PDA

View Full Version : banshee electrical problem

speedy400
01-24-2004, 03:13 PM
we were having problems with my friend's shee last night with the carbs overflowing, but today at the ice drags we got it fixed. so here's the problem: it started up fine and ran great except for the major spilling problem from the carb, so we cleaned out the bowl and put it back together which fixed the carb problem. kicked it over....no spark whatsoever, we looked all over and couldn't find anything that looked out of place. does anyone know what could be wrong? there is absolutely no current going through the spark plugs, so it's not just the plugs being bad.

need help as soon as possible...wasted all day trying to fix it on the lake and my friend missed his big chance to drag b/c of a stupid electrical problem.-darren

lil400exman
01-24-2004, 04:35 PM
check your grounds and or replace your plug wires;)

speedy400
01-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
check your grounds and or replace your plug wires;)

we've checked the grounds, they seem okay. and i don't think both the plug wires would go out at once...so it's not that.

anyone else?

gimpbzkt400ex
01-24-2004, 05:03 PM
have you checked the Magneta or whatever it's called... the wife thinks she knows it all... lol..

lil400exman
01-24-2004, 05:08 PM
also check ur coil and CDI box too! see if the stator has water in it. If it does then thats ur problem!:D

TheWolf
01-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Check the kill switch if it has one.

speedy400
01-24-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by TheWolf
Check the kill switch if it has one.

we checked the killswitch, but thinking that maybe it was causing a problem we took it off. we also checked the cdi for grounding and cleaned that up and also the parking brake cable thinger...made sure it was clean and engaging...so yea, still stumped:huh

save me Jebus!!

cgmxer115
01-24-2004, 08:35 PM
might be your TORS system.... its a little black box (about a square inch) i think its just below the front left side of the fuel tank mounted to the frame..... just unplug it and toss in the trash.

cgmxer115
01-24-2004, 08:36 PM
.....should have black and yellow wires i think

foleyit
01-24-2004, 09:09 PM
Had the same problem. When through the entire electrical system on it. It was the fricken kill switch!

Also happened on another friends while on a riding trip. It was the ignition key assembly. So we crossed the wires and it was fine after that..

speedy400
01-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by foleyit
Had the same problem. When through the entire electrical system on it. It was the fricken kill switch!

Also happened on another friends while on a riding trip. It was the ignition key assembly. So we crossed the wires and it was fine after that.. maybe we'll try that out tomorrow, what color are the wires that we should cross?thanks-darren

speedy400
01-25-2004, 11:24 AM
bump

cdrookie
01-25-2004, 01:34 PM
banshee's are notorious for having bad stators. they can be tested if you have a multimeter and the factory service manual. the TORS junk on top of the carbs needs to go into the trash. all it does is work loose and strip the threads on top of the carbs. the caps need to be tight. a few years ago my buddy rolled his down a hill. it wouldn't start again. so we finally noticed the caps on the carbs were loose, tightened them up and it ran. but after that it was never the same again. he sold it to me and we completely went through the wiring system numerious times, bypassed the key switch, hotwired a toggle kill switch, tried a different cdi box. sometimes it would start right up, sometimes it wouldn't. if you shut it off when riding it probably wouldn't start by kicking it but it usually did if you pop started it. the spark was real sporadic. never did figure out the problem, got sick of it and sold it.

speedy400
01-25-2004, 08:17 PM
!BUMP!

We found that there is power coming from the engine but it ends at the wires over the head. We cut the TORS wires and tied them together so that the TORS wouldn't be effecting it, but still no spark. I'm starting to think maybe it's time for a new coil.

psd1
01-26-2004, 05:58 AM
Try asking over at Bansheehq or bluetraxx!

Toadz400
01-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by psd1
Try asking over at Bansheehq or bluetraxx!

I already put up a post on BansheeHQ, but over there they don't respond very quickly....

Besides EXRiders are a lot easier to deal with, but we already figured out the problem - I hope - we figure it's the coils, so I'm searching through eBay for a coil.

psd1
01-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Do you have a donor coil you could use just to check???

Toadz400
01-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by psd1
Do you have a donor coil you could use just to check???

I don't have a donor coil so I'm bidding on a cheap one via eBay for $20 right now...