PDA

View Full Version : rebuild or buy new rear shock????

nateftbl
01-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Should I buy a new aftermarket rear shock, or should I get mine rebuilt by a aftermarket company? If I get it rebuilt what is the best company? How do rebuilds compare to an aftermarket shock. thanks for any help

JDiablo
01-25-2004, 08:07 PM
it depends really,if i was low on dough..hey it rhymes..gettin off the subject here...i would send it out to an aftermarket company,its cheaper just my two cents

nateftbl
01-25-2004, 08:10 PM
how much does that usually cost? what company? how long does that take?

beak7707
01-25-2004, 08:10 PM
I have heard TCS does a great job on rebuilds. I have heard people say they are a good or better than aftermarket. PEP does a good rebuild too.

nateftbl
01-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks, do you know how long it usually takes to complete and get back and how much it will run me?

Tommy 17
01-25-2004, 08:29 PM
i'll be callin about gettin my elka rebuild tomorrow... its around 310$...

ZSK
01-25-2004, 08:29 PM
A little off topic but can I get my 300ex rear shock rebuilt?

sprtrx300ex
01-25-2004, 08:36 PM
cleanshave300ex,

stock 300ex shocks cannot be rebuilt. If I were you, I'd look for a nice 01' raptor shock.

As for getting the 400ex rear shock rebuilt, I would Deffinitly do it. Theres no point in spending lots of $ on an aftermarket shock if you can spend alot less to get your stock shock redone to aftermarket standards. I plan on getting mine redone after I get my elkas.

Meek
01-26-2004, 12:34 AM
I had my 400ex rear rebuilt, and set up with SSD by The Quadshop. I was really impressed with the way that me EX feels now. At the same time I had them redo my Elka fronts, It feels so much faster in the woods now. Tell Jeff that Meek sent ya.

ZSK
01-26-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by sprtrx300ex
cleanshave300ex,

stock 300ex shocks cannot be rebuilt. If I were you, I'd look for a nice 01' raptor shock.

Dave400ex
01-26-2004, 09:20 AM
I have the rebuild and it works great! The Elka setup seems to work very well. I must say if I was to do it over again, I would buy the new rear and linkage setup!

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-26-2004, 09:25 AM
i had tcs rebuild my stocker into a dual rate zps shock for about $375. they actually told me to go with a rebuild instead of a new shock because they feel it works just as good.

NacsRacing400
01-26-2004, 10:03 AM
I have had the elka rebuild, ive rode a few 250r pep rebuilt rear shocks and i have rode pep, axis, and elka shocks and i would say you get what you pay for. My elka rebuild worked great but the aftermarket one worked that much better.

Chanman420q
01-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
i had tcs rebuild my stocker into a dual rate zps shock for about $375. they actually told me to go with a rebuild instead of a new shock because they feel it works just as good.

yah but TCS doesnt make a rear shock, so yea there gunna tell you the rebuild is just as good so they get your buisness.

my take on it is, unless ur loaded or are that good of a rider, get the actuall shock, for those who dont feel like wasting money and are just weekend warriors get the rebuild. because most likely u wouldnt use the full aftermarket shock to its capabuilitys anyways

wilkin250r
01-26-2004, 12:10 PM
I've heard a few people say that the new aftermarket shock is much better than the rebuild. I can't speak from personal experience, that's just what I have heard.

Although, on the other hand, I haven't ever heard anybody say that they were ever dissapointed with their rebuilt shock...

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
yah but TCS doesnt make a rear shock, so yea there gunna tell you the rebuild is just as good so they get your buisness.

my take on it is, unless ur loaded or are that good of a rider, get the actuall shock, for those who dont feel like wasting money and are just weekend warriors get the rebuild. because most likely u wouldnt use the full aftermarket shock to its capabuilitys anyways

actually....they do make a rear shock...so ya....what you said doesn't make sense....at all ;) :p

btw, pep told me the same thing.

"ya man, don't worry about getting a new rear shock, we can just convert yours over and you won't even be able to tell them apart."

01-26-2004, 12:24 PM

my take on it is, unless ur loaded or are that good of a rider, get the actuall shock, for those who dont feel like wasting money and are just weekend warriors get the rebuild. because most likely u wouldnt use the full aftermarket shock to its capabuilitys anyways tisk tisk, i though you have gotten smarter over the past year...always being proved wrong i figured you would wise up a tad, guess not.

your the purple dude.http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/nacsracer27/bukkakesmily.gif

Chanman420q
01-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
tisk tisk, i though you have gotten smarter over the past year...always being proved wrong i figured you would wise up a tad, guess not.

your the purple dude.http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/nacsracer27/bukkakesmily.gif

oh well i guess not everyones a stuck up gotta know it all or i cry whiney ***** like you:o

01-26-2004, 12:35 PM
oh well i guess not everyones a stuck up gotta know it all or i cry whiney ***** like you:o can you PM me with details on how to take your hub nut off...becuase i cant seem to figure it out:confused:

Chanman420q
01-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
can you PM me with details on how to take your hub nut off...becuase i cant seem to figure it out:confused:

sure thing, but to sum it up ill post it here to help others who may need it, and ill send u more indept way in the PM later. in my case the splines on the nut where wedged onto the tip of the axle, and i even broke a breaker bar with a pipe over it trying to get them off, so i took a blow tource and heated the nut up til it was cherry red, then took a screw driver and chizzled the spines off, then just unbolted it. worked like a charm. Good luck

oh shawn, what about getting the lock nut off, thats my next challenge, and what kind of performance can i see from melting my air box with a blow tourch, i heard u had good results from that

slosh13
01-26-2004, 12:43 PM
TCS does make a rear shock. I have one on my 400ex to match the zps fronts. The shock is awesome and IMHO performs better than the stock modified one. Ive had one of the very first rear shocks when they were developed and that has been over a year ago. So they have been around for sometime.

marksuttonjr
01-26-2004, 01:54 PM
I have heard that a good shock builder can make an 86 R shock better than any aftermarket shock. The 86 internal bump stop can be removed for much more travel than any aftermarket shock so when it's properly valved aftermarket shocks do not compare. I do not know how true that is, but it is what I am going to do.

nateftbl
01-26-2004, 02:03 PM
so who should rebuild it???? Does works do anything anymore, I dont ever hear about them anymore. I have works triple rate with rez on the front. Could I send my works front and stock rear to, lets say, elka or someone and the rebuild both of them? or do other companies not mess with other aftermarket shocks?

Dave400ex
01-26-2004, 02:07 PM
I would send your Works to Santo DeRisi for his rebuild. He makes the Works amazing! He could also rebuild your rear shock! If not, check out the Quadshop.

nateftbl
01-26-2004, 02:09 PM
where is santo derisi and the quadshop and how long does it usually take?

Dave400ex
01-26-2004, 02:18 PM
DeRisi (http://www.derisiracing.com)
The Quadshop (http://www.quadshopatv.com)

Call and find out!

01-26-2004, 03:44 PM
just had my front works & my stock rear revalved by santo derisi with the pro millenium kits...got them back after 3 weeks from the day I shippd them out to him. anywyas, they work soo much better. i'd definately do it

JD400exrider
01-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
just had my front works & my stock rear revalved by santo derisi with the pro millenium kits...got them back after 3 weeks from the day I shippd them out to him. anywyas, they work soo much better. i'd definately do it

That is where I am sending mine if and when i do it.

racerx573
01-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Honestly, stock rebuilds suck compared to the real deal. However, when money is an issue, you can only buy the best you can afford. So in that case if you have $800+ get the aftermarket, if not rebuild the stocker. I would highly recommend Santo DeRisi to rebuild your rear since he uses all Axis components.

If you are serious about racing, save up a little while longer, and do it right the first time. I wish I would have.