PDA

View Full Version : speaker hookup questions

Stevie-D
01-26-2004, 07:39 PM
i bought a speaker box with 2 8'' subs, 2 tweeters, and a small amp on it used off of my boss. i put it in my 95 dakota. ive got no idea how to wire all this into my stereo. so i just wired it all into my rear speakers. they sound decent, but my stock rear speakers crack, while the subs are still going strong. how do i wire this to get the most sound out of it? im thinking maybe rewire the rear speakers using the wires from the rear speakers, and rewire the stock rear speakers into the front speakers. this way i can put most of the sound into the rear subs, and a little into the front. this oughta maximize the noise i can make with it. what do yall think?

Guy400
01-26-2004, 07:46 PM
What kind of head unit are you running? If it's an aftermarket head unit than there should be a set of RCA's coming off the radio. That should feed your new amp for the subs. There should also be a wire (typically blue) that's marked for either amp on/off or electric antenna. This wire is used for the power switching on the amp.

jay's 300
01-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Your amp and subs should be hooked up separately from your factory setup. Meaning it's own power, ground and remote wiring. Then you have your RCA cables that run from your deck to your amp, or if you don't have RCA output on your stereo. You can get a kit from Radio Shack that turns your speaker wires into RCA output. Just run your subs off of it and turn your stereo up to where your factory is a listening level. Then adjust your amp to where your subs sound the way you want. That way your not putting too much to your factory speakers and you can adjust your subs separately. I don't know how much detail you need, but this is the basics. Good luck :D

Stevie-D
01-26-2004, 07:52 PM
thanks for the info guys

01-26-2004, 11:59 PM
from what you said, you took wires form your rear speakers and jumped them for your subs?

well the rears are cracking because your overdriving them. when you hookd up the subs you brought the amp down to 2 ohms and the subs are fine cuz they can handle it but your rears, and your AMP will blow soon enough.......

nipps85
01-27-2004, 07:07 AM
Keep a camera with you to take pictures of your truck when it's on fire. :eek2:

Stevie-D
01-27-2004, 07:09 AM
lmao..im prepared. i got a small fire extinguisher under the seat;)