PDA

View Full Version : hydro clutch is a negative

honduh440
01-24-2004, 09:51 PM
i just want to let everyone know that the magura hydraulic clutch is a POS and to never buy one i spent 200 bux on mine and now 3 months later ive been off the track for 2 weeks trying to get this thing back together because the line busted off and it all just went to hell so now im just gonna drop it off at honda and let them mess with it

roostin_dale
01-24-2004, 10:01 PM
hmmm....did you install it right?? No probs. with mine!

JOEX
01-24-2004, 10:03 PM
First negative thing i've heard about these other than price. Can you give some details on how, why and what part of the line broke?

Joe

honduh440
01-24-2004, 10:10 PM
ya at the bottom of the line where it hooks onto the ring it popped off that for some reason and it was impossible to get it back in the line so we drilled it out a lil bit got it in pretty good but not 100% then we tryed to bleed it couldnt get it even close so i ordered the bleed kit probably ran threw almost 3 bottles of the oil just trying over and over to get it right but it had air in it everytime and ya the clutch worked awsome when it was new but if it breaks it is horrible to get back together im just saying that if i had a choice before i bought this i would of bought a pep eazy pull and a new line instead

QuadMatt
01-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Magura hydro clutch is an excellent product. I have had mine for 2 years. I had one problem when the slave cylinder started leaking. The rplacement cylinder was $27. It went on easy. One thing that may help, they are like self bleeding. Meaning, when u put the new line on, you hav e to fill the line and slave as best as u can, but u cant actually bleed the system like a brake system. U have to let the air bubbles rise to the res. It may take a nite, but it works if done correctly. BTW, the slave likely failed cuz it was touching my Sparks pipe. I modified the bracket that holds the slave to space it from the pipe.

Again, this product is AWSOME.

cummingetit
01-24-2004, 10:12 PM
I love mine I would have done it right away if I had known about it. Buy the right parts and you wont have a problem.

QuadMatt
01-24-2004, 10:15 PM
"it was impossible to get it back in the line so we drilled it out a lil bit got it in pretty good but not 100%"

Drilled it????? Can u say BUTCHER!!!!!

honduh440
01-24-2004, 10:49 PM
like i said its impossible to get the male side of the ring into the tube IMPOSSIBLE means can not be done. ya the clutch worked awsome untill one day it just fell apart

YZROOSTINYA
01-25-2004, 12:31 AM
quad, where did you get a slave for 27?

cheetah
01-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Never had a problem with either of my two.

QuadMatt
01-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Replacement slave for $27 was direct from Magura.

01-25-2004, 12:09 PM
i think i will save 150 bucks and get the rtc;)

Claas900
01-25-2004, 12:53 PM
..Cannon's have a Magura,theey work great,very few problems..My friend put a Magura on his CR500..He loves it,wish he would have done it a long time ago.Hes had it for over a year now,no issues..

DantheEXman
01-25-2004, 01:32 PM
I wanted the RTC too

But I heard its a POS also.

Anyone know of a good clutch?

416mx
01-25-2004, 02:18 PM
mine worked awsone when i first got it installed, then as time went on it didn't pull any easier than a ez pull with a cable.
It also didn't seem to release the clutch all the way. Anyone know how to fix, if not i'm going back to a cable.:confused:

muff
01-25-2004, 03:26 PM
turn the little red adjuster knob by the lever :D

01-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by member
i think i will save 150 bucks and get the rtc;)

is RTC about the same as ASV?

440's necessary
01-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Those Magura clutches are not good for your clutch. They do not respond with 0 resistance. In other words the cylinder has to feed the oil through. I feel the cable does this more effectively. This will drag your clucth.
I bought one, got it installed perfectly, fabbed a nice bracket, and started it. It worked for less than a minute, then, I a sizzle and saw smoke. I shut it down, but the damage was done. It was junk. I recommend the braided line, if I would help their cause at all.

chad

honduh440
01-25-2004, 07:04 PM
thank you

JOEX
01-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 440's necessary
Those Magura clutches are not good for your clutch. They do not respond with 0 resistance. In other words the cylinder has to feed the oil through. I feel the cable does this more effectively. This will drag your clucth.
I bought one, got it installed perfectly, fabbed a nice bracket, and started it. It worked for less than a minute, then, I a sizzle and saw smoke. I shut it down, but the damage was done. It was junk. I recommend the braided line, if I would help their cause at all.

chad
I do not understand what you're saying about zero resistance and having to 'feed oil through' Through what? Can you explain a little more? Why did you have to 'fab' a bracket? what was it for?

I've been thinkoing about getting one of these and this is the first thread i've seen that had anything negative about them. I just want some more info before decidnig yes or no.

Joe

QuadMatt
01-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 440's necessary

chad

Yea, I dont understand any of this either. Where did this smoke come from. DId you burn the line on your exhaust pipe? If so, thats simply improper installation. Not a problem with the product.

JOEX, The slave cylinder bracket may require modification if u run aftermarket exhaust. Reason, aftermarket pipes are too close to slave. Its not a big deal to do, but requires cutting and welding.

cade
01-26-2004, 04:51 AM
New cable with rtc lever........can't beat it!! BEST MOD I EVER DID!

01-26-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by cade
New cable with rtc lever........can't beat it!! BEST MOD I EVER DID!

does anyone kno if the rtc lever is the same as the asv...and are u racing the missouri hare scrambles cade? if so what class?

Max400
01-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Does the RTC lever really pull better than stock? I want a Hyd. but don't know if I want to part with 200 Bucks for it.

YZROOSTINYA
01-26-2004, 10:33 AM
if its not pulling all the way it needs to be bled

mine slave leaks a little cause I had it lined up wrong. still works though

2k2-300exnj
01-26-2004, 10:51 AM
I recommend the braided line, if I would help their cause at all.
what is the braided line you are talking about? where can i get one?

insaneracin2003
01-26-2004, 11:25 AM
you can purchase th braided line from Ronnies or probably from Magura itself.mine cost me 57.00 dollars for the line cause i toasted my stock line on my pipe.
the only problem i am havine with the braided line is that i cant seem to get it seeled correctly at the lever,(keeps leaking)

2k2-300exnj
01-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
you can purchase th braided line from Ronnies or probably from Magura itself.mine cost me 57.00 dollars for the line cause i toasted my stock line on my pipe.
the only problem i am havine with the braided line is that i cant seem to get it seeled correctly at the lever,(keeps leaking)
i think i miss understood the use of a braided line i thought you could use them for an rtc lever that is y i was confused... what new line do you recomend for an rtc lever?

4TraxRider
01-26-2004, 03:35 PM
If you get the braided line you would also have to keep it away from the headers. Wouldn't it boil the fluid? I had the Magura and loved and and my new one should be in this week. Can't every say how pleased I have been with it.

hondarider2006
01-26-2004, 04:04 PM
I was thinking about getting the hudrolic clucth....but I can't see spending $200 on it...so I just went with a new clutch cable, and a ez-pull clutch and perch, works fine for me and saved a lot of money;)

YZROOSTINYA
01-26-2004, 04:59 PM
cables and hydro dont even compare.

no matter how much you spend on a cable set up if will never pull as easy as a hydro.

Claas900
01-26-2004, 05:39 PM
..I agree 200 is a lot of money to spend,but i look at it like,the bike is what around 5k easy?..Shocks,1000...pipe $450?..big bore very least 500?...Helment 100..very least?...
New cluch cable $15?..lever and perch 50 to 90 for a good one?..I wanna say iv seen Magura on ebay go for 160 to 180?..And the pull it a lot easyer with less mantices..no cable to lube?...If you route the line right u wont need a steal one...I do kinda agree the Magura is a little much..but to me its so much better..I wish I would have put one on my ex....each there own..i guess..

honduh440
01-27-2004, 11:57 AM
well i finally got magura to respond to my emails and they are gonna fix it for me because that line is not suppose to come off so im sending it off tommorow hopefully it will be all back like it was first

JOEX
01-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Good to hear they are standing behind thier product.:)

Joe

YZROOSTINYA
01-27-2004, 04:21 PM
whats the contacts email

honduh440
01-27-2004, 09:01 PM
heyjude@magurausa.com that is the guy that emailed me back his name is jimi he is pretty cool and real cooperative

honduh440
02-11-2004, 11:50 AM
got the clutch back today they fixed everything back to new and did the work really fast im gonna go hook it up here in a lil bit

Jeffksf
02-11-2004, 12:27 PM
I think the moral of this thread is try dealing with the MFG. first before you go trash their product. If you don't get satisfaction from them then you can go post your thoughts.

honduh440 is getting a nice rebuild and bled assembly for nothing just by e-mailing Magura, now really was that so hard to do.

Now be very carful with your hose routing and you should be fine.
A tip: is to take some old small diameter hose and slice it long way and slid it over the Hyd. hose for protection from heat and abrasion.

QuadMatt
02-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Thats a good tip, using a sliced hose to protect the line.

honduh440
02-11-2004, 11:37 PM
ya good idea with the hose it does seem like it could get tore up easily in a nice wreck...... but the reason i was so heated about the deal is because i sent numerous emails and never got a responce and then i made a call and couldnt get threw to some type of a customer service and about a week later i sent a email saying my opinion and they jumped on fixing my clutch but it does work now its nice to get back to it after using that stock clutch that is old as can be ......later

Jeffksf
02-12-2004, 05:55 AM
Sorry to hear it took a little longer for you to get a response, when I was trying to figure out if they made one for the Z400 I had no difficulty contacting Magura. Have fun with that clutch, I love mine.