PDA

View Full Version : Rider Killed @ San Diego SX

Moto92
01-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Rider dies after crash at Supercross

By: CLIFF KIRKPATRICK - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- The first fatality in the 32 years of AMA Supercross occurred Saturday afternoon in Qualcomm Stadium, according to Todd Jendro, the director of Supercross for Clear Channel Motorsports.
Riverside resident Jason Ciarletta, a 19-year-old 125cc division rider, crashed during a qualifying race for the evening's heat races. He was transported to Sharp Hospital in Kearny Mesa and declared dead upon arrival.

A paramedics' communication said the cause of death was from a ruptured aorta. An official cause won't be announced until an autopsy is complete.

"An unfortunate situation occurred and AMA racing and Clear Channel Motorsports has confirmed that Jason Ciarletta of .... Riverside County died today as a result of injuries sustained today in a racing accident in Qualcomm Stadium," Jendro said in a statement. "AMA Racing and Clear Channel Motorsports extend their sympathies to Jason's family."
Supercross is a motorcycle race that zigzags along a stadium floor. There are several man-made dirt jumps riders must go over that send them flying through the air.
They must land and keep going.
The incident occurred right after the start of his qualifying race on the first turn. Riders speed down a long straightaway and must make a sharp 90-degree left turn in a tight crowd.
Ciarletta couldn't turn hard enough and flew over the dirt bank that lines the track. He and his motorcycle flipped over, landing over the barrier.
Nothing was done to the course to ensure this wouldn't have happen again. The track's layout was the type of formation for a Supercross race.
Approximately 2,000 people were in the stadium to witness the crash, which occurred after 5 p.m. The rest of the announced crowd of 61,062 didn't enter the stadium until after 7 p.m. when the opening ceremonies were to begin.
There was a 35-minute delay in the day's events because of the accident. The medical crew that cared for Ciarletta had to return from the hospital before racing could resume.
Heat racing for the evening session was scheduled to begin by 7:30 p.m., but didn't start until 8.
Ciarletta was a privateer Yamaha rider, which means he doesn't have national sponsors and pays for the opportunity to qualify at races he can afford to attend.
Several of these riders are around the country, and they try to make the big event so they get noticed by the big-money teams and get hired.
Ciarletta did not score any season points during any of the three previous AMA races this season.
He gained most of his experience at regional races, and he was ranked 56th on the 2003 Canadian National Pro 100 list on the CRMC Racing Web site.
No announcement was made of Ciarletta's death during the event. Jendro said there were family and friends of his still at the event and Clear Channel didn't want to upset them until they could find out on their own.

cheetah
01-25-2004, 04:11 PM
That is terrible. My prayers go to his family.:(

Guy400
01-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Tough hearing stuff like that. My prayers are with his family:(

Glow Plug
01-25-2004, 04:19 PM
thats horrible prayers go out to him family and friends
:(

400exmom
01-25-2004, 04:22 PM
:(

MILF_HUNTER
01-25-2004, 04:25 PM
thats life. we play a dangerous game. atleast he is in a better place. clearing 80ft tripples with ease.

stupid driver
01-25-2004, 04:33 PM
man, that sucks bad. THis sport is so awesome, yet its dangerous. You never wanna hear about this type of stuff

Tommy 17
01-25-2004, 06:50 PM
:( god speed man...

i hate holeshots... i was in a 1st turn crash once... NOT FUN!!!! theres nothing u can do:(

jst
01-25-2004, 07:25 PM
God speed...

JDiablo
01-25-2004, 07:46 PM
my prayers go out to him and his family R.I.P bro:(

Cole Trane
01-25-2004, 07:47 PM
My prayers to his family and friends. I know we can't stand to hear these things, wish we didn't.