PDA

View Full Version : How to Prevent the Axle & Sprockets from Pitting

E400X
02-24-2002, 05:49 PM
Is there something I can put on the axle and sprockets to keep them from pitting. I tried to put some WD40 on them before I put My bike in the shed till next ride and It still starts pitting. How do you guys prevent this pitting. It looks like crap and now I can't get the spots off. Also can these pit spots be removed with something. thanks

d33pt
02-25-2002, 12:23 PM
pitting? you mean little rust spots? if wd40 doesn't help, how about some thicker general purpose grease? that should keep the rust from forming by coating the metal.. wd40 just evaporates too quick to help i think

mikeboone
03-06-2002, 05:32 PM
Use VERY fine steel wool on the axle and swingarm, etc. DO NOT use it on your rims though. Rub it very briskly and wipe clean. Use some metal polish such as Mother's to shine and protect it. This procedure will have to be done occasionly--no long term fix

E400X
03-06-2002, 06:46 PM
thanks mikeboone,
I will try that this weekend to see if I can get those spots off finally. I tried the mothers before and it didn't take them off, I'll try the steel wool first this time.

Also is there some kind of protect or something that I can put on the axle and sprockets to protect the from pitting more before I store it in my shed.

mysticfalcon
03-09-2002, 07:22 PM
My axle only gets rust on the break side that side gets rusty the day after i clean it and the other side has never gotten any rust on it. I use 600 grit sandpaper to clean it up then some mothers and that cleans it off good. I've thought about powdercoating it that would keep it from rusting. There isnt anything on there that cant be removed like the a-arms is there?