PDA

View Full Version : neutral light is off..

Greg Z
01-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Hey well when i was riding today in the snow, i pulled back into my garadge put it in neutral noticed the light wasnt on. I was wondering the bulb was out or a fuse was messed up. I do remember that I took off my tail light and left it like that to an opening that water could get into that wire if it ever would happen maybe thats what happend. Also i remember when wstarting my quad in the cold the light would go on and off. did the bulb go out? or is there an electrical problem. oh and when i go in neutral it stays there but no light I can strart it in neutral but no light :-D

so is it the bulb

or electrical some where problem ?

I think its electrical some where problem any one agree? or any other opinions?

all opinions are welcome:D

mikeman828
01-28-2004, 05:34 AM
sounds like you have a bad neutral indicator or a cut wire going to it.

On my 300ex the light would work when cold, but after it warmed up, the light would go out.... turned out that one of the wires was shorting against the case.

One thing to try is turn the key on, make sure it's in neutral and wiggle the wires from the neutral switch. That'll tell you if it's a bad wire.

The shop manual for a 400ex says: " disconnect the neutral switch wire connector and check for continuity between the switch and engine ground. There shoud be continuity with the engine in neutral, no continuity with the engine in any gear except neutral."

Try that..... it might be helpful to get a shop manual if you don't already have one.

:cool:

dirtmomma
01-28-2004, 08:41 AM
I'm sorry but why do you NEED a nuetral light?????????? Do you not know when your bike is in nuetral :huh mine hasn't worked since I got it but I took them off anyway!!

Greg Z
01-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
I'm sorry but why do you NEED a nuetral light?????????? Do you not know when your bike is in nuetral :huh mine hasn't worked since I got it but I took them off anyway!!

why do i NEed one??? I want my bike to be flawless to me this is a flaw if i ever want to sell it in the near future..

And no I do when my quads in neutral:rolleyes:

dirtmomma
01-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Greg Z
why do i NEed one??? I want my bike to be flawless to me this is a flaw if i ever want to sell it in the near future..

And no I do when my quads in neutral:rolleyes:

Take it easy I guess I should of said I was playin wit ya a little;)

Greg Z
01-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Take it easy I guess I should of said I was playin wit ya a little;)

lol i was i didnt mean to sounds mean :)

but thats why i baby my quad and middle of riding sessions i stop and check if everything is tight :blah:

hondaryan
01-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Disconnect the connector at the nuetral switch and ground it with the key on. If the light comes on, the problem is not the wiring or the bulb and you should check the switch. If the light does not come on, check the fuse and wiring and the bulb. Good luck.