PDA

View Full Version : Im new to the board..Am i Running hot?

02-24-2002, 08:41 PM
Hey everybody,
I am new to this board and just got a 400ex. I have a question about my 400. I think it is running hot. I just got it about 3 weeks ago and today i had to add some oil to it. I put pennzoil 10w-40 in it. Will this work or is there better. It runs very hot I think(it did this before i put some more oil in it). Im not sure if its really running hot or not, but the other day I pulled it out of the garage and let it run for about 1 minute tops. I pulled it over to wash it and when i sprayed the pipe it steamed a little bit(just trying to show how hot it is running). I was just wondering if this is running hot or if its about right.
Thanks
Jon

P.S. Im going to change the oil this week.

CBW
02-24-2002, 09:21 PM
chances are that your motor is running alright........remember a by-product of combustion is HEAT (and water) .............and it will not take long for your headpipes to reach running temp.......hope this helps;)

02-25-2002, 04:26 PM
thanks a lot

440EXR
03-09-2002, 09:41 AM
we have 3 400's they do run pretty hot we use the Honda hp-4 oil which is also 10/40 you havent done any mods? exhaust airbox or carb?. Its not perfect but you might want to check your plug color to make sure your not running lean . If its real cold when your running the bike will run a lot leaner. Here we have large temp fluctuations and we find it really affects how the bikes run / elevation also affects carburation
Hope this helps