PDA

View Full Version : outdated, slow 400EX's

DamageInc
01-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Everyone keeps talking about how the 400ex is outdated and slow. Well, today I was shredding the river with a large group of friends, who were driving too slow for my liking, so when we got passed by another group of a Suzook Z400 and two Raptors, I took off with them. They were riding balls out, but when we hit the long straights, they were barely creeping away from me, and in the twisty stuff I was right back on their ***, and could have passed if I wanted. Sure, it would be nice if the 400EX was liquid cooled, but it's still a good machine and more than capable of keeping up with the newer stuff on trails or the river. The new 450's are obviously better on an MX track, but if I wanted to race MX tracks again, I would buy a dirt bike.

-my .02 for the day

marksuttonjr
01-25-2004, 07:34 AM
I guess that if the EX is outdated the R is ancient, but I have not yet seen an under 300 cc 4 stroke that has 1/2 as much power as an R. Hell I have only seen a few 400+cc quads that compare to the power of that little 250 2 stroke.

tnine416
01-26-2004, 07:31 PM
I used to own a z400 and now I own a 400ex, let me just say that a z is faster but not by much. My honda has a crisper feel to it though, it makes me feel warm inside:D haha...anywayz. I used to race 400ex's all the time when I had my z and when it was stock it was an even race pretty much. I could pull on a ex but not pass it(unless there was a lot of room). With a pipe tho it was a whole differnet story, but the ex's were stock sooooo? I raced my friends raptor this summer on my ex and I actually beat a couple times, but this was only to 4th gear. My friends probably weighs upper 200s but who knows if that makes a difference or not. It was all I could do to beat the raptor but it happened a couple times... the 400ex is a capable machine, and it is not the machine that matters the most, its the rider!:D

exrider505
01-27-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by tnine416
the 400ex is a capable machine, and it is not the machine that matters the most, its the rider!:D

True that!

Jimford
01-27-2004, 02:28 PM
Look in dirtwheels. In the Maxxis 12 hours race a 400ex won in B-class. I get pi$$ed when people rag on EX's. I actually had some know-it-all say that when he raced, the only quads that couldn't make it throgh the water were Honda's. How gay is that? He has a crapter. He was watching me hit a 20ft double. When I asked him to race he said that he had a bad knee from racing. I was going to race him in a awesome tight woods trail. They talk crap but 400ex's are still kick butt quads. I'm just glad that I have a quad at all!:D

ZSK
01-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by marksuttonjr
I have not yet seen an under 300 cc 4 stroke that has 1/2 as much power as an R. Hell I have only seen a few 400+cc quads that compare to the power of that little 250 2 stroke.

My 300ex has half the horsepower of a 250r :) In stock form the 250r is pretty mild, after some mods it opens up. When you get in the woods it's all rider, no BS I've out run raptors in the woods. I'm right in there with modded Z's. It's all rider in the woods!!!

Jimford
01-29-2004, 12:43 PM
I totally agree!:D

300exshawn
01-30-2004, 02:31 PM
i feel that my 300 does better in the trails then my friends 400. cornerin it just feels better but when its straight the 400 is way better and it lands jumps smother too.

Jimford
01-31-2004, 05:34 AM
Well everyone says that the 300ex is one of, or the best trail quads ever. I never rode one but I have ridden warriors and mohaves. The warrior was pretty cool but I didn't like the mohave. They were slower than I thought they would be.

BIGRED400
01-31-2004, 05:53 AM
It may be old but with a lil cash spent and done right with my 416 I looked back and saw this look:confused: from a Piped Banshee owner and a Z400 owner :rolleyes:

RIDER11X
01-31-2004, 06:35 AM
People need to give the 400ex credit where credit is due. The 400ex is a 4 wheeled version of the XR400, and is an awesome woods machine. It is designed to be a reasonably powerful, but extra reliable long life motor, that requires little maintenance. The 450r is designed to be more powerful, but more high strung requiring more maintenance to keep it going strong.

If something happened to my 400ex today, I would go right to the shop and buy a brand new 400ex again without a doubt. They hold their own with more powerful machines, because alot of people got more powerful machines that can't come close to riding them at their potential.

bigredfan
02-10-2004, 07:40 PM
hey bigred400 what have you been smoking.I love my 400ex too but in an all out drag race a piped banshee will run off and leave your arse if it is been jetted properly. A 400ex might beat one in a short distance but anything longer the banshee will run off and hide from you.:confused: :confused: :blah:

BIGRED400
02-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Are you stock ??? The only thing I've been smoking is :rolleyes: a Piped Banshee, Z400, Raptor............300-500 ft. drags..........more than that the Raptor will walk me down.stock gearing.modded motor...if you would 've told me this when I was stock I would'nt believe it either.....ask around ............checkout what Sparks will do at Pismo..........:D

bigredfan
02-10-2004, 08:21 PM
i figured it out you are right. You are not smoking you are just blinded by the sand in your eyes. Check out Glamis. I don't see a bunch of banshees getting beat by a whole lot of anything. Just to prove a point ask your self why they run 450 fourstrokes against 250 2-strokes in motorx. Just a thought. If you have a built 400ex you are right it might out drag a stock banshee,but if the banshee has been done right there is noway a 400will beat the 350 2-stroke. There are lots of people where we ride that say they have a highly modified banshee and my friends with a properly set up with carbs timed and jetted with toomeys blows there arse away, and that includes my 400ex that isn't stock. If we get in the woods it is different story. :confused: :confused: :confused: :blah:

86atc250r
02-10-2004, 08:27 PM
I've got a room full of trophies that my slow, outdated, aircooled 400EX has taken from other machines.

Including one from the Maxxis 12hrs B class :D

What so many people don't look at is the overall package. The 400EX is an excellent quad as an overall package.

However, the time has come for it to be retired in favor of a new 450R....

RIDER11X
02-10-2004, 11:07 PM
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/racer98/yfz/yfz+2.jpg

I beat this 3 out of 4 times with the 4th being argueable on who actually won, on a snowy/ icy gravel lane about 100 yards long, with my CT piped 400ex! Granted, I weigh 65 lb. more than him to get more traction, but still!:eek2: :macho

QuadJunkies
02-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by BIGRED400
It may be old but with a lil cash spent and done right with my 416 I looked back and saw this look:confused: from a Piped Banshee owner and a Z400 owner :rolleyes: AGREED!!! I look forward to kickin Male and Female butt this year on mine!!!!:eek: :p :D

BIGRED400
02-11-2004, 04:23 AM
When I said checkout Sparks, it is amazing he get's them to run that good.........No, I agree a Hardcore Banshee rarely get's beat but a mildly built Banshee which is what my neighbor has will read my Honda rear sticker ,Z400's slightly built also, I'm not talking against the real bad boy's , I'm low budget, but have learned with fine tuning there is hidden horse's............this is for QUADJUNKIES........I even thought about putting sticker's on it , I heard it adds 10 HP:rolleyes: ;) :D

QuadJunkies
02-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by BIGRED400
...........this is for QUADJUNKIES........I even thought about putting sticker's on it , I heard it adds 10 HP:rolleyes: ;) :D LMAO!!!!!!:p IT WORKED FOR MINE!!!:D ;)

bradley300
02-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by marksuttonjr
but I have not yet seen an under 300 cc 4 stroke that has 1/2 as much power as an R.

your right, ive seen two, LT250r's and a thing kawasaki liked to call TECATE, sorry man, r's are nice, and handle awesome, but they arent and never were the fastest

bigredfan
02-11-2004, 07:17 PM
bradly300 they are the fastest with bill ballance in the saddle.

bigredfan
02-11-2004, 07:21 PM
bigred400 yea i guess you maybe right with some banshees.my friends just seem to smoke everybody.

bradley300
02-13-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by bigredfan
bradly300 they are the fastest with bill ballance in the saddle.

well, you get around the track the fastset on a trx-r, but the motor was the slowest of the 80's race quads

RIDER11X
02-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
well, you get around the track the fastset on a trx-r, but the motor was the slowest of the 80's race quads

Motor means very little without the handling to back it. Look at the Yamaha Warroir 350's compared to the 300ex's...............300's eat them alive in MX or XC. Handling is where it is at.:cool: The Honda 250r was no different.

bradley300
02-13-2004, 09:58 AM
thats why i think its funny when someone says they dont like something b/c its so slow

ryanh250ex
02-15-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
your right, ive seen two, LT250r's and a thing kawasaki liked to call TECATE, sorry man, r's are nice, and handle awesome, but they arent and never were the fastest

uhhh........what?

lt250r= 2 stroke, tecate = 2 stroke

he said under 300cc 4 stroke.

bradley300
02-15-2004, 09:28 AM
oops! geuss i wasnt paying much attention when i red that:o

but i'm still right-yz-f250 and crf-250r both have right around 30 horse wich is right in line w/ a 250r

LTandRaptorider
02-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Motor means very little without the handling to back it. Look at the Yamaha Warroir 350's compared to the 300ex's...............300's eat them alive in MX or XC. Handling is where it is at.:cool: The Honda 250r was no different.

Look at my Lt, compared to anything Crazy Honda gets! :devil:

Banshee... eat it for lunch...

300ex... stomped it...

YFZ... To be determined... but since you stomped him on your 400, and I've stomped your 400... But I don't have a really cool lunch bag though... :p

bigredfan
02-18-2004, 04:57 PM
hey lt and raptorride if that lt is so fast why did you buy that slowarse raptor.Just wondering.Oh thats right they were so good and fast that we still see them on the tracks racing 15 years after they stop producing them.:devil: :blah: :confused: :confused: :confused:

LTandRaptorider
02-18-2004, 07:34 PM
hey lt and raptorride if that lt is so fast why did you buy that slowarse raptor.Just wondering.Oh thats right they were so good and fast that we still see them on the tracks racing 15 years after they stop producing them.:devil: :blah: :confused: :confused: :confused:

slowarse raptor? :confused: yeah, they're slow... :rolleyes: I assume, though I hesitate to do so for the obvious reasons... you're talking about the LT in the second part of your statement. Yes, they were, and are, fast. And like the honda 250R, they can still be seen on the racetrack. It's all in what we like, bigred. ;) If you were offended or felt the need to defend Crazy Honda, I believe rider11x will back me up... He and his 400 have also stomped crazy on whatever quad he brings. :blah:

BTW... though the Raptor isn't slow, the LT is my favorite. I just like playing on a big bore thumper, and had the money to buy 2 quads. :macho

bigredfan
02-18-2004, 08:06 PM
hey lt no hard feelings i was just trying to get your goat.i have rode an lt, and it was a blast just like all atvs.As far as the raptor goes you always have togo with the banshee when your riding blue.Catch you later.

LTandRaptorider
02-18-2004, 08:38 PM
hey lt no hard feelings i was just trying to get your goat.i have rode an lt, and it was a blast just like all atvs.As far as the raptor goes you always have togo with the banshee when your riding blue.Catch you later.

Naw... all good! ;) I'm just still an old 2-stroke fan! :D The Raptor is fun... but I have to agree it doesn't handle too good. When the LT is running... :o the Raptor sits! :p LRD did a great job on the LT cylinder, I swear my arms are 2 inches longer now! Even rider11x at... ahem... about 270 pounds couldn't believe how fast it is!

Take er easy.

RIDER11X
02-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Look at my Lt, compared to anything Crazy Honda gets! :devil:

Banshee... eat it for lunch...

300ex... stomped it...

YFZ... To be determined... but since you stomped him on your 400, and I've stomped your 400... But I don't have a really cool lunch bag though... :p

A word of wisdom for anyone racing Ltraptorrider...............Don't drag race him on a gravel road! He will scoot over in front of you at very first oppriunity and fan the clutch to pelt you with gravel until you have to leave off. No fair drags with this guy!:devil:

But ask him about that time that the bone stock 400ex made about 2 minutes on his piped raptor in the woods and passed it on the inside of a corner with in about 5 miles!:devil:

Just messin' with you after your "I've stomped your 400" comment. Figured I remind you of reality! :D :D :D

RIDER11X
02-18-2004, 10:45 PM
Naw... all good! ;) I'm just still an old 2-stroke fan! :D The Raptor is fun... but I have to agree it doesn't handle too good. When the LT is running... :o the Raptor sits! :p LRD did a great job on the LT cylinder, I swear my arms are 2 inches longer now! Even rider11x at... ahem... about 270 pounds couldn't believe how fast it is!

Take er easy.

When the LT is running... Yep! When are you gonna learn and buy a Honda?:devil: :devil: J/p:cool:

Crazy Honda
02-19-2004, 12:20 AM
If you were offended or felt the need to defend Crazy Honda, I believe rider11x will back me up... He and his 400 have also stomped crazy on whatever quad he brings. :blah:

:eek: if you ever get the lt back together bring it old man I got somthing for you :eek: :blah: :devil: lrd hu better send it back and 11x will see alot of that pipe of mine sunday good luck on the rebuild and better send it out for a 310 or so:blah: :devil:

LTandRaptorider
02-19-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
A word of wisdom for anyone racing Ltraptorrider...............Don't drag race him on a gravel road! He will scoot over in front of you at very first oppriunity and fan the clutch to pelt you with gravel until you have to leave off. No fair drags with this guy!:devil:

But ask him about that time that the bone stock 400ex made about 2 minutes on his piped raptor in the woods and passed it on the inside of a corner with in about 5 miles!:devil:

Just messin' with you after your "I've stomped your 400" comment. Figured I remind you of reality! :D :D :D

Huh... I dont' remember that... :confused: I readily admit I SUCK on the Raptor... :o Getting the wheel extenders helped some, but that's why I stuck with the LT in my story of beating everyone... :rolleyes: I only remember the victories! And for the warning about me slingin gravel... get in FRONT of me, and that's no longer a problem for ya!! :devil: I'm a believer in... whatever it takes! :D Besides, I sort of remember you sticking a rock in my forehead... I even left it there until we stopped, for you to gloat over, what are friends for?

LTandRaptorider
02-19-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Honda
:eek: if you ever get the lt back together bring it old man I got somthing for you :eek: :blah: :devil: lrd hu better send it back and 11x will see alot of that pipe of mine sunday good luck on the rebuild and better send it out for a 310 or so:blah: :devil:

You know, you're giving me incentive to fix the LT before I move! :devil: Don't cry when the rocks I'm slingin break a headlight on your YFZ... :devil:

BTW... you racing this Sunday? Give you a chance to whoop up on Cody... and return the water bottle! ;)

Crazy Honda
02-19-2004, 10:12 AM
You know, you're giving me incentive to fix the LT before I move! :devil: Don't cry when the rocks I'm slingin break a headlight on your YFZ... :devil:

BTW... you racing this Sunday? Give you a chance to whoop up on Cody... and return the water bottle! ;)

looking for a chance to run that lt so get it together unless you got your tools packed.I understand if your skerd there is a good chance the lt may be behind a yfz.:eek2: dont know if you could handel that :blah: :D. As for sunday looks like a day at the local rideing spot with 11x got to teach him how to ride in the woods :p :D :devil: :devil:

RIDER11X
02-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Crazy Honda
looking for a chance to run that lt so get it together unless you got your tools packed.I understand if your skerd there is a good chance the lt may be behind a yfz.:eek2: dont know if you could handel that :blah: :D. As for sunday looks like a day at the local rideing spot with 11x got to teach him how to ride in the woods :p :D :devil: :devil:
You better pack a lunch if your gonna play with me in the woods. Don't worry, I always wait up for your type to see if you need to stop and wipe your nose or dab away some tears. I'm not a total hethan.:devil: J/p :D :cool:

WhiteBros400ex
02-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Yea 400exs might be outdated in mx but they can still tear up in the woods because in the woods is more ridder. But i am getting into MX so i might trade my 400 in for one but just with a 416 kit it hauls some a** and i still love it.

400exdad
02-29-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by cleanshave300ex
....When you get in the woods it's all rider, no BS I've out run raptors in the woods......It's all rider in the woods!!!

My son (MadMatt300ex) has outrun Raptors in the woods too on his old LT80! 95% Rider 5% Quad! :D

r-exrider0003
03-05-2004, 07:13 PM
yeah 400exs are dogged alot for all they have done to atvs all together.....my brother has a 01' 400 with a w/b pro-meg e-series and a k&n and he has won every ace he has raced....he beat a brand new V-force(700), a 2004 limited edition raptor(660) any z 400 or kfx, a ds 650 with mods, and about any thing else really......note how he beat quads with over 300ccs on him.....400exs are the best!!:D

jordan_400ex
02-24-2007, 11:20 PM
400 ex's are the best quad period.imo.a stock 400ex against stock banshee=banshee wins.even a 416 ex will not beat a banshee.a 440 ex with pipe filter ported will beat a puiped banshee.but if you port it and jet it and gear it right the ex wont stand a chance.and bradley 300.the honda 250 was betteer and faster than the lt.dirtwheels brought up an old issue test on them and the honda beat the zuzuki in almost every test.and it beat it in a drag.sorry to bring up the old post.

Jimford
02-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Anyone that bashes a 400ex is crazy! I raced a 250r with a big bore piston kit in it. It was faster than me but not by much. It wasnt the kind of race that was up to the rider either. It was on a gravel road. We hit this turn sideways and kept goin full throttle. My ex has never had a problem, its a 99' with a white bro's pipe. I've ridden with raptors and yfz's. I keep up just fine!!! Both them are in the shop when I'm out riding!!!

Ruby Soho
02-25-2007, 01:18 PM
when you compare a 400ex to a banshee, you know the banshee will take a 400ex in a drag, or something of that nature, but the 400ex is a better quad all around because it takes alot less to get a 400ex to be an MX quad, XC, any type of riding than to get a banshee to do that stuff, a 400ex is an all around quad. its not the ultimate MX racing quad, its not the fastest dragster, and its not the best freestyle quad, its alittle of all of that

400EXTRA
02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
400EX RULES!

NC_700R
03-06-2007, 05:26 PM
a 400ex is a great quad for the woods. i rode with five of them last sunday and caught hell trying to keep up. they knew the trials alot better than me so that had alot to do with it. when we got out on the road, it was a different story. The only thing running with my 700 are built 450's. :D

HPIcamaross
03-21-2007, 06:38 PM
400ex's do rock and they are very good machines...but i do agree i wish they were liquid cooled...she gets perrty hot on the dry summer days