View Full Version : powder coating rims????

honduh440
01-27-2004, 02:43 PM
hey has anyone powder coated rims or seen them done does it look good or not?

joedirt
01-27-2004, 03:55 PM
they look for about the 1st month

01-27-2004, 04:13 PM
i thought about doing my rims black but they wouldn't last for very long due to them going thrue alot of the rough stuff

shamisc
01-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Why wouldn't it last?:huh Pappy has his beadlocks rings done and they look good! I doubt he re-coats them every month!

01-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Here's a pic of some rims i got PC'd by pappy..

Pappy
01-27-2004, 05:26 PM
here is the scoop on pc'n rims...

can they be done?
ofcourse they can

will it last?
it depends. if you ride alot of mud, the mud and gravel that gets in the rim and along the lip will scratch and wear the coating.
if you dont use care when installing tires you can damage the coating (how bad depends on how bad you are at installing rims) if you dont use washers behind the lug nuts the nut will chew right into the coating causing it to chip or damage it.

ive done lots of rims. some still look great, others are thrashed. these are made for off road use and we dont ride them easy. i dont have expierence in sand counrty so i dunno if it hurts them as bad or not.

if you have a chitty rim you dont have much to lose.

there are different types of powder (epoxy for instance) that dont have the gloss but will last like a mofo. i believe elka uses this on thier shock springs. if you get them coated for protection...not looks that maybe your best bet.

alot of these colors you see me post do a good job of protection but look is priority one for most of my customers. the slightest scratch shows up due to the high gloss of them. there are other alternatives its just all in what YOU are after.

Pappy
01-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
Why wouldn't it last?:huh Pappy has his beadlocks rings done and they look good! I doubt he re-coats them every month!

i only coated my rings once. then they got hammered at rausch creek...and hatfield. did they chip? nope. but i did lose some coating AND aluminum:p all powdercoat will get jacked up sooner or later. it sure is a ***** to have perty stuff only to coat it in mud, water, rocks and other nasty crap we ride in:p

2000ex
01-27-2004, 06:53 PM
As Pappy said, all coating will get chewed up after a while of off-road abuse. When I did my stock rims, I just taped off the outside edge of the rim so that when the aluminum would scratch or gouge that I would not see the raw aluminum underneath. They are so easy to maintain and look as great as the day I did em'

Woodsrider
01-27-2004, 08:52 PM
I have done two sets of wheels, both see only sand duty and have been holding up well. In the sand they seem to last 10 times longer than in the mud and grime. As soon as I get the RAZRS off my ITP wheels, there gettin coated, before the next set of tires goes on.

shamisc
01-27-2004, 09:00 PM
[ there are other alternatives its just all in what YOU are after. [/B][/QUOTE]

What alternatives are you speaking of? What could be harder than PC other than a wedding D1CK?:D

toledo ex
01-27-2004, 09:02 PM
wedding d1ck?

Pappy
01-27-2004, 09:15 PM
lmao i hadnt heard that in a long time:p

powdercoat isnt created equal. there are several different chemical properties. what you normally see is a polymer hybrid thermo plastic. the epoxy based powders are used alot on like lawn mower decks, shock springs etc. each has its good bad and ugly traits.

alot of manufactures are using powdercoatings these days...check out some of the stuff in the local wal mart or even at sears. i bought a skill saw and the safety gaurds were pc'd silvervein:p a birdfeeder was done in coppervein....etc.

the real revolution in powdercoat has been the hobbiests like myself. its no longer an unaffordable deal for the average guy to buy the minimal of equipment and be able to do small parts.

mustang93
01-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
lmao i hadnt heard that in a long time:p

powdercoat isnt created equal. there are several different chemical properties. what you normally see is a polymer hybrid thermo plastic. the epoxy based powders are used alot on like lawn mower decks, shock springs etc. each has its good bad and ugly traits.

alot of manufactures are using powdercoatings these days...check out some of the stuff in the local wal mart or even at sears. i bought a skill saw and the safety gaurds were pc'd silvervein:p a birdfeeder was done in coppervein....etc.

the real revolution in powdercoat has been the hobbiests like myself. its no longer an unaffordable deal for the average guy to buy the minimal of equipment and be able to do small parts.

hmmm average joe powdercoat... might be good for my mustang? any site to try

AC 400 ex 02
01-28-2004, 04:32 PM
some of the machines in the gym that i work out at have silvervein pc on them:p

Pappy
01-28-2004, 04:36 PM
www.columbiacoatings.com and www.eastwoodcompany.com are pretty good places to check out some start up equipment.

Woodsrider
01-28-2004, 08:02 PM
hmmm average joe powdercoat... might be good for my mustang? any site to try

Pappy gave the best two links, But I dont have anything good to say about the Chicago Electric gun that Columbia coatings sells. In my opinion is is garbage. I would hope that the Hot Coat hobby gun is a better product. If nobody has anything good to say about the hot coat hobby gun, I would recommend saving for the Pro1100. Good luck and have fun:D

only_banshees
01-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Crap, I just got that gun, whats bad about it? Thanks

How about the oven that harbor freight sells??

Woodsrider
01-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Its almost impossible to get it clean, and its just not put together well at all. Mine started falling apart within a month of buying it. The Gaskets that go between the cup and the gun are poor quality and stretch out with use. And most of all the transfer eficiency of the gun just wasnt any where near what they claimed.

As for the oven that harbour freight sells, I'm not familiar with it. But if its smaller than a standard household oven (inside), and you pay more than $50 for it, its too much.

only_banshees
01-28-2004, 10:27 PM
This is the oven they sell
it has a 18x18x18 inside diameter

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46300

Well I will at least try it out, then up grade when I get used to p'cing. i got it cheap on ebay anyway.

fade2black
01-31-2004, 02:09 PM
What alternatives are you speaking of? [/B]

Anodizing will last much longer than PC. And they can dye aluminum any number of colors. The upside is it won't chip, the downside is it will fade if left exposed to UV.

BIGRED400
02-01-2004, 06:42 AM
I thought a transparent red would look good on rims but were told they would'nt last.

250EXstud
02-03-2004, 08:42 AM
I hope it holds up i just sent mine to get done in black.

A4StrokeGuy
02-03-2004, 11:49 AM
I had my stock front rims powdercoated over a year ago. They held up great, through about 10 MX races, a couples days in the dunes and a day at the badlands. I would recommend it to anyone!