PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Tires

WaynesWorld32
01-27-2004, 11:53 AM
I mainly ride trails and sandy terrain (not deep stuff) and gravel, what's a good tire for me? I'm thinkin of ITP Holeshots, Turf Tamers, or Shredders. Which is better suited? (quality is taken into exception). Are there better tires? And another question, should i stay with the stock tire size or go a little smaller? Post pics of 400's with these tires if you have. Thanks
~WW32:confused:

01-27-2004, 12:14 PM
keep the stok tires size...i'd reccommend a regular RAZR on the rears and the pro traks on the front

RideRed250ex
01-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Razrs hook up great on mostly all terrain... excellent in trails, good in not so deep sand even do pretty good in mud.... very durable tires...

Cole Trane
01-27-2004, 06:08 PM
KENDA KLAW XCR'S!!!!!!!!!!

WaynesWorld32
01-27-2004, 06:30 PM
yeah i like Razrs but theyre more expensive than holeshots and plus i heard they dont last as long. is this true?

bmw500hp
01-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Holeshot xcr's for sure out of your choices.

Great sidewall strength, bead protector. Razor 2's are good tires but but debatable against a Holeshot other thatn being rediculously inflated in price. :eek:

BassGin3
02-01-2004, 02:59 PM
razr's are great tires!!! They're all I've gotten besides stock tires so I can't compare them to how fast they wear compared to holeshots or whatnot, but they last pretty long and they're strong as hell too. Great traction and self clean extremely well.

vetteblues10
02-02-2004, 03:26 PM
i just got a set of kenda klaws, 20x11x9. they are so awesome. of course i am used to the stock ones. :rolleyes: i can't wait to get back home from school to really try them out. i must say they look tuff as well. :D

BassGin3
02-02-2004, 07:34 PM
whatever you get, whether they're holeshots, razr's, or kenda's, you'll most likely have a great set of tires on your hands. They've all been proven. Some people have had individual bad experiences with particular tires, but don't loose too much sleep over which ones to get.

y2k400ex
02-02-2004, 08:06 PM
I'm looking for the same thing for my 400ex, one of my friends has the Hole shot XCR's and another just for a set of razors. I'm down in Florida with pleanty of loose sand. Riding both tires I like the XCR;s allot better. Before I rode both of them I was dead set on getting a full set of Razors.......

The razors hook up good but have allot less straight line traction, when you get then to slide they are unpredictable. When you would come into a turn they would stick or all of a sudden break free and slide for no reason. on the exit you would hit the throttle and the would spin.

With the XCR's they are allot more consistent, they would only slide when you make them. When I was in a good slide you could nail it wide open and they would just grab and go were ever the you have it aimed. you have allot more control:D :D

markk
02-03-2004, 11:44 AM
im very happy with my holeshots, but i like the new razr 2's, and about the older razrs they seemed to me to wear down alot faster than my holeshots

a couple guys i know just bought some kenda claws, and they loved them one just ran a GNCC and they where wonderful he said!

shredder seemed to be a harder tire, they lasted a long time and my buddie rode them on the road also
pretty much its what u like or what to $

brandonpeake
02-03-2004, 12:05 PM
regualr razrs do wear really fast to me i would never buy another set, razr 2 's are good but u cant beat the kenda klaws for the price

sweet300ex
02-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
keep the stok tires size...i'd reccommend a regular RAZR on the rears and the pro traks on the front
whats he said

Evan400ex
02-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Try out the kenda Knarly's. They are pretty durable and have really really good wear. The sidewalls are pretty thick too so thats a plus if you ride in rocky stuff. I had those p.o.s stock Ohtsu's and sliced the sidewall open first ride out with my 400 last spring.:rolleyes:

02-03-2004, 02:30 PM
i have a set of regular razzr size 22in in the back and stock tires up front. i ride mostly like u said but more gravel and some trail and they hook up awesome but this is on a 250ex

nat78
02-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Id stay away from shredders if you ever like to try sliding again. In a straight line though they are excellent never had any tire grip like that.

riverex
02-11-2004, 08:56 PM
I have rode with holeshots and razors. I ride in alot of sand mostly packed sand the razor dig too much in sand and the holeshots are the same i prefered riding with the stock ohtsu tires they more predictable and best performing where i ride.

everest21
02-19-2004, 12:01 PM
I have to agree with riverex, I now have the Kenda Klaw 20X11X9s on my 400ex and I liked how the bike handled with the stock tires better. They get a bad rap for punctures but I put hundreds of miles on the Ohtsus through ALL kinds of terrain...anything from alpine to low desert and had 1 puncture...not bad for the amount of abuse I put them through. The Klaws are nice...im not complaining. BUT theyre very stiff compared (6ply) and dont slide as well....they hook up so well they really start to show the limit of the 400s motor(mines stock)....they have to be coaxed into a slide...not as predictable as the stockers. Personally I feel for sport riding how the tires break loose/slide is more important than how they hook up, its a big part of how the bike handles.
Just my thoughts....

foleyit
02-19-2004, 04:25 PM
I've been riding on some Holeshots XCR for almost 2 years and I am happy with their performance. They slide in the corners when I need them too, I've ridden them in washes a they are just fine.