PDA

View Full Version : cam questions

ridesa02400EX
01-25-2004, 07:10 PM
im planning on getting a cam soon. what kind should i get for a reasonable price. do i need any special tools to install one. is there a certain way to break in a cam. would i need anything else to go with the cam. i plan on getting one where i will not need heavier valve springs or hardened rocker arms.

JD400exrider
01-25-2004, 07:50 PM
For Drop in cams
Hot cam, HRC cam, XR 400 oem cam, TC cam. to just name a
few.

Depends where ya want the power band to be. A mid to top end cam or a low to mid with some top end punch also. Depends what type of riding you do. Beings your up in placerville. Do you ride the woods. I noticed you have the CHM pipe. I would talk to the guys down at CHM. Most of the mechanics there have the 440's
I believe the service manager there tried the hot cam stage 2. Pick their brains a little. Their helpful.

I was up in your neck of the woods saturday to go riding. Could not fit my buddies trailer accross that little bridge that goes over the American river on Mosquito Road. Had to turn around and head out. :mad:

ridesa02400EX
01-25-2004, 08:24 PM
ahhahahaha i go across taht every day i live up there passed that bridge pm me next time you go there is another way into that place other than that little bridge thats just weird i live right by the national forest up there i used to be able to take this little trail right out to the forest until it got blocked off by a barbed wire fence now i have to ride my quad about a mile to where mosquito turns into a dirt road

sandspanker
01-27-2004, 06:06 PM
:D I went with the HRC cam drop right in. cost a little more but you get what you pay for. check service honda 277 and some change will not find it any cheaper. not on the site call them they will know what you are talking about.:macho

y2k400ex
01-28-2004, 06:26 AM
the HRC cam is well worth the money
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89339

01-28-2004, 08:53 AM
I suggest a service manual before the cam..;)

ridesa02400EX
01-28-2004, 08:18 PM
lol ya my friend has a service manual i can use