a 42 pilot. But that is just going to be where I am going to start based on what I've seen on this site. Let me know if you find something else that Works!!! I thought jetting was going to be easy!! Hopefully I will get a chance to work on it this weekend or maybe next??? :blah:

Keep me informed!!!:eek2:

cals400ex
01-29-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by nikejoe
I have the EXACT same problem. I am in Indiana and have a 2001 400ex and I just purchased a used WB E-series and a K&N jet kit. Being used they have no instructions. I have not gotten a good response yet. I called WB, and they were worthless!!! People try to help, but I think most people on this site just run the kehin jets. If you figure out a good combination let me know. My best guess right now would be a 170 main and a 42 pilot. But that is just going to be where I am going to start based on what I've seen on this site. Let me know if you find something else that Works!!! I thought jetting was going to be easy!! Hopefully I will get a chance to work on it this weekend or maybe next??? :blah:

Keep me informed!!!:eek2:

i say go smaller than the 170 for sure. i don't know what comes in the kit, but i would start somewhere around a 155.

garett
01-29-2004, 06:28 AM
they put a 170 in mine , plug was as black as jesse jackson runs like crap. i talked to a guys at dealership who races , he's gonna fix it for me n take out choke also ill let ya's know what i end up with . i thank you all for the help!!!, BTW cal im from rockford IL,

garett
01-29-2004, 06:32 AM
oh i forgot does anyone have a clue on what # of disc's works good for this e'series exhaust with jetting? keep in mind i have a slip . i think the stock header was big enough for it w/o engine hops. i would have lost power gettin header with no cam/bore kit?

cals400ex
01-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by garett
oh i forgot does anyone have a clue on what # of disc's works good for this e'series exhaust with jetting? keep in mind i have a slip . i think the stock header was big enough for it w/o engine hops. i would have lost power gettin header with no cam/bore kit?

the WB with pro meg headers produces a lot of power even on a stock bike. however, i don't think you can just buy the pro meg headers and put them on a slip on. i believe the headers will be too big to fit on the silencer.