PDA

View Full Version : 250r rear shock rebuild?

nateftbl
01-25-2004, 08:38 PM
How much does it cost to get a rear shock rebuilt by an aftermarket company? Also how long does it take and what company would you suggest? Also can 86-89 rear shocks fit on all the year 250R's???? thanks

beak7707
02-02-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm looking for info on this too, anybody??

airheadedduner
02-03-2004, 11:25 AM
On my R I had LRD do their long traval mod and revalveing. They machine the shock to acomodate a longer eibach spring and revalve it, you gain about an 1 1/2 inches of traval with a stock swingarm. It was awesome. Very plush but soaked up the big hits nicely. After setting it up I had about 3 1/2-4 inches of sag, lowering the bike just a little. I paid around 450 to have it done. The TCS mod is the same price and it is zps, making it a better deal. TCS also machines the body to give you more traval. I don't know about the elka mod for the R but on the ex they do not machine the body to give more traval. They do make it ssd though. It cost around 350. The only downside is that the compression and rebound adjustments effect each other on the EX, not positive on the R. For the money the elka setup is the way to go. If you got the extra hundred I would contact TCS. If you are just looking for a revalve it cost a lot less.

nateftbl
02-03-2004, 12:46 PM
thank for the good info. how long does it usually take to get the shock sent off and back to ya? thanks

LathersR
02-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Um.. to just rebuild and revalve it my Buddy Christian Paul Motorsports usually charges from 125.00-150.00.. Takes 2-3 days for him to do it depending on how many shocks he has to do.. So probably lose a total of 1 - 1/2 weeks riding time..

racerx573
02-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
The only downside is that the compression and rebound adjustments effect each other on the EX, not positive on the R.

Compression and rebound affect eachother on any shock, it's just how they work.

I heard Baldwin rebuilds are pretty sweet. Of course he uses all PEP parts, etc. So you can't go wrong there. I wanna say $300ish for everything.

TCS and Elka make them double rate shocks, so you may want to look into that. I can imagine that's better than single rate any day..

LathersR
02-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
Compression and rebound affect eachother on any shock, it's just how they work.

I heard Baldwin rebuilds are pretty sweet. Of course he uses all PEP parts, etc. So you can't go wrong there. I wanna say $300ish for everything.

TCS and Elka make them double rate shocks, so you may want to look into that. I can imagine that's better than single rate any day..

CPM charges Elka Dual rate conversion, with rebuild and revalving for 325.00. It is the shyt.. Worth every cent

racerx573
02-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by LathersR
CPM charges Elka Dual rate conversion, with rebuild and revalving for 325.00. It is the shyt.. Worth every cent

There you have it.

beak7707
02-03-2004, 05:37 PM
I talked to Jeff@quadshop today, he said 310 for the elka conversion and it would take about 2 weeks. We all know jeff does some great work so i'm gonna go with that.

airheadedduner
02-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by nateftbl
thank for the good info. how long does it usually take to get the shock sent off and back to ya? thanks
Turnaround from LRD was no more then 3 weeks. That was a while ago so I don't remember for sure. It may have been less then that. I told them I needed it by a certin date and they got it to me in time. I think Alan Knowls of CT told me it takes them about 3 weeks for turnaround for them to do the TCS mod.

nateftbl
02-04-2004, 10:19 AM
man so in one answer who do you think the best is?? tcs?lrd?jeff?dirisi?other? I dont know there is too many to choose from! :)

beak7707
02-04-2004, 07:12 PM
They are all going to do a great job. They are all about the same setup except TCS anodizes the shock body. I'm going with Jeff because he was really helpful when i talked to him and he is the cheapest I've found. Also i run elka fronts so i might as well get an elka rear conversion.

airheadedduner
02-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
They are all going to do a great job. They are all about the same setup except TCS anodizes the shock body.
They also machine the shock body to acept a longer spring setup and for more wheel traval. Nice, but not quite worth being over $100 more.

nateftbl
02-04-2004, 11:17 PM
thanks for the imput guys!