PDA

View Full Version : 440 Question

BigGun400EX
01-26-2004, 11:03 AM
I've got a 440EX, wiesco piston (was suspost to be Ross), HotCam (was suspost to be web). The guy just made me so mad I told him go ahead and put it in there, anyway, what would be the best bet to make it run stronger? I didn't get it ported cause I couldn't find anyone close to do it, is that really that important? I know a carb would probably help allot but without porting/polishing would it not get anywhere close to it's full performance?? Any help would be nice.

cals400ex
01-26-2004, 01:56 PM
what compression piston is it?
what stage cam is it?
did you rejet?
you looking for more midrange, lowend, top end??

Shutang
01-26-2004, 07:40 PM
big gun...make absolutely sure that who ever you get to port it knows what the f they are doing ...I've seen and heard horror stories of butcher jos on porting. I had duncan midrage port mine and am pleased with the results. I am not sure how big the performance gain is on just porting the 400, they did my entire motor at the same time. I do know that the FCR carb is appx 2HP gain and a heafty price tag of $460! OUCH! RIDE RED!

BigGun400EX
01-26-2004, 09:38 PM
The piston is 11:1, I'm not sure on what the cam was, one of the better ones from hot cam (suspost to be anyway) and as far as the jetting he says he jetted it as good as he could with the stock carb but I have my doubts about what he says/does after dealing with him, i mean come on every part i ordered was a differn't brand name then what I asked for. I think it isn't gettin enought gas because it would cut off in 5th wide open a coupple times but to tell you the truth I havn't ridden it much at all since I got it back.. one of my friends took it one weekend though and he has a 400 and he said it was a ton faster then that, said he smoked a KFX. Maybe it just doesn't seem much faster to me I don't know I need to ride it more bottom line. Another thing is it smokes for a while when you first start it, my first thouhgt was he didn't set the valve seals right but someone said they do that after a rebuild like that is that so? they said it would clear up in a while but I'm not sure... what do ya'll think?? Anyway thanks for the replys.

BigGun400EX
01-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Oh yeah all that talkin I forgot one of your questions, we just play ride mostly but every now and then we'll line em up in a drag or fly down this back road, I ride with mostly people on raptors so straight blowin them away would be nice cause they talk allot of trash so id like it to be right there with them on top end but in my opinion i like bottom to midrange power allot better.

Sick0
01-26-2004, 11:29 PM
it sounds like you need to rebulit the valves to me. The hot cam with wisco piston ain't going to make tons of power. The 400ex motor is tame. even with your motor mods. but it should still be strong and smooth.

tnine416
01-27-2004, 06:55 AM
so what else can you do to a 400ex to make it un-tame.
oversized valves, valve job, porting and boring?I can't think of anything else that would make it faster, I want to be able to smoke raptors too, i have before but it was too close for comfort

cals400ex
01-27-2004, 02:10 PM
i would take the carb apart and see what jets are in there. if you have your doubts with him and also it seemed to cut out on top end, your jetting is off unless something else is wrong. jetting can really help you out if it is wrong.