PDA

View Full Version : This is getting OLD

01_300ex
02-24-2002, 10:51 AM
ok, ive had this problem with my engine for about 2 months now.
And the problem is that since i put a new head gasket and base gasket, my 300ex will not start. Im sure my timing is correct, i have spark at the spark plug, im getting air and fuel in it, the key is turned on. What can it be, please help i want to ride.

Leo
02-24-2002, 11:02 AM
for a motor to run you need;

fuel/air mix
compression
spark

spark is easy to verify..

try shooting a little starting fluid in and see if it runs for a second, if it does look for a fuel problem..

if it won't run on starting fluid, time to do a compression test..

Leo

01_300ex
02-24-2002, 11:15 AM
well i just put an 11:1 high comp. piston in it, and it ran fine until i changed my gaskets because they were leaking. And now it wont run, but i will try what you said to do. Also i dont know if this will help but i tryed to roll start it and it, and when i did it would roll like it wasnt kicking over or something.

400exJOE
02-24-2002, 02:51 PM
did you torque down all the bolts to proper specs? Sound like a compression problem to me.

01_300ex
02-24-2002, 03:11 PM
I have one or two bolts that have broken off in the top of the engine where you tighten the cylinder cover down. Would that make my 300 lose comp.

optikid123
02-24-2002, 03:34 PM
well theres your problem u need new bolts or else you will never have a seal for the head which is making you loose compression if the head is not toatally tightened down, you loose compression = no starting

01_300ex
02-24-2002, 04:15 PM
ok, i felt air coming out of one of the places where the bolt was broken off. Thanks.

optikid123
02-24-2002, 04:32 PM
glad to be of some help to ya im not to familiar with 300s so may just be able to get new bolts or a new top end but some times they come out of the case well u may need to get it professionally fixed

01_300ex
02-24-2002, 06:10 PM
I got one of the bolts that was broken off and i replaced it with a new one. But the other one is still not replaced, but i tried to roll start it and it did the same thing as before. When i was trying to roll start it, I put my hand over the exhaust and it was sucking in air then blowing out air, is that normal.
Is there another place that i should check for leaks or something else that is making it not start.

optikid123
02-24-2002, 06:27 PM
yea u gotta have em all on there or it will still leak and make sure that the others are torked to the specs

01_300ex
02-24-2002, 07:00 PM
ok, but the bolt is broken off down in the engine. Do I drill it out or what.

01_300ex
02-25-2002, 03:54 PM
Today I drilled the bolt out and then made bigger threads with this thing. After i do this, do you think it will start or is there something else i should look for also.

JabberJaw
02-25-2002, 07:25 PM
After you put it back together, make sure you are not missing any tools before you try to start it.

optikid123
02-25-2002, 07:38 PM
yea make sure they r all tighted to the right specs and that there is a total seal so that no air can escape then just check fuel and everythin but im pretty sure that was your problem

01_300ex
03-04-2002, 03:54 PM
i got all the bolts out and i tried to roll start it but it did the same thing as before. I will make sure i got all the bolts tight. What else could be my problem that I could look for.

01_300ex
03-04-2002, 03:59 PM
oh, I forgot to say what was wrong with it before. When I try to roll start it, it will just keep rolling like it is not getting any compression to turn it over to start. Also when I try to start it at the key it makes a funny noise, like INSTEAD of "wa wa wa wa" it will go "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa". If you get what im trying to say then please help me.

03-04-2002, 06:16 PM
You might want to take you quad into a shop and have someone look at it. Sound like you have a big compression problem. My advise is to take it to some one before you KILL YOU ENGINE!!!!

01_300ex
03-04-2002, 07:29 PM
Are you sure that this is whats wrong with it. Because im pretty good with taking my motor apart and if i know what is wrong with it then I could maybe fix it myself.

big-guy
03-04-2002, 07:55 PM
from what you describe, it sounds like you have no compression, the starter has no trouble spinning the motor because there is no resistance.

make sure the head is on tight, and the valves are closing all the way. Is the gasket on correctly? Sounds like it should be torn apart again...

JOEX
03-04-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by 01_300ex
Are you sure that this is whats wrong with it. Because im pretty good with taking my motor apart and if i know what is wrong with it then I could maybe fix it myself.
:huh :huh

No flame intended.....
It doesn't sound like you know what you are doing. Taking apart a motor is easy. Putting it back together is a bit more difficult. Trying to run a motor with broken head bolts? I'm no master mechanic, but I don't think that would ever work.

I suggest getting a repair manual, (if you don't already have one) and working with someone who has experience and success working on motors to gain some knowledge.

You also may want to ask someone about your head being warped (the motor's, not your own:p ). I'm wondering about that because you had some bolts tightened down while some were broken. It may not be an issue but then again it might.

Good Luck,

Joe

beerock
03-04-2002, 09:26 PM
it sounds like you may have burned your clutch out. if the oil smells real funky thats what happened

mikeman828
03-05-2002, 05:39 AM
Are you sure you didn't screw up your valves??
Bend one maybe??

Definitely do a compression check...

01_300ex
03-05-2002, 04:12 PM
Well the thing about it is that I put my high comp. piston in about a month ago, and it ran fine after that. Until i noticed my head gasket leaking, so i decided to put a new gasket in and then after i got it all back together I came to my problem that i have now. So, I know pretty much what im doing. But for some reason it is messed up.

ride300exred
03-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Sounds to me like you bent your valves. Check them out, did it try to start after you put it back together with the new head gasket? If it did, and then started acting up like it is, then your timing was probably off a little bit, and you bent your valves, there for there is no compression. If you take it apart look for marks on the top of the piston and make sure there is no damage to that.. also You might need a new head gasket, because they are made to be used one time, and one time only. after they are crushed down and you take the head off then they are not likely to make a good seal again.