PDA

View Full Version : Fly wheel Weights

300exQuadracer
01-25-2004, 08:13 PM
who runs a heavier flywheel or lighter flywheel and why?? just wondering about the +`s and -`s on these cause i have an extra one for my r and might do a little experimenting

muff
01-26-2004, 02:35 PM
ok..i've never actually done any of this..but its just what i've learned on here

I got this from mickey dunlop:

a lighter flywheel will spin easier but the less rotating mass will want it to stall easier. I know he didnt shave the flywheel on his 500exs, but it might be different with a 250r

wilkin250r
01-26-2004, 03:32 PM
This is an area that is difficult to explain without getting too technical. Rotational inertia, angular momentum, and moment arms are all terms you usually don't get into until an engineering physics class.

The best way for you to understand is to go to a toy store and buy a gyroscope ( a nerd's toy). You'll notice that even though it's not very heavy, it's also not very easy to get it spinning fast. Why? Rotational inertia has a larger effect than linear inertia, generally. It requires a lot less energy to throw it than to spin it.

It takes alot of energy to get the flywheel spinning fast. If your flywheel has less weight, your engine doesn't have to work as hard to spin the flywheel. Thus, more available power to the ground. A lighter flywheel won't increase your top speed, but it will increase your acceleration.

A heavier flywheel (flywheel weights) can tame a motor a bit. When a two-stroke motor hits the powerband, it wants to zoom away. Flywheel weights will smooth out the powerband because it won't allow the engine to accelerate as quickly.

300exQuadracer
01-26-2004, 07:38 PM
hey thanx guys i think i got it down now

muff
01-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by 300exQuadracer
hey thanx guys i think i got it down now

nice...wilkin sure know a lot huh :eek2: :p