PDA

View Full Version : stage 1 took away bottom end

linkindust313
01-27-2004, 08:36 PM
it seems like when i had the hot cams stage 1 put in it took away some bottom end, anyone know why this would happen? i dont think i should have to change the piston for this mod. in a flat out drag wit ha stock 400 the stock 400 will pull away...that aint right.

Juggalo
01-27-2004, 09:12 PM
if your worried about drag racing, you want top end power. thats why it pulled away probably

Steve-o 400EX
01-28-2004, 07:57 AM
You should put in a higher compression piston with anykind of performance cam. The stage 1 is more of a midrange cam where the stage 2 is topend. I did a 416 on my quad and the piston makes up for the lost bottom end power. Basically if you just put in a stage 1 cam ur probably only pulling hard in the midrange with a stock piston. Or ur jetting could be a little off. My suggestion is to put in a high compression pistong and you should be set.

cals400ex
01-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by linkindust313
it seems like when i had the hot cams stage 1 put in it took away some bottom end, anyone know why this would happen? i dont think i should have to change the piston for this mod. in a flat out drag wit ha stock 400 the stock 400 will pull away...that aint right.

it isn't the cam in my opinion.

1. your running a 39 tooth rear sprocket. if your only dragging up to 3rd or 4th gear, thats fine. if your wanting power in 5th, i would drop that 39 to 37 or 36 assuming your rear tires are the same height as stock.
2. your running bandit tires. these are heavy and yes they will slow you down. i noticed quite a large difference from running aftermarket front tires that were only one inch wider than stock for drag racing. i went back to the factory width and one inch smaller and now the power is much better through all of the gears. the lighter the tires the better and is noticable.
3. make sure your throttle cable is adjusted. this makes a big difference. you only want about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch of play in the throttle lever. if there is more your carb isn't opening up all the way and you will have less power and yes it is quite noticable. if you need to adjust it, the adjustments are made right up on the handlebars.
4. jetting can make or break performance. if your too rich, your hurting power. most new-be's think bigger is better when jetting. the fact is, if the bike is jetted a little lean it will be quicker. running a tad lean probally won't hurt anything. running really lean might give you problems.