PDA

View Full Version : Proper Way to Polish the Motor Mounts?

NacsMXer
01-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Hi, I really want to polish up my front motor mounts on my 400 and Ive seen it done, but I don't know how to do it. The main thing is, that the motor mounts look like they have a very rough finish to them. Can I just go at them with a polishing bit, dremel/grinder, and aluminum polish? Or do they need to be grinded down somehow and then polished? Any help would be great, thanks very much.

meangreen400ex
01-27-2004, 12:41 PM
I just started with some real rough sand paper and then went to finer sand paper till it was real moth on both sides then i broke out the dremil with polishin wheels and went at it with some mothers aluminum polish.

NacsMXer
01-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Just as I thought!! Haha thanks meangreen for the assistance. :macho

exrider123
01-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Hi, I really want to polish up my front motor mounts on my 400 and Ive seen it done, but I don't know how to do it. The main thing is, that the motor mounts look like they have a very rough finish to them. Can I just go at them with a polishing bit, dremel/grinder, and aluminum polish? Or do they need to be grinded down somehow and then polished? Any help would be great, thanks very much.

1.sand down until smooth, start with a lower, courser grit(i like to start around 220,320) then just work your way up until about 2000
2. once completely smooth i use the spiral sewn buffing wheel with tripoli compound. This step is partly finishing and removes all of the scratches and gives it a good shine
3. this is the finishing step with the loose sewn buffing wheel and white rouge compound..this give it the most shine and color
4. after you get done polishing there will be a black residue from the compound in some areas, fill a sink with warm sopay water and take a wash cloth and wipe all of the compounds off, this will not scratch the piece and it still leave a very good shine when done.

NacsMXer
01-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Excellent, very concise. Thanks again for the tips.