View Full Version : Stripping down frame?

416rider
01-27-2004, 10:59 PM
:devil: What would be the best way of stripping down my frame to get it powder coated without losing parts like remembering where things go and what bolts got to what thing?:devil:

emj426
01-27-2004, 11:14 PM
I'm in the middle of doing the same thing to mine right now, but I have another one that I can look at when I start putting mine back together.

F0URZER0ZER0
01-27-2004, 11:44 PM
put the bolts in baggys...then either write what the bolts are to or tape em to the part. for instance the 4 bolts for the bumper...put in a baggy then tape em to the bumper...did my bike twice and havent lost a bolt

spincr4hire
01-28-2004, 06:14 AM
yep, put things that go together in ziplock bags, and label where they go. Also helps to have a service manual.

k2-dawg
01-28-2004, 06:52 AM
^^^ I'm with him. Service manual is great to have, especially for the torque settings. Zip lock baggies and a sharpie should do the trick.

However, bolts that go directly into your frame, you may want to leave in, for two reasons. 1. Powdercoat is ****** to get out of threads. 2. The heads of your bolts will match the color of your frame.

Everything else can go in baggies. Good luck. Putting it all back together isn't as bad as you think.

ScreaminZ400
01-28-2004, 08:10 AM
and take pictures

seatec
01-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by k2-dawg
^^^ I'm with him. Service manual is great to have, especially for the torque settings. Zip lock baggies and a sharpie should do the trick.

However, bolts that go directly into your frame, you may want to leave in, for two reasons. 1. Powdercoat is ****** to get out of threads. 2. The heads of your bolts will match the color of your frame.

Everything else can go in baggies. Good luck. Putting it all back together isn't as bad as you think.

K2, thanx for that little piece of info about leaving the bolts in the frame. i have always wondered what a PC'er does with the the treaded holes in a frame. i figured they would put bolts in thm themselves and take them out after the process.

mustang93
01-28-2004, 09:37 AM
they usaly plug the holes, or should if its a repatble shop. if the heads of the bolts are podercoated you will probably have trouble getting the socket to fit them and they may get chipped up any way.

danney f
01-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by mustang93
they usaly plug the holes, or should if its a repatble shop. if the heads of the bolts are podercoated you will probably have trouble getting the socket to fit them and they may get chipped up any way.

Yep, I usually try talking customers out of coating the bolts, had too many people bring them back to strip the coating off. I preffer to also plug the holes and tape the threads, makes for a mutch cleaner look.

Mofo Racing
01-28-2004, 10:42 AM
I just stripped my bike yesterday. Me and my 3 friends took it apart and we got it all on video. Its a really long video. We spent three hours beating on the swingarm bolt. Finally we just decided to cut the 17mm end off and hammer it back through the other way. So I wish you the best of luck with yours but be prepared. Its a B****.

:mad:

01-29-2004, 05:08 PM
this is how i did mine. i took things off and layed them in my garage and tried to put the bolts in things that i took out and if it was bolted to the frame put it in a bag and label it. Then take the engine out and put everything back in it. when u get to the frame go to a hardware store and get a bunch of bolts. little hint here. the bolts with a 10mm head are 8mm and a 8mm head is a 6mm etc. found out the hard way. i took my frame into the store with me to check. Then put those bolts in the threaded holes in the frame and only screw them in where it barely sticks out in the back. There u go thats how i did it and it turned out great. and when u put the engine back in put a towel around the frame so u dont chip it.