PDA

View Full Version : HRC cam - no new piston

02-25-2002, 09:07 AM
Well I've decided to take the plunge into my motor and change out just the cam for now. I wanted to get the biggest cam I could without having to hard-weld the rockers or change valve guides or springs to keep the cost down. Also I have a lot of faith in the people at Honda knowing how to make their engines run strong withour sacrificing too much reliability.

That's why I chose the Honda HRC cam. Its been on order now for about a week, and I'm expecting to get it sometime this week. It should be a simple job installing it so I'll get it in there and let you all know what the characteristics are when retaining the stock piston.

Hopefully, I won't lose any more bottom-end than I gained when I put the Big Gun System on. I could live with the stock bottom-end especially if I gain a lot in the mid and upper range.

I'll keep you posted.

breaks-alot
02-25-2002, 10:08 AM
I was just wondering if you could give us the cost of this cam. ALso where you orderd it from(the dealer) Thanks.

02-25-2002, 11:00 AM
I ordered it from Service Honda and the cost will be $286.09 delivered.

MIKE400EX
02-25-2002, 01:27 PM
VistaCruiser, I don't think you're going to be happy with a HRC cam without a higher compression piston. The complete hop-up kit from Honda includes a new piston also. You'll lose a lot of bottom end. If you're not getting a piston, then get the XR cam. Better yet...get the XR cam and stock bore piston from Marcum's for about the same price as the HRC cam alone from Service.

02-25-2002, 01:42 PM
Thanks for your input on the cam setup, but I'm sure that I'll be following your lead with a 440 kit sometime in the near future so I wanted to have a cam I could grow into. I was also kind of curious to see how just changing the cam would affect the performance.

Also, if I loose too much bottom-end I was thinking I could change the front sprocket down to a 14 tooth one.

I've already ordered the cam so I guess I'll be a guinea pig for this setup.

VistaCruiser

Glamis400ex
02-25-2002, 04:07 PM
Hey Vista Cruiser,

I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing you are, Changing the cam w/o the hi comp piston. But, I'm unsure as to which way to go. I don't have gobs of $$$ to throw around so I wanna do it right the 1st time. Eventually I will probaby get the hi comp piston, just not right now.I'd really be interested in the out-come of your project.

Please keep us posted....

Thanks,

Glamis

Blackguywithouta400
02-25-2002, 04:12 PM
Have you guys checked out XR's only they sell an HRC copy for only 179$ its a reground cam just like the others out there, Sparks,TC,GTT i think i would go that route its alot cheaper then the Honda HRC cam. I think you will find you do have more performance with the cam even with a stock bore bike. The cam will just make a bigger hit when u do get the piston, i did my motor the same way. Enjoy the cam what ever u get, i mean it only takes 90min to do the thing.

DiceMan400
02-26-2002, 08:39 PM
Why dont you just save your money and do everything a one time........ The less you are inside the motor the better....... We all had to save our pennies to get our bikes to where they are now....... I am telling you, you will be much better off if you just waited....... JMO...... later bro....

03-08-2002, 10:35 AM
I installed the cam Wednesday night and went for a ride yesterday after work. It runs great. I don't really notive a drop in the low end but I sure notice a BIG gain in the top end. I can hit the stock REV limiter in 5th gear when I'm on gravel. The ditches are full of water so I took it on the road to see how it runs. I'm still able to easily pull it up into forth gear wheelies and it seems to pull about as strong as ever, it just doesn't stop pulling till it hits the limiter.
The cam has .025" more lift than stock and quite a bit more duration from the look of the lobes. The HRC cam lopes are squarish and the stock cam lobes are more pointed.

After installing the cam, the exhaust vales were still adjusted correctly (great quality control from Honda) and the intake valves only need to be loosened up about .002".

I am pleased, now I need to test it in the dirt.

400exdad
03-08-2002, 10:54 AM
I think a bunch of folks are interested in your results... I still haven't got off my butt and made a call to order up a cam. :confused: Meaning, I just don't know why... Of course, it could be that I'm trying not to charge anything for awhile, and my son needs a new pipe, and he needs some shocks, and we need......:)

03-08-2002, 01:07 PM
400exdad,,,I'm guessin your wife didn't get ya one fer yer birthday huh...

400exdad
03-08-2002, 04:18 PM
Rico... you got a good memory man! No she didn't.... of course it would have helped if I had asked for one. She did get me a $40 gift certificate to a local bike shop though. Of course, I can't find it!:mad:

Matt Fisher
03-08-2002, 08:12 PM
Vista crusiser- for an inexpensive way to boost compression, try running Honda Bond for a base gasket and a Cometic .025 head gasket...

03-08-2002, 11:08 PM
I absolutely agree with Matt Fisher! Since you in there get yourself some more (free) compression-- you will be impressed!