PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

TCracin440ex
01-27-2004, 06:46 PM
ok i dont want to sound like a moron.....but my clutch lever on my 400ex is tight as hell....it aint the cable...but i have an idea what it is...i think its the clutch springs....they are worn out...but my friend is sayin im wrong...its either gotta be 1 or 2 things the clutch cable or the clutch springs, im almost sure 100% sure it aint the clutch because ive burnt a few clutches out before on my previous bike a 92 250x...so i kno what a burnt out clutch would feel like....im wondering if i buy a new set of springs would it fix it....i also think itsbecause the lil metal piece on the steering stem clamp broke off...and that piece is what keeps pressure on the cable...im going to try and take my cable off and see if its not routed right....can some 1 offer suggestions what it may be

01-27-2004, 08:17 PM
sounds like the cable more than the springs...buy the cable first, they are only like $13 at your local dealer. I wouldn't get the motion pro cables either, I have bought them & I know alot of people that have bought them & they are usually too long & have too much slack. is the new cable doesnt solve your problem then i'd go in & see how your fibers & springs are doing & have a new gasket on hand ;)

TCracin440ex
01-27-2004, 08:21 PM
do u kno what im talkin bout tho when i say that lil metal piece that retains the clutch cable broke off on the steering stem clamp...thats posta keep tension on the rubber so it dont move...the cable could also be routed wrong.....my clutch is all the way back down on my handle bars and its hard as chineese arithimatic <sp to pull..

nofearhonda
01-27-2004, 10:47 PM
is it a stock clutch lever? cuz i bought an aftermarket one and it had adjustments.

TCracin440ex
01-27-2004, 10:49 PM
nah its not an aftermarket clutch lever its a lever off a dirt bike...the lever has nothing to do with it.....its the cable, or clutch springs

tprender
01-28-2004, 06:24 AM
I would check out your cable and then how you have it run. The only place that the cable hooks to is the loop near the exhaust at the front of the engine and then the clamp at the end of the cable. The cable shoulb be free around the steering stem so that it cause the cable to bine. If your springs were worn out the cable would pull very easy. when the springs wear out they loose there tension, which makes them very soft.

01-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Go buy a new clutch cable for $15 and swap it out. That will tell you if it's the cable or not. It's absolutely amazing what a fresh cable can do for both the clutch and the throttle..:cool:

TCracin440ex
01-28-2004, 02:20 PM
i think imma just solve all my problems....imma get a easy pull clutch for 15 dollars off ebay, get a new clutch cable 13 dollars , get a barnette racing clutch & springs 112.95...and a new steering stem clamp that holds the cable in place....