PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Jetting.............

RIDER11X
01-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Does anyone here ever need to alter their jetting in their four stroke for winter riding. Cold air should lean it out right? Is this something to worry about, or not.:confused:

LazeR
01-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Does anyone here ever need to alter their jetting in their four stroke for winter riding. Cold air should lean it out right? Is this something to worry about, or not.:confused:

Best way to tell is a plug chop, and yes in the winter the air is colder thus being thicker.....When the air is thicker your quad sucks more of it in! So it can lean you out a little bit.....I'm not sure on how much it actually leans it out. Hope this halfway helped

RIDER11X
01-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
Best way to tell is a plug chop, and yes in the winter the air is colder thus being thicker.....When the air is thicker your quad sucks more of it in! So it can lean you out a little bit.....I'm not sure on how much it actually leans it out. Hope this halfway helped
Well, this is where I am right now. I installed my CT slip-on last summer. I'm at 1,100' above sea level, and I put a needle from CT in and a 162 main. It will run really good on a 160, but almost too good and may be a shade lean. All of the is with six 1" Uni airbox vents installed in my lid.
So, for winter I intended to run an uncut lid that I have to lessen the airflow a bit. Does anyone think I should bump up any of the jetting too? I know two strokes need to do this, but do I?

LazeR
01-27-2004, 01:05 AM
If you run a non vented airbox lid that might take care of it.....Or you could also try bumping up your main 1 jet size, or move your needle up 1 position or a half......Most likely though there wont be a big enough difference for it to hurt your bike....IMO

cals400ex
01-27-2004, 02:20 PM
if those are your only mods, i wouldn't go past a 160 in the winter months even with the uni vents. i would run smaller than a 160 in the warmer months.

sandspanker
01-27-2004, 05:43 PM
;) cool air means more horse pwr. take the lid off up the jet too a 162 and run the heck out of it :D

hondarider2006
01-27-2004, 07:10 PM
so when its -20 here, I should be gettin lots of extra hp right?;)