PDA

View Full Version : 300 shuts off in 3rd... Whats the deal

BS300ex5
01-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Ok i'm posting this for a friend... he has a 96 300ex and he just started gettin this problem... he can go and has plenty of power in 1st and 2nd but when he grabs third it just shuts off like you turned the key off... if he shifts back down to second it will restart itself and keep going but he cant get into third and keep it running... anyone ever run into somthing liek this or know anything about it.??? thanks guys, Branden.

sandspanker
01-27-2004, 05:25 PM
:confused: maybe check the reverse revlimiter I had a 91 250x that would cut out but it did not die.

JDiablo
01-27-2004, 06:40 PM
wow,this is a first i never heard of something like this b4:confused: :confused: ......it is prolly ummm...........uuhhmmmmmmmmm idk someone help me out here im stumped

hondarider2006
01-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
wow,this is a first i never heard of something like this b4:confused: :confused: ......it is prolly ummm...........uuhhmmmmmmmmm idk someone help me out here im stumped

lmao than why did you post???

I remember a long time ago my dad had an old kawasaki and he put the airfilter on backwards....or somthing like that and it wouldn't go past 2nd gear. If I hammered the thorttle it would just die, even if I eased it more and more it would just die....is he keeping the rpms up in the deep snow?;)

BS300ex5
01-27-2004, 08:34 PM
its not as if it isn't getting gas its as if the on off switch gets kicked... its not the filter... its got to be somthing electrical... he can absolutely run the **** out of it in 1st and 2nd but 3 rd just kicks out

guedo
01-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Just a couple things you might try.

Shift thru the gears without using the clutch. This should eliminate a problem in that area. If I remember right there is a reverse button on there.

Prop the rear end up and go thru the gears (be carefull). Maybe a wire is a little loose and the bouncing around shuts it down.

Check that the spark plug and cap are tight.

ZSK
01-28-2004, 02:19 PM
I guess I'll throw my .02 cents in. Make sure the choke is off. Mine would do that if I had the choke on. It would motor right along 1st and 2nd but would shut off is 3rd.