PDA

View Full Version : GNCC spectators

NEPA250R
01-25-2004, 03:55 PM
I recently purchased the Blackwater Forever DVD. I remember seeing articles about that race in ATV magazines when I was younger, but I never realized just how many spectators showed up for that race. Spectators showed up in the tens of thousands. Has anyone on Exriders ever raced the Blackwater race? I imagine all those spectators could be intimidating to a racer. Is that why the Blackwater isn't raced anymore, because of all the rowdy spectators? Also, did other rounds of the GNCC races have anywhere near that number of people show up to watch the race in the late 80's and early 90's?

01-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Jeff@Thequadshop raced in it a few times..:macho

tprender
01-25-2004, 05:15 PM
I did the last 3 years of the race. It was stopped because of some false pollition in the streams. People would come to the place a weeke ahead ofr time and start parting till after the race. some people neversay the race beacuse they were so drunk. The people at the water crossong were not good most of the time. They would dam up the water and them move the rocks to get you hung up in the deep water and make the stream crossing only one lane or line. Or sometimes as you were going though the water they would splash water on you goggles so that you could not see. It was fun just being there to watch and ride.

79400ex
01-25-2004, 08:53 PM
I was at the last Blavk Water. The people were nuts. The only other ones that usually draw that many spectors are Letterio lyn in tn. and the Iron man in In.

BlasterRacer26
01-25-2004, 09:02 PM
I also have the Blackwater video and i love it...that route 93 river crossing is nuts

WOOLIN
01-27-2004, 06:59 PM
I remember watching it on espn. But espn wasn't very big back then.

cdalejef
01-27-2004, 07:08 PM
I race it 4 years from 90 to 93, the spectators made if fun. They would cheer so loud that you couldn't hear your bike running.
Other races don't get a 1/4 of the spectators that BW did.

emj426
01-29-2004, 09:18 PM
I live like right up the road from where the blackwater was. The polution in the streams is one of the reasons they no longer have it, but another reason is because of the spectators. There was alot of crazy s*** that went down at that race!! I still go there and ride alot but it's not like it used to be. There are a lot of sections that you can no longer ride on.