PDA

View Full Version : cam in a 400ex...

Glamis400ex
02-24-2002, 06:30 PM
Hi folks,

I know this subject has been beat to death about which cam to install in a 400ex for a certain type of riding, with the addition of a high comp. piston.

Well, I'm low on funds at the moment, but I do have some coin for a cam, and really not quite sure I even want to get a hi-comp. piston for the 400ex. Don't scream at me yet.

I hear so many things about different cams, I am about to lose my mind.Web Cam, TC,CT, GT Thunder, WB, XR400 etc... I want a straight drop in, no mods, and am wondering if this is even worth my time.

I only ride dunes 95% of the time with an occasional trail ride thru the local mountains.

My 400ex is stock as far as the engine is concered but I do have a DMC pipe, K&N, no airbox lid and a Dynojet kit. I like the power delivery of the 400ex, nice and smooth. I'm not really looking for any certain "HIT" in a given rpm range, just more oomph all over. I guess if I had to pick a range it would be MID. (2nd to 4th gear) You really never hit the rev limiter, tapped out in 5th pinned riding the dunes, at least I don't.

So, anyway, I know lots of you folks have hotter cams, with additional motor mods, but I'd likie to hear from someone who just did the cam.

Thanks for your time,

Glamis

02-24-2002, 06:34 PM
The White Brothers All-Around cam from Marcum's sounds like it would be good for you. It delivers more power throughout the entire powerband, and not just a big "hit
" in one area like you don't want. So it should be good for all areas of the RPM range. I'm doing this and the 416 kit from Marcums, I've heard nothing but good things about this setup. Ask Rico if you got any questions, hes the man.

Dave400ex
02-24-2002, 06:50 PM
There is a Guy on here who just did the XR400 Cam. He was very Happy with it. I think just a Cam would be well worth it. It`s a Cheap way to get More Power. I would get a All Around Cam. I think the XR400 adds Power all around. I like TC Racing myself. He has a XC Cam which adds most of it`s Power Down Low, and then a MX Cam which adds it`s Power in the Mid to Top Range. The GT Thunder Cam is also more of a Top End Cam. I thought with the WB you were suppose to get Different Valve Springs? I`m not real sure about the Web Cams. The CT Cams are just Web Cams that CT sells I think. I think the XR400, TC, or GT Thunder Cam would work for you. Just call TC, GT Thunder, and other Places and ask Questions. TC is always very helpful. I would just call a Bunch of the Companies that have Cams you like and Compare them.

NJ300ex
02-24-2002, 07:16 PM
What about the HRC cam. From what people have said it adds some power all over but more on the mid and top end.

Dave400ex
02-24-2002, 07:20 PM
Yeah the HRC Cam is good too. He is looking for a Cheap Cam though. The HRC is around $350 or something like that.

DISHO1
02-24-2002, 08:14 PM
the hrc cam is $277.09 from service honda. here is a link to the power up kit. http://servicehonda.com/xr400r_power_up_kit.htm

VegasEx'r
02-24-2002, 09:55 PM
My riding habits are about the same as yours it sounds like. I am getting ready to put in a 416 piston & xr cam this week. When I talked to Terry at Marcum's he said that the best drop in was the xr cam, & that the WB cam was basically the same. Hope that helps.

ChadEXer
02-25-2002, 07:59 AM
Definately get the XR cam and 416 when you can. I have this on my bike and this weekend at the drag races I was taming 440's and 426's all day. I dont know what it is about my bike but it is fast as ****. I dont understand why I was beating the 440's and the 426's by so much. It cant be riders because I have only been SPORT riding for about 3 months so Im definately not the best rider. Then again maybe I am!!!

Dave400ex
02-25-2002, 02:16 PM
The XR400 is a Good Drop-In Cam, but there is Better ones out there. I would get a GT Thunder or TC Cam. There is so many Drop-In Cams to choose from it`s Hard. Just remember, almost all the Time, Anything you Buy is Better than Stock.

Glamis400ex
02-25-2002, 04:01 PM
Warriorman, chadexer,Vegasexer,quaddin400,NJ300ex....

Thanks for all your input, much appriciated.

In a post also on this page, VistaCruiser posted that he is getting the HRC cam, w/o the higher comp. piston. Someone stated that the XR400 cam may be the way to go, in this instance. If i do decide to go w/ hi comp. stock bore, I'll already have the cam and should be in even better shape as far as HP goes.

I'll keep feeling it out and see what others have to say.....

Thanks everyone,

Glamis

Smoker
02-25-2002, 04:19 PM
HRC copy from XR's only, it's reground so it can be a drop in. Once the warranty is over for my bike it will be finding it's way in and it's $90 cheaper the HRC @ $179.99. Go to www.xrsonly.com and read there history. Al Baker is the reason we have XR's and EX's today. Pretty cool.....:p

powerslider
02-25-2002, 07:56 PM
What you guys may not realize when going to a larger cam with increased duration over stock is that you will lower your compression. The valves are open longer which give you less time to build compression. This is why it is recommended to go with a higher compression piston with the cam. Save your money and do it right.

400exRacerX
02-25-2002, 08:02 PM
powerslide is 100% correct, thats the way i did mine. I was tight on funds too but I saved my money and waited and it was well worth it.

RAPTORAZ
02-26-2002, 06:06 AM
An XR cam works excellent in a (stock piston) 400EX. I have one in mine. In drag races with my buddy, who has a very similar combo minus the cam, I KILL him. Before the cam we were neck and neck. After the cam, I crush him from start to finish. At the top of 5th gear, I'm about 15 quad length's in front. I was tickled pink from the gain I got for $130.00. Money well spent.

Dave400ex
02-26-2002, 02:44 PM
400exRacerX, what Piston and Cam did you go with?

Glamis400ex
02-26-2002, 04:32 PM
Powerslider,

thanks for your input on the cam situation. I had no idea the power delivery was affected in that way........but, since you've explained it in such a way, it makes perfect sense.

I knew I hung around this site for a reason.......there's some pretty fart smellers here.:D

Thanks,

Glamis

powerslider
02-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Your welcome Glamis, I don't pretend to know everything by a long shot but I'm always glad to share what I do know. I have an 01 400EX that is going to get the treatment as soon as I get my current 2-stoke project completed. I am staying with the stock bore but trying to figure the best way to get 11:1 actual compression ratio. I am also planning at this time to go with the HRC type cam. The XR stock cam is not that much bigger than the EX stock cam and I want more mid to upper power with good low end also. The larger the cam the more your power is moved higher in the rpm range. Im staying with the stock cdi as I think the peak power will be still under the rev limit.

You could try this if you want to stay with the stock piston for now, eliminate the base gasket under the cylinder. Use Honda Bond instead and go with the XR headgasket or I think Cometic make a thinner one yet. This will bump up the compression with little investment. You could also have the cylinder decked to remove the in the hole situation and gain even more.