PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket set-up or Carb?

Shutang
01-24-2004, 06:32 PM
I am running a 15T/36T Sidewinder Ti-moly set up on my 440. This set up has been flawless on mid to top end, but falls short out of the hole. I have not upgraded to the Fcr carb yet $460 is a bit steep for 2HP......everything in my motor done by duncan but fell short on cash and could not get the FCR. Duncan did a Midrange port job on the motor, oversize valves 479 grind web cam and hardened rockers. The hole shot is not a bog...rather a loss of power then it pulls hard. Wondering if it is my sprocket set-up or if it is because I dont have the larger carb?

Mongo
01-24-2004, 08:31 PM
I'd drop a tooth on my primary spocket see how that does first. A good rule of thumb is 1 to 3 ratio 15 front 45 rear..

cals400ex
01-25-2004, 01:32 PM
i dont know how much top end you want to loose but you could always drop a tooth on the front sprocket. going to a 14 tooth front with the 36 rear will make the bike have a little less top end than stock and a little more low end.

for every one tooth you change on the front it is equivalent to changing 2.5 teeth on the rear.

i am honestly wondering if your cam just doesn't make power until the higher rpm's.

Shutang
01-26-2004, 07:26 PM
I tried to go the other way 16/35 before I went with the 15/36 but it was even worse....I figured with the sidewinder set up I'd go between. Stock set up revs up too quickly with the 440, perfect for draggin, or at the track but horrible at the dunes or trails (1st,2nd). I will try that 14/36 set up...a fairly low cost trial and answer. Sidewinder Ti-moly sprocket (rear $103) (front $58) way too pricey to trial...so Ill have to go sunstar.