PDA

View Full Version : Snowmobile Question????

JustRace
01-27-2004, 04:55 PM
One of my really good friends has his 2001 Polaris Edge XCSP 600 4-sale for 3200. He put 800 miles on it when he got it, and has only put 400 more miles on it in the last 2 years. He is the only owner. I have ridden his snowmobile quite a bit and love it but have never really kept up with the prices of snowmobiles. I was wonder if this is a really good price, or just an OK price. I looked up the trade in value and the trade in value is 3100 on KBB. Its in absolute mint condition. Just wonder what your peoples opinions are.

JDiablo
01-27-2004, 05:20 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :blah: if u want it go for it

jb500ex
01-27-2004, 05:21 PM
its a good price if you are buying it bad if he is selling it

killed300ex
01-27-2004, 06:22 PM
good price. id jump on it expecially for that price with those miles. I love sleds come summer when the quad market is up and snowmobile market is down ill be selling my wheeler and buying a snowmobile. They are so much fun
killed

01-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Well... snowmobile prices get higher when there is snow, when no snow, sell for cheap. Around here about a month ago we hadnt had snow and i had seen 2003 Firecat snopro 440s with 144 woodys studs and only 200 miles for 3800..

Sounds like a pretty decent deal. with only 1200 miles.. But like i said there is almost always a better deal out there that you will find, after you have paid for yours.:mad:

JustRace
01-27-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm getting it. lol We also got a little over 10 inches of snow today. I'm going up north over valentines (waters, MI) and i believe they had like 20 inches on the ground.

JustRace
01-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Now I just have to start learning about snowmobiles. Anyone recommend some good sites?

Red00Honda400EX
01-27-2004, 09:09 PM
you finally have something that will keep up with the dale :blah: :macho

TRX250X
01-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Hmmm, where to start.

www.maximumsled.com
www.fishweb.com
www.michigansnowmobile.com
www.snowmobilenews.com
www.hardcoresledder.com
www.johndee.com (an excellent site for michigan weather, and tons of snowcams in the NCN link)
www.showmethesnow.com

Also check out the auction price reports at
www.snowmobileauction.com to see if that price is good or not.

HiperEX
01-27-2004, 09:41 PM
www.polarisfiles.com is a awsome sight help you out alot its pretty close too this site

Quad18star
01-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Working with sleds everyday , I can tell you these sleds hold up fairly well. Is it piped or have studs in the track? That price is a fair price for a machine of that caliber . Good luck sledding !!!Visit www.royaldistributing.com for all your sledding needs . We're Canada's Largest Retailer for sled parts and accesories and we ship world wide . Can also browse our online catalogues !!

Quad18star
01-27-2004, 10:01 PM
www.ronnies.com , under OEM parts ... has an awesome break down and microfiches!

JustRace
01-27-2004, 10:06 PM
This snowmobile is bone stock (the way its gonna stay). I appreciate all the advise and help. Need to start learning how to take care of it. I should be picking it up monday. Now I just need to start learning the lingo. lol

86350x
01-27-2004, 10:27 PM
I'd pry for 3 grand, as long as you know it wasn't beat on. Those are great all around machines.

You will have fun on it for sure. I would recommend studding it, and installing an epi clutch kit. Your baisic setup stuff that makes machines get from point a to point b faster. And Studs in my opinion make the machine safer. Try grabbing the brake only to have the ***** end of your machine start sliding around due to no studds in the track.

Unless you ride out west in deep powder, 96 studds at least will make it alot more fun to ride.

JustRace
01-27-2004, 10:33 PM
I know for a fact this snowmobile wasn't beat on. Its my best friends snowmobile. I know all about the studs and stuff. Had fun with a MXZ 700 this last sunday and spun out going a little over 40 on a lake. That was interesting. lol

Keep the tips coming if you have them. For example what type of things should I always check before I ride?

86350x
01-27-2004, 10:38 PM
OIL!

Antifreeze

LOL gas!

Bring 2 (throw one in the trunk) extra belts with you, a pair of pliars for the pos polaris choke lever that will break when you don't want it to

Plugg wrench, extra pluggs, a quart of oil, and a quart of anti freeze.

All of this stuff should fit in your trunk and small tool box up front near the hood.

Lol I also pack some american 1's for the studio 10 hotel:blah: :D

TRX250X
01-28-2004, 07:20 AM
Check out the oil in the chaincase also, make sure it's clean. Better look at the shape of the sliders under the rear skid, and the ski carbides. New carbides will run you like 60-80 bucks, and 20 or so for new sliders if they are wore out. If the carbides are wore out, check the skis out good to make sure they're not damaged. Look at the wheels under the skid and make sure that all the bearings are okay also.

Along with what 86350X said to pack, throw a flashlight in the trunk also. It's very valuable along the trail when trying to change plugs, or look at a trail map. And if you throw plugs in the trunk put them in something safe if they're already gapped, b/c from my experience loose boxes of plugs will have the plug fall out and the end of it get smashed together.

JustRace
01-28-2004, 09:47 AM
thanks for all the helps peeps

Quad18star
01-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Always Always Always carry a spare belt and spare oil . If the sled doesnt have an oil caddy ... go to the nearest sled shop and buy one . Make sure you check the track for signs of wearing or tearing . Make sure the idler wheels are in good shape . And if you decide to stud the track ... put tunnel protectors . Last thing you want to have happen is getting your tunnel and heat exchangers tore to shreds. Carry a flash light , waterproof matches , flares , and Ice Escapes . I used to ride all the time with a small backpack with a bunch of extra mitts and socks and some energy foods , just incase something ever happened . Try walking 10 miles through knee deep snow on an empty stomach ... not fun . Also a local outdoors shop might have a set of folding snowshoes .... another great thing to be carrying with you ... all it takes is a bungy cord to secure it to the running boards.

2001400ex
01-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by JustRace
Now I just have to start learning about snowmobiles. Anyone recommend some good sites?

www.hardcoresledder.com

IndyRXL on hardcoresledder. I don't know if anyone already posted that site. If so, sorry. I'm sure there's more but that's the only one I go to.

redrecon
01-28-2004, 08:17 PM
I really like the forum at www.snowmobileworld.com (phat_cat800 on there) . I suggest if you any ice at all to put atleast 96 studs down the center of the track. Have the carbs gone over and cleaned before every season, greese all suspension parts, check over cluctches, check hyfax and carbide runners for wear. When on the trail always have some spare plugs and a belt. Use a little bit of iso in the gas to take out any water and before riding always top up on oil and check the anti-freeze.

2001400ex
01-29-2004, 06:46 AM
Change gear oil after every season too. And when you're storing it in the summer keep the track suspended off the ground to keep load off the suspension and to keep the track from dry-rotting.