PDA

View Full Version : Fuel on and off ??

blancobuck
01-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Hey whats everyone, I have a 2003 400ex and I just noticed today when draining my tank that when I turn the fuel switch onto ON, it works with the reserve tank. When I turn the switch to the reserve position it works with my whole tank. I just bought the thing and would like to fix it, anyone know how to do so ?? THanks again guys, Blanco

toby400ex
01-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Take the screw out and turn the switch to the right position.:huh

tprender
01-26-2004, 05:57 AM
There is only one tank or chamber in the gas tank. There is a tube that sticks up in the tank from the petcock, that is the on setting for the petcock. the reserve setting will drain from the very bottom of the tank. When you use the on setting it will get gasfrom the tube that sticks up. The inlet on this tube is about 1 in or so up on the tube. By doing this it will drain from the tank and leave about 1/2 gal of gal in the tank which is your reserve. Then when you turn the knob to reserve it will then use up the remaining gas from the tank. I hope that you get what I am, saying, it sounded like your petcock is correct, the knob is slotted and can only go on 1 way.

zephead400ex
01-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by blancobuck
Hey whats everyone, I have a 2003 400ex and I just noticed today when draining my tank that when I turn the fuel switch onto ON, it works with the reserve tank. When I turn the switch to the reserve position it works with my whole tank. I just bought the thing and would like to fix it, anyone know how to do so ?? THanks again guys, Blanco

Which way does the arrow point when you switch it to on? off?

Arrow pointing left is off. Down is on. Up is reserve. Off is left.

blancobuck
01-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Hey guys thanks for the responses. I noticed this little problem the other day when I drained the tank. I put the arrow down to the ON position and no gas came out. I then turned the arrow to the right so it was facing up, and the tank drained. Then when I run the quad, it stalls out after like 10 mins when the arrow is facing down on the ON position. I then turn the switch all the way to the right so the arrow is on the RESERVE swith and it will run all day long. I really dont get how this is happening ? Could the person who jetted the quad put something in the carb backwards ?? Let me know of anymore ideas. I appreciate it .
Blanco

phebus
01-26-2004, 10:47 AM
If you are low on fuel, that is the only way it will work. I f you have plenty of fuel, it sounds like you need a new fuel valve.

zephead400ex
01-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Hmm...could be something in the petcock. Might try to take off the petcock and make sure there is nothing obstructing fuel flow. Make sure the hose that is used for the "on" posistion is not obstructed also. If all is clean, a new fuel valve might be instore.

cals400ex
01-26-2004, 01:52 PM
i don't really understand your problem. when the arrow points to the left, it should be off. just look at the black plastic piece right on the outside of the petcock. it says on, off and reserve. if your low on fuel, it will only work when in the reserve position. if it is coming out when pointing to the left, your black plastic petcock nob might be on upside down.

01-26-2004, 08:06 PM
mine is like that too only because i put the thing on there wrong and im too lazy to take it off and fix it. Thats ur problem jsut run it to however it works just remember horizontal is off.

Chanman420q
01-26-2004, 08:18 PM
just so u guys know, the wording on the black panal is wrong, they need to flip flop it to match the gas tank, it doesnt matter which one its set on when you have a full tank. because gas is still flowing

blancobuck
01-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate all the help.

cals400ex
01-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
just so u guys know, the wording on the black panal is wrong, they need to flip flop it to match the gas tank, it doesnt matter which one its set on when you have a full tank. because gas is still flowing

the black panel on my plastic says off when the arrow points to the left, it says on when the arrow points down and it says res when the arrow points up. this is exactly how my petcock works. yes, when you have a full tank, it won't matter if it is on "reserve" or "on."

F-16Guy
01-27-2004, 02:56 PM
There is a fine mesh filter on each inlet tube ("on" and "reserve") of the fuel petcock. Drain the tank completely and remove the petcock assembly. Check both screens for varnish build-up and crud. I'm pretty sure the indicator is keyed so you can't put it on backward.