PDA

View Full Version : Slotted Stator Plate

david kelsch
01-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Has anyone considered slotting the holes that retain your stator plate as opposed to installing advanced timing key?

A draw back to advanced timing key is their reduced cross section and therefore they are not as strong. I know this may not be a problem on lower horse power motors.

Slotting would also eliminate the cam timing problem associated with the advance key.

I have never seen any aftermarket available. Is there?

Can anyone think of any draw backs to doing this?

Come on summer time!!!

JOEX
01-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Bump....

This is an interesting idea, i'd like to know also if it is possible. I hear ya on the reduced cross section on the Sparks key, that is a minor concern of mine as well.

Joe

david kelsch
01-29-2004, 02:20 PM
DOESN'T ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING FOR US ON THIS?

rrider250
01-29-2004, 08:12 PM
if you slot the stator holes it will not advance your timing. if you look at your flywheel you will notice a sguare of metel on it. that is what tells the cdi when to spark. the fly wheel is magnatized and that sguare sends a spark to a little box that is in front to the flywheel. so you have to move the flywheel forward or back to advanse or delay the timing not the stator.

kitchen157
01-30-2004, 02:46 AM
The sparks key should be strong enough because the flywheel locks on the taper of the crankshaft, the key is only to position the flywheel. If the flywheel bolt is tightened to the proper torque you should not have a problem.

david kelsch
01-30-2004, 08:41 AM
OK, interesting comments.

Looking for more opinions though, come now lets have it.:macho

rrider250
01-30-2004, 09:02 AM
if the 400 was designed like the 250r you can buy a plate to be able to adjust the little box that reads the position of the fly wheel

david kelsch
01-30-2004, 09:51 AM
yeah, its seems that most two strokes have a slotted stator plate, if not someone definately had made them. I know on all Polaris 2 strokes are slotted.

Anyone know of an aftermarket one for a 400ex?

If I have ta I may remove mine and have it custom machined just to try it.

I'm sure a raptor has a tapered flywheel shaft. The modified machine Im thinking of shears a lot of keys.

So I believe a key is for more than alignment. Its meant to also help hold a flywheel in place. If your crank or piston were to lock up, it shears, allowing the trany to keep spinning and not cause an accident.

Im not knocking the advance key, just worry about the reliability a little.

wilkin250r
01-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Are you talking about the trigger? I know Duncan Racing sells an adjustable timing bracket for the 250r. I would imagine you could make something similar for the 400EX.

david kelsch
01-30-2004, 11:22 AM
OK, I understand. Instead of advancing all the electricals, Their product advances only the pickup coil (trigger coil). I hadn't thought of that. Ima gonna look at it this weekend.

Anyone happen to have this on an R and could share a pic.

I supose I could look in some catatlogs and websites and find something too.

thanks.

Any you big boys got sumthin on this as far as pros and cons.