PDA

View Full Version : ATV Insurance

MIA450R
01-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Ok, so hearing about this kid that got to ride his 450R for 2 hours only to have it stolen from him the next day is freaking me out.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm/catid/8/threadid/379225.cfm

I had insurance coverage (theft/collision/etc) for my 416, but about a year ago, the company decided to stop covering ATVs, Skimobiles and RVs.

So...does anyone know of some reputable Insurance companies, and in my case, ones that will cover ATVs in Mass? For example, PROGRESSIVE does not insure ATVs or motorcycles in my state.

Thanks.

900rracer
01-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Try State Farm Insurance. You may have to take your cars and trucks with them but they will insure anything. I dropped Erie because they would not insure me on a streetbike and State Farm picked me up. I have my 2 trucks, homeowners, my boat, my life insurance, my CBR900RR streetbike, my 89 250R and soon to have my 2004 450R insured with them. My rates are great especially with the streetbike--some insurance companies wanted up to $3000 a year for sportbike coverage, I pay $285 and I am 25 years old with a clean driving record.

Kevin

stryker
01-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 900rracer
Try State Farm Insurance. You may have to take your cars and trucks with them but they will insure anything. I dropped Erie because they would not insure me on a streetbike and State Farm picked me up. I have my 2 trucks, homeowners, my boat, my life insurance, my CBR900RR streetbike, my 89 250R and soon to have my 2004 450R insured with them. My rates are great especially with the streetbike--some insurance companies wanted up to $3000 a year for sportbike coverage, I pay $285 and I am 25 years old with a clean driving record.

Kevin

Go to State Farm!! That's where I insured my Jet SKi and 400EX at! It might be tough to do if you don't have a clean record though. :cool:

2004TRX450R
01-24-2004, 02:29 PM
When I bought mine I bought theft insurance on it from Powerguard. It was purchased with the bike and they said it could only be purchased at the time of purchase of the bike. It was $350 and covered it for 5 years up to $5000.00 or retail value. Can't hardly beat that price!

Baley69
01-24-2004, 05:23 PM
3 dollars a month for my new quad at State Farm.

2004TRX450R
01-24-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Baley69
3 dollars a month for my new quad at State Farm.

Really I'll have to be looking into that!

granticimo
01-24-2004, 11:53 PM
My insurance isn't that much either. They base it off of what the quad is really worth. If i tell them it is worth $12k they will charge me around $30 for every thousand that it is worth. They said it is full coverage, if i wreck it i have to pay a $250 deductable and I have liability and all of that other great crap. It is really worth the money with all of the idiots that like to steal your stuff.

2004TRX450R
01-25-2004, 12:17 AM
I looked into insurance on my ATC awhile back and I told them I could buy one for the price of the insurance in like 2 to 3 years. It was crazy and all I wanted was theft insurance but they would only do it if I had liability first. I think anyone claimeing colision on a bike after they wreck it is being stupid and is the reason insurance is so high. Obviously you are going to wreck them. That is something that should be a given when you buy it if you plan on rideing it hard at all.

Baley69
01-25-2004, 01:21 AM
3 a month was for theft only btw. Shouldnt really matter if you have auto threw them or not, my agent told me it didnt change anything with or without my auto or homeowners.

300exjumper
01-25-2004, 01:58 PM
all I got to say is that you better get insurance, because my 400ex got stolen about a month ago and I didn't have it. Now im stuck paying $150 a month. It sucks

416mx
01-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Most companies won't insure your quad if you tell them you race it. Don't tell them.
State Farm wouldn't insure mine when they found out i race it. I have progressive but the max i could get on Accesories is 5k, won't even touch what i have in it. but better than nothn.:grr:

MIA450R
01-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Good stuff guys....many thanks!

I will be calling State Farm tomorrow AM.

MIA450R
01-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Sigh...

State Farm, just like Progressive, does not offer insurance services in Massachusetts.

Anyone know of any insurance companies that do?

MIA450R
01-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Update for anyone else in Mass:

Absolutely no-one offers insurance coverage for ATVs in Mass. In fact, my Insurance agent said that only 2 months ago were they able to locate an Insurance company that would offer insurance for Sleds in this stupid back*****word state...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

MNTNMAN
01-27-2004, 09:23 AM
I have Country Companies. I beleive I pay about $7 a month for the 400.

300exOH
01-27-2004, 09:31 AM
I'd try anywhere but State Farm. They are working on getting rid of their personal policies(home,auto and atv).

Just a heads up. My wife works for an insurance company.

Shop around. They are out there. I found Progressive to have the better prices so far.

2004TRX450R
01-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I'd try anywhere but State Farm. They are working on getting rid of their personal policies(home,auto and atv).

Shop around. They are out there. I found Progressive to have the better prices so far.

I have had nothing but problems from Progressive.

MIA450R
01-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Guys-
I'm tellin ya...there are NO insurance companies that will cover my ATV, living / garaging it in Mass.

Check any website (like Progressive)...select the state of MA, and "sorry...."

:confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused:

stryker
01-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH

That's true they are trying to get out of some insurance policy's. But if you already have a policy they won't cancel it. They just won't offer it to any new policy holders. That's the way it worked for me anyway!!:cool:

300exOH
01-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by stryker
That's true they are trying to get out of some insurance policy's. But if you already have a policy they won't cancel it. They just won't offer it to any new policy holders. That's the way it worked for me anyway!!:cool:

That's true........for now.:eek2:

exhotdog
01-28-2004, 05:58 AM
[/QUOTE]
So...does anyone know of some reputable Insurance companies, and in my case, ones that will cover ATVs in Mass? For example, PROGRESSIVE does not insure ATVs or motorcycles in my state.

Thanks. [/B][/QUOTE]

Here are a couple of links you can try. If these don't help, I would suggest talking to an independent agent in your area. He or she will be able to place your business with a reputable carrier in your state.

http://www.find-car-insurance.com/auto/ma/24

http://www.massquotes.com/

http://www.powersports-insurance.com/

Hope this helps. :)