PDA

View Full Version : Jetting with new WB E-series

nikejoe
01-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Hi! I have a Stock 400ex that I have ordered some goodies for. I was just wandering if any one could tell me where to start with jetting my quad. This is all new to me and I am on a small budget but this is what I have on order: WB E-series full system, K&N airfilter w/outerwear, K&N jet kit, Aluminum airbox, Outerwear prefilter airbox cover.

What would be a good starting size for jetting in Indiana! I would like to be able to get it right the first time. I live in a residential area and have no place to test it. So it would be a MAJOR pain to have to try it 3 or 4 times. Please help if you have any advise!!! Am I in over my head???

Also, is it okay to run and outerwear airbox cover and an outerwear prefilter???

Thanks for the help!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

exrider505
01-27-2004, 06:46 AM
When the pipe comes in it will tell you what jets to put in. Read this too http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/jetting.html

nikejoe
01-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Actually I just bought the pipe used off e-bay. It is like new, it has the new WB Logo. ANd there is not a scratch on it. But that is part of my problem, most things are used!!! So NO INSTRUCTIONS!!!! I am somewhat mechanically inclined but I nned some guidance!!!! Thanks for the reply!!! Keep them coming!!!! HELP!!!:confused:

remlapr
01-27-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm running a 40 pilot, 152 main, needle in stock position on my stock motor right now. I'm probably a little lean for the cold weather though. I would suggest starting out with a 42 pilot.

nikejoe
01-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Are you running a Dyno jet kit or just jets from Honda (kehin I think???) Just wondering, I thought they were quit a bit different, so I wanted to make sure!:) Thanks

remlapr
01-27-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm using Khien or however you spell it(stock). I don't what you paid for the jet kit, but you could have just got them individually from your dealer for a couple bucks each. You may even want to start with a 155 main since it's so damn cold right now.

nikejoe
01-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Do you know what the equal would be in a K&N jet kit??? I have one of those already on the way. Are the K&N kits like the Dyno-jet size or like the Kehin (stock) size. Does anyone know????:(

remlapr
01-27-2004, 04:22 PM
I want to say it comes with dyno-jets, but I'm not sure. If it is dyno-jets, I would recommend not switching to the dyno-jet needle. I've heard and seen people have problems with them...

JOEX
01-27-2004, 04:32 PM
I thought that if you use the Dyno jets you have to use their needle?:confused:

From what I have read the Dyno jets have a smaller number than the similar sized Kehien jet. And as far asI know the K&N and Dyno jets are the same as well as Moose jets.

Joe

mustang93
01-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
I want to say it comes with dyno-jets, but I'm not sure. If it is dyno-jets, I would recommend not switching to the dyno-jet needle. I've heard and seen people have problems with them...

maybe Im wrong but the stock needle cant be ajusted. I cant remember but i think it only has 1 groove.

some one please correct me if im wrong:confused:

remlapr
01-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by mustang93
maybe Im wrong but the stock needle cant be ajusted. I cant remember but i think it only has 1 groove.

some one please correct me if im wrong:confused:

Your wrong :D

JOEX - I don't believe you have to run the dyno-jet needle, I know my buddy with a Predator switched back to his stock needle because he couldn't get it to act right with the dyno-jet needle and I'm pretty sure I've heard others say the same thing on here about dyno-jet kits on their 400ex's...

mustang93
01-27-2004, 05:06 PM
reason im asking is my EX had DJ's in it already when I bought it. if thats the case then whats the big deal w/ DJ's why even buy them? I thought the only benny is that the needle was ajustable and had a differnt tapper, thats what the differance was on one of my motorcycles I jetted with DJ's

nikejoe
01-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Okay!!! So does anyone know what K&N (Dyno-jet) size I should start with????? I thought when I purchased this that it was going to be easy!!! Is it supposed to be hard????:confused:

JOEX
01-27-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by mustang93
reason im asking is my EX had DJ's in it already when I bought it. if thats the case then whats the big deal w/ DJ's why even buy them? I thought the only benny is that the needle was ajustable and had a differnt tapper, thats what the differance was on one of my motorcycles I jetted with DJ's
I don't know what the benefit of the kit is either other than a lighter wallet. The stock needle has five grooves for adjustment, and you can get a spacer to triple your adjusment choices:)

They have a different taper than stock, that is why I thought you had to use them when usinf their main jets.

Physically changing the jets is easy, getting the right combination is what troubles most people. I don't know what numbers come with the kit but the general rule is start big then work your way down.

Joe

hondarider2006
01-27-2004, 07:06 PM
I am using the dyno jet kit.....I think they should name it the "don't know jet kit" or somthing, because it has been a pain in the ***** ever sense I installed it. I am considering going back with the stock needle, because it ran fine when that was installed....now between 1/8-1/2 it sputters and runs like crap, and its on the 3rd notch, as was the stock one. I am going to fiddle with it as soon as the blazer is out of the shop....Hopfuly I can fix my problem:mad: