PDA

View Full Version : AMA Supercross rider killed

dwcrash
01-27-2004, 10:14 AM
I forgot the guy's name but a Supercross rider was killed during practice over the weekend. The article said his poor parents were watching from the stands. He wrecked on landing from a jump and landed head first and never moved. Them guys get some serious air. It's a shame to see something like this happen. It sure makes you think about not taking it for granted if you come home in one piece after a race or ride.

hondafox440
01-27-2004, 10:17 AM
:(

I heard about this over the weekend..

"... The mood after the race was somber, though, as it was learned that 19-year-old Jason Ciarletta suffered fatal injuries in a first-turn crash that happened earlier in the day during a qualifying race. Jason, from Riverside, California, was an avid motocrosser, internet buff and a finalist 2002 MotoX Dreams FIM MXGP online fantasy racing league. Our hearts go out to Jason`s family and friends.

It was the first fatality in 32 years of supercross racing."

Max400
01-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Here's the story....

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/01/25/sports/professional/1_24_0419_53_33.txt

ledofthezep
01-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Too bad. Sux to hear stuff like that. :(

It was the first fatality in 32 years of supercross racing
I didn't know that either.

Max400.....Nice Sig!:D

Max400
01-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Max400.....Nice Sig! :D :D

stace609
01-27-2004, 01:58 PM
My husband and I were at the supercross but we didn't see the accident. It wasn't a jump though. It was right after the start, there was a straightaway and then a 90 degree turn and he went over the bale and over the bars. The wreck supposedely wasn't that bad. Just a bad landing. They never said anything about it because some of his family was still in the stands. Very sad. :(

jcv400ex
01-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Supercross scares the hell out of me. On TV, you don't see all the privateers striving to make the gate, and impress all the sponsors. Those guys would do anything to turn a head and be noticed. Competition is soo tough for the bike guys. Everyone thinks they're the next Ricky. I've seen alot of guys riding over their heads get carried out on a stretcher. I know this wreck didn't look that bad, and this probably wasn't the case, but I just had to vent. The pro's make it look soo easy on TV, supercross is all about timing.

At Highpoint there is a nasty rhythm section, only Ricky, Kevin and Bubba where hitting it right time after time. I watched a rider hit the dirt 4 times there, ripped off his rear fender and everything. I had to dig out the program, it was Ernesto Fonseca.....a seasoned pro! Just shows you it's not as easy at it looks, you have to be on top of your game, and really have your **** together.

It's a dog eat dog world out there. Godspeed to Jason....:(

lol
01-27-2004, 10:31 PM
:(

86350x
01-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by dwcrash
I forgot the guy's name but a Supercross rider was killed during practice over the weekend. The article said his poor parents were watching from the stands. He wrecked on landing from a jump and landed head first and never moved. Them guys get some serious air. It's a shame to see something like this happen. It sure makes you think about not taking it for granted if you come home in one piece after a race or ride.

That's terrible:(