PDA

View Full Version : *** Initial 450r Ride Reviews ***

MIA450R
01-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Ok you lucky dawgs (like 2004TRX450R)...lets hear about it...

- Stock or HRC?
- Other mods already?
- Terrain you've ridden in...
- Still breaking in?
- Power delivery/feel at low/mid/high...
- If broken in, have u raced anything other than your shadow?
- Likes / dislikes...
- DETAILS MAN!!!

Thx guys

quadrcr161
01-24-2004, 10:40 AM
i think we will get the report tonight, they are probally going to be enjoying it till they run out of daylight or gas, which ever comes first.

Jason Lowery
01-24-2004, 11:41 AM
I want the number to their dealer because my dealer in south Georgia says mine wont be in till March and I am second on the list.

dlboyes
01-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Picked it up Thursday night. I tried to post some pics but couldn't figure out how. The already put the HRC kit in so I wouldn't have to deal with it later.

I went to Carnegie SVRA which is near Tracy, CA. It is very rocky and torn up right now. Lots of whoops, holes, etc... Not the optimum place to open it up. I really only went about 3/4 thorttle anyway. The books says for break in avoid full throttle starts, rapid acceleration and constant rpm for the first day or 15 hours of operation and the initial service is after 20 hours. I know there was concern about valve adjustments every 10 hours or something ridiculous but it says every 200 hours.

On to the ride. I knew what I was buying but that e-button on the EX will be missed a little. I'm sure it will be ok when it loosens up and I have the procedure down...NO GAS UNTIL IT FIRES! This thing makes power from the bottom up. It is probably the fastest and smoothest powerband I have ridden on a quad (250r, Raptor, EX, z400, YFZ). I still haven't topped it out yet so I can't compare that to the YFZ but it definitely has better low end.

As I said the terrain was pretty rough and the ride was smooth but stiff. I hadn't messed with the shocks yet. From the looks of the front wiper, I still had over an inch to go and I came down pretty hard while climbing a hill that crosses a road. There was a ditch on the opposite side of the road that hadn't been there before so I hit pretty hard. I think less pre-load(they are set about half the threads) and less compression... I don't know. I'm not used to having these choices. Steering was great and on anything other that tacky clay, I could just dial in the slide with the throttle.

The bars felt a little different. They seem awful tall. On the EX I had Renthal EX bend and they were comfortable. On this, I feel like I am pulling on the bars alot and noticed arm pump where I hadn't before. Thinking ProTapers but can't decide on mount without buying a new stem. Any thoughts on bars/mounts?

I'm going again on Sunday to Carnegie or Prarie City so I will update. You guys that are waiting will not be disappointed.

dlboyes
01-24-2004, 01:26 PM
I forgot to add... I easily operated the clutch and front brake with my index fingers. The clutch pull seemed light and the front brakes stop you NOW. You'd think I work for Honda or something

2004TRX450R
01-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by dlboyes
I forgot to add... I easily operated the clutch and front brake with my index fingers. The clutch pull seemed light and the front brakes stop you NOW. You'd think I work for Honda or something

I noticed VERY responsive brakes as well. Dirtwheels wasn't kidding when they said it has good brakes.

I almost bought some CR hi bend pro tapers yesterday but then I remembered about the key and oil light. I didn't want to just disconnect the light and I though I could just disconnect the key because usually they are just a kill switch. But I looked at the wire diagram for it and it does have a power wire running through it so you can't just get rid of it. So once I figure out how to mount all that stuff I'll probably get the protapers in black. I'd just cut the holes where the cover clamps onto the bars bigger but I want to be able to reuse them if I want to. I'd imagine someone will come out with a billit clamp for it really soon so I guess I'll wait for that.

Z-135
01-24-2004, 04:04 PM
2004TRX 450R Thanks for the ride report! Go with a CR low bend bar. You will not be able to use your cross bar pad but your key switch sould fit under the bar.

RobRacing
01-24-2004, 04:18 PM
You don't need the key switch. It has power running to it so that when you turn the key it completes the circuit. You could easily toss the key switch and the handlebar switch and replace it all with a teather. Its not all to hard.

dlboyes
01-24-2004, 09:50 PM
2004TRX450R,

Regarding billet big bar mounts, looking at the TAG and Trail Tech Banshee mounts, it has a spot for the key and what looks like an idiot light. I just don't know if the way it mounts to the stem is the same and the holes are the same. I like the black TAG mount appearance wise, just don't know enough about it.

dlboyes
01-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Z-135,

Why the CR-Lo bend? I was thinking HI or Double Hi. I already feel like I'm pulling on the bars too much. Shorter bars would seem like it would be worse, like I would be reaching even more.

2004TRX450R
01-24-2004, 11:36 PM
Well I FINALLY got to ride it today!! It is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

The power is smooth and just when you think it is about done reving it just keeps going and makes more power. It does come up off the bottom pretty good too. I think when I was rideing it in the driveway and though that the bottom end was lacking I was just lugging it because once I got a chance to ride it it comes right up. It wheelies pretty easy too. Once you get in about 3rd or 4th gear you kinda have to pull on the bars a bit but the thing hauls ***! I love it. There wasn't much for jumps but the little ones that I was able to hit today the suspension feels really good and the thing slides around the corners REALLY nice. It has very predictable handleing charicteristics. I LOVE IT!!!!

As for the bars the stock heigth seems pretty good. The reason I was going to get the CR high bend is because it is still shorter than the stock bars and I figured with the universal mounts that it would put it up almost at stock heighth. I was talking to a guy today and I think a protaper or similar bar clamp for a 400EX should work and the oil light would just go where the neutral light would normally be. He said he can get me a sweet hook up on the clamps so I might end up getting one from him. Now I just can't wait to go ride tomorrow! :D:D:D

Z-135
01-25-2004, 11:27 AM
dlboyes I have alwayes use the low bend bars. I feel that it keeps your weigh forward and keeps the front end down. The stock bars seem to high to me.

01-25-2004, 12:24 PM
2004TRX450R Why are you home so early? You should be still be out riding.

honda350r
01-25-2004, 01:23 PM
I rode a new 450r today and it is very nice ! The seat is soft and the handlebars are perfect! This machine handles so much nicer than that rock hard YFZ thing!! The YFZ has a much better punch than the bone stock TRX. I have the HRC kit on order and will have early this week,I also have a sparks pipe on order and should show up in the comming weeks.. I think once I open the exhaust from this stock machine it will run closer to the YFZ!

Just in comfort this TRX smokes the YFZ ! I will take a little less power hit for the comfort of this nice new thought out Honda!!

The kick start is better than I thought it would be with only 3 full kicks to get it fired from a stone cold morning with no choke on ( I forgot about the choke opps) ! The TRX fires up with one easy kick after it is warmed up!

I am very happy with Honda and their fine machine!

I like the YFZ for the power hit but absolutly hate the rough ride it delivers!

I think alot of Yamaha owner will realize this once they ride a TRX ,then they will know what handling is suposed to be like!!

A +++ on the Honda !!

Price out the door with the HRC kit was 6718.00 NICE !!!

400exBro
01-25-2004, 03:15 PM
I was wondering, on your 450r you have is there a bolt that holds the plastic by the feul on off switch by the gas tank??

is was mentioned before that they might of updated that, the only one i have seen didn't have that bolt, so i was wondering if Baldwin did that just for Tim or if honda had improved the design??

thanks

Varmit57
01-25-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the reports guys but your making me cry!
I have aleast 2 weeks before I can pick mine up. Guess is doesn't really matter, we are expecting another snow storm and below zero temps for a while.
Probably wouldn't be able to ride anyway.

P.S. I kept my Roll pegs and LS steering stem from my 400EX, can anyone tell me if they will fit?

01-25-2004, 05:41 PM
im glad that some people got the trx450r finally. ITs gonna be soo awsome roosting, and embarrasing that POS. AHHA . All you honda guys thought the ALL MIGHT TRX was gonna crush the YFZ. Funny funny...looky here

1.It said the Yamaha is race ready off the showroom floor, the Honda is far from it

2.Honda-front end way to light for MX

3."As a pure racer, the Honda comes up short" they say. "it wheelies out of corners, and tips entering them. The center of gravity is on the high side."
"Also, at high speeds, the TRX feels unstable.While the engine power is strong and smooth, it doesn't have that mid-range punch that is so important."

4.For reliability and quality, the Honda has it and will build even more brand loyalty. It has outdone the 400EX by leaps and bounds and is a blast to ride. It is such a good trail machine, we feel the added weight of a battery and electric starter would make it even better.
To win a shootout of this caliber, the machine has to be competetive oriented with the track in mind. As it turns out, the Yamaha is better than that. In stock trim, the Yamaha can't be beat. Plus, in the dunes, it's a rocket, the fastest quad up the hill. It's fast in the desert, rips on the trails, soaks up the sand, smokes the competition, and even looks fast standing still.Thats why the Yamaha wins our high performance shootout.:p :D :blah:

haha isnt that a BIG slap in da face..yea yea...ride blue babbby!!

honda350r
01-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Wow! With all that negitive talk I wonder how Tim Farr competes with those so called superior Yamahas ??

Guy400
01-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by sammy
im glad that some people got the trx450r finally. ITs gonna be soo awsome roosting, and embarrasing that POS. AHHA . All you honda guys thought the ALL MIGHT TRX was gonna crush the YFZ. Funny funny...looky here

1.It said the Yamaha is race ready off the showroom floor, the Honda is far from it

2.Honda-front end way to light for MX

3."As a pure racer, the Honda comes up short" they say. "it wheelies out of corners, and tips entering them. The center of gravity is on the high side."
"Also, at high speeds, the TRX feels unstable.While the engine power is strong and smooth, it doesn't have that mid-range punch that is so important."

4.For reliability and quality, the Honda has it and will build even more brand loyalty. It has outdone the 400EX by leaps and bounds and is a blast to ride. It is such a good trail machine, we feel the added weight of a battery and electric starter would make it even better.
To win a shootout of this caliber, the machine has to be competetive oriented with the track in mind. As it turns out, the Yamaha is better than that. In stock trim, the Yamaha can't be beat. Plus, in the dunes, it's a rocket, the fastest quad up the hill. It's fast in the desert, rips on the trails, soaks up the sand, smokes the competition, and even looks fast standing still.Thats why the Yamaha wins our high performance shootout.:p :D :blah:

haha isnt that a BIG slap in da face..yea yea...ride blue babbby!! <from the announcer tower> "Bench-racers to your starting gates!!"

We've seen the DW article and if you're basing your purchasing decisions off what magazines print you're in for a world of hurt. Is the YFZ a better MX'er off the showroom floor? I think so. But, how many guys at the track do you see racing bone stock YFZ's and TRX's? Virtually none. Now we're in an entire different ballgame when both quads get aftermarket arms, axles, shocks and go-fast goodies.

If you wish to have an intelligent conversation than by all means, post here. If you just want to come here to post quotes from magazines and stir up trouble than your stay here will be short, I assure you.

jb500ex
01-25-2004, 05:55 PM
hey yammi loser, that magazine also said the raptor was a better race bike then the cannondale and 400ex, tell me how that worked out. yamaha is still little brother and always will be

jb500ex
01-25-2004, 06:12 PM
and sammy i believe farr has won 2 out of 3 races he entered with the trx 450r. i know you will probably disappear and won't respond because you are too busy fixing something on your yamaha.

honda350r
01-25-2004, 06:19 PM
LMAO !!!

r450rr
01-25-2004, 06:53 PM
yamahas are junk..

like someone said it will always be little brother to HONDA>> yea they did make a fast bike, but they always do. its the quality of what they make , that makes them such POS ...
:blah:

Guy400
01-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Let's not turn this into a Yamaha bashing thread either.

r450rr
01-25-2004, 07:55 PM
im just firing back

nifty450
01-25-2004, 08:49 PM
no dout in my mind, they are both great bike, i think we can all agree on that. personally i, and i think most others on here prefer the trx...maybe because this is a honda web page:eek2: typical yamaha riders coming in tryin to say that there stuff is better, so if it is, big deal. who cares? i buy what i buy because i like it. im a loyal honda fan who right now has a rancher 350 FM, and will soon have a 450r. dont even try to argue with this, HONDA WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST IN RELIABILITY. period, bottom line. i want a bike i can abouse, tear up and know it will start for me whenever i want. i think the yfz is a great bike, but i just dont trust yamaha, they always try to rush things. look at the raptor, not a well thought out bike. all it is, is a big motor!
so what im trying to say is...yamaha riders, get the yfz, and honda riders get the trx. and until then, why dont all u yamaha people quit coming in here and causeing trouble!:grr: :mad:

2004TRX450R
01-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
2004TRX450R Why are you home so early? You should be still be out riding.

I rode past dark. Got to ride more today though and I just keep likeing it more and more. The suspension is nice of the sharp bumps and works really well. The thing slides really nice and is very controllable. In the slick stuff if I got on it hard around corners it would want to get kinda squirlly if I didn't watch it but I think that is to be expected when it is so slick anyway. I love this bike. My cousin rode it a bit and said his banshee is gone and he's getting one!

2004TRX450R
01-25-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
I was wondering, on your 450r you have is there a bolt that holds the plastic by the feul on off switch by the gas tank??

Mine doesn't have the bolt next to the petcock.

2004TRX450R
01-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Well today my cousin and his friend rode mine and his friend was rideing a stock YFZ today and they both said they liked my 405R better. I think honda hit the target with this bike. I bet 75% or more will never see the track and it is a better bike for what the people that are buying it are going to use it for. Also as mentioned if you are going to race it you will probably be upgradeing everything anyway that you would also be doing to the YFZ so it isn't going to really matter. Once built up it will probably be just as good or better than the YFZ. Also the power is so smooth on it and it pulls hard. I think the "mid range punch" they are talking about on the YFZ is just a lack of low end power and it comes on harder so it feels like it hits hard when the TRX just pulls smooth all the way through but has as much or power all the way through the rpm range.

shee dawg
01-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
Well today my cousin and his friend rode mine and his friend was rideing a stock YFZ today and they both said they liked my 405R better. I think honda hit the target with this bike. I bet 75% or more will never see the track and it is a better bike for what the people that are buying it are going to use it for. Also as mentioned if you are going to race it you will probably be upgradeing everything anyway that you would also be doing to the YFZ so it isn't going to really matter. Once built up it will probably be just as good or better than the YFZ. Also the power is so smooth on it and it pulls hard. I think the "mid range punch" they are talking about on the YFZ is just a lack of low end power and it comes on harder so it feels like it hits hard when the TRX just pulls smooth all the way through but has as much or power all the way through the rpm range.

Your telling me your buddy came over with a bone stock YFZ and you didnt line them up to check the accual low, to mid, to topend is in comparison?:huh

2004TRX450R
01-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Sorry Ma'am we were to busy blasting up the trails. There wasn't realy anywhere wide enough to run them side by side.:rolleyes2

jarsong
01-26-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by shee dawg
Your telling me your buddy came over with a bone stock YFZ and you didnt line them up to check the accual low, to mid, to topend is in comparison?:huh

Dude, that's what I was thinking? :huh You have a YFZ in the same 10 foot radius of the TRX and your not lining them up??? Talk about self control! You could have been the talk of the entire USA for a day...
jarsong

biohazard1.2
01-26-2004, 03:04 AM

No race? "things that make you go, Hmm?"
You could at least tell us how your TRX smoked your "buddies" stock YFZ.

Your analysis of the mid-range on the YFZ is flawed. There is no lack of low end punch. If you ride one that is properly jetted (not the easiest trick), you will know that the low end thing is a "not properly tuned" issue.

But, I look forward to seeing the TRX in the flesh, it has been long enough.

Take care.

psd1
01-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Sorry Ma'am we were to busy blasting up the trails. There wasn't realy anywhere wide enough to run them side by side.:rolleyes2

O.K., then who's decision was it not to run them???? That might really tell the story! Did you guys swap and then compare?

jarsong
01-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by psd1
O.K., then who's decision was it not to run them???? That might really tell the story! Did you guys swap and then compare?

Were dying to know???? Sumthin is starting to smell a little fishy.... I created a nice drag strip on our property this weekend. Waiting for anyone I know to buy a 450R and run me. I don't even care if I win, we just need to put this to rest!!!
jarsong

merrill
01-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Sound to me like they raced and the 450r lost. oh well, he could have at least told us. I don't care either way, I have a yfz and I'm getting a 450r this week. I'll let you know the truth, even if it hurts.:confused:

Varmit57
01-26-2004, 05:43 PM
I've read a lot of post about what is better and here is my two cents worth!

First - on a MX track(where I ride) most of it is the rider not the quad!

Second - I'm a Honda fan, I've owned atleast one of almost everything (except maybe the GAS GAS) and Honda is my favorite.

Third - Everyone knows that Honda's are usually more reliable

Fourth - It's $500 cheaper, that give me more money for aftermarket stuff! (Actually $1200 cheaper, I got quoted $5999otd, My buddy paid $7200 for his yfz)

Fifth - I look good on red!:D

r450rr
01-26-2004, 05:55 PM
i like ur two cents,,, cause mine is about the exact same:D

Chevy454
01-26-2004, 06:27 PM
I've read enough of the YFZ vs. TRX *squable* to make me puke, but how about a comparison to the 400EX? I'm gonna get a quad, just a matter of what, and I'm unsure which way to go.

Currently I'm just a casual trail rider, but I did race XC when I had my 250R, so that's not *totally* out of the picture. Will the 450R be comparible, or better, than a 400EX in the woods? I've been down the race bike in the woods road before with an LT500, and would like to avoid doing that again. Would I be better served building up a 400EX? Someone (DW?) mentioned the "light" front end of the 450R, will this be a problem when climbing hills/trails? The 450R really intrigues me, as I sold my '88 250R which I purchased new and have regretted it ever since, and I'm *hoping* the 450R could fill that void in my soul.

Thanks for the help.

jarsong
01-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Chevy454
I've read enough of the YFZ vs. TRX *squable* to make me puke, but how about a comparison to the 400EX? I'm gonna get a quad, just a matter of what, and I'm unsure which way to go.

Currently I'm just a casual trail rider, but I did race XC when I had my 250R, so that's not *totally* out of the picture. Will the 450R be comparible, or better, than a 400EX in the woods? I've been down the race bike in the woods road before with an LT500, and would like to avoid doing that again. Would I be better served building up a 400EX? Someone (DW?) mentioned the "light" front end of the 450R, will this be a problem when climbing hills/trails? The 450R really intrigues me, as I sold my '88 250R which I purchased new and have regretted it ever since, and I'm *hoping* the 450R could fill that void in my soul.

Thanks for the help.

I'd have to bet the 450R would put a solid whooping on an 400ex. The two performance quads produced from Yamaha and Honda today are a new breed. Blistering fast with the manners of a 4 stroke. Great combination!!!
jarsong

Quad18star
01-26-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm a YFZ owner ... but I'm still thrilled that Honda has coem out with soemthing that will probably match the YFZ ( we''ll find out when they both line up) .I've heard way too much BS about how Yamaha is better than Honda , How Honda will smoke the YFZ ... How the Eton will smoke both quads hands down . LOL Like come on seriously ... I'm sure both quads will win their fair share of races . I really like my YFZ , even though the seat is hard as rock . But then again ... it was built as a motocross race machine and how many times do you sit while racing? I'm sure I would like the seat on the TRX450r way better than my YFZ .... but it's soemthing I'm gunna live with . Funny how you guys are all saying the Yamaha is a POS ... but ALL bikes have their flaws . Yes my YFZ has battery problems , but it's soemthing that can be fixed . I'm sure the TRX will have some sort of problem also ... it's soemthing that is expected when a machine is mass produced . Anythign that is mass produced has it's problems . Ask Dodge about they're weak trannys . I haven't had a single problem yet on my Dodge . Ask Chevy about their trucks burning up lights on the driver side ... It's a known fact . Mistakes are made during design ... it's a common error.

I personally can't wait till someone in my area has a TRX450r so I can line up against it . If I take him I'll shake his hand . If he takes me , I'll still shake his hand and tell him that he made a wise choice and bought a powerfull machine . Cuz if he outruns me , he's got a well made bike with tons of power cuz the YFZ hauls *** pretty good .

As said before ... the guys like Farr , and Ellis that are winning these races are professionals and they do this every day . They could probably beat anyone of us , while doing it on a stock 250ex or soemthing . I'm sure if you put Farr on a YFZ he'd still kill the competion , theres no doubt he's a fast rider and rider ability is more than machine ability . All these bikes are "one off pro bikes" Most of us don't have a clue what goes on behind the shop doors . I'm sure they are tricking these bikes out with mods we've never seen or ran before . They also have the best mechanics in the world wrenching on these bikes . So It's hard to say which brand is the best out there . Stock for Stock it will be interesting which will come out top ... but who really cares ... unless you're Tim Farr , or Cory Ellis does it really matter? Go out ... ride ... and have fun . Don't be brand biased . I got a buddy that thinks Yamaha is the best thing in the world ...I feel like slapping him cuz I know , that they have their flaws . And yes you're hearing this from a Yamaha owner ... I also own a Honda too . Had a suzuki at one time also . So as you can See I ain't brand biased . Well that's enough typing ... never wrote so much ( even in highschool).

Scottie Mac
01-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I'm a YFZ owner ... but I'm still thrilled that Honda has coem out with soemthing that will probably match the YFZ ( we''ll find out when they both line up) .I've heard way too much BS about how Yamaha is better than Honda , How Honda will smoke the YFZ ... How the Eton will smoke both quads hands down . LOL Like come on seriously ... I'm sure both quads will win their fair share of races . I really like my YFZ , even though the seat is hard as rock . But then again ... it was built as a motocross race machine and how many times do you sit while racing? I'm sure I would like the seat on the TRX450r way better than my YFZ .... but it's soemthing I'm gunna live with . Funny how you guys are all saying the Yamaha is a POS ... but ALL bikes have their flaws . Yes my YFZ has battery problems , but it's soemthing that can be fixed . I'm sure the TRX will have some sort of problem also ... it's soemthing that is expected when a machine is mass produced . Anythign that is mass produced has it's problems . Ask Dodge about they're weak trannys . I haven't had a single problem yet on my Dodge . Ask Chevy about their trucks burning up lights on the driver side ... It's a known fact . Mistakes are made during design ... it's a common error.

I personally can't wait till someone in my area has a TRX450r so I can line up against it . If I take him I'll shake his hand . If he takes me , I'll still shake his hand and tell him that he made a wise choice and bought a powerfull machine . Cuz if he outruns me , he's got a well made bike with tons of power cuz the YFZ hauls *** pretty good .

As said before ... the guys like Farr , and Ellis that are winning these races are professionals and they do this every day . They could probably beat anyone of us , while doing it on a stock 250ex or soemthing . I'm sure if you put Farr on a YFZ he'd still kill the competion , theres no doubt he's a fast rider and rider ability is more than machine ability . All these bikes are "one off pro bikes" Most of us don't have a clue what goes on behind the shop doors . I'm sure they are tricking these bikes out with mods we've never seen or ran before . They also have the best mechanics in the world wrenching on these bikes . So It's hard to say which brand is the best out there . Stock for Stock it will be interesting which will come out top ... but who really cares ... unless you're Tim Farr , or Cory Ellis does it really matter? Go out ... ride ... and have fun . Don't be brand biased . I got a buddy that thinks Yamaha is the best thing in the world ...I feel like slapping him cuz I know , that they have their flaws . And yes you're hearing this from a Yamaha owner ... I also own a Honda too . Had a suzuki at one time also . So as you can See I ain't brand biased . Well that's enough typing ... never wrote so much ( even in highschool).

FINALLY, an intelligent, logical post. I too, have a YFZ, one decked to the hilt for mx, but I would love to have a TRX as well. I woudl make one my mx machine and one my trail/back up. I have had too many different machines to be brand biased, it is just plain stupid. I like to throw my leg over my buddies JRD450 CRF all the time. Another friend of mine has a Z400 that is all set up and is bad as he11. People spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME worrying about the competition and not enough time riding!

NIce post Quad18star.

Scott

jarsong
01-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Yep I love our Z400 just as much as my YFZ. No different with the 450R. I can't wait to ride one, race one, and heck have both sitting next to each other on my track for a photo op... That poster material...
jarsong

Chef
01-26-2004, 08:05 PM

It was no one's decision to not run them. We could have either A: Ran them in the cow field and got $hit all over the brand new bikes, B: Ran them in wet grass and did no good what so ever besides making some nice tire tracks, or C: Ruin my driveway.

After riding them both back to back, I feel like the TRX accelerated harder than the YFZ, but I only rode the TRX for about 5 minutes. The owner of the YFZ (which would be my friend.) told me that he felt that the TRX was ATLEAST as hard accelerating as his YFZ, and maybe better. The ONLY kind of side by side drag race all day was between me and my EX and my friend on the YFZ, on wet asphalt. Between the roasting of my Razrs, and jumping out of gear, it was a close race. :blah:

We didnt even think to get pictures of them all side by side. It was kind of half raining/half snowing all day, we were damn soaked, and I didnt think of the camera until they were both loaded up. The TRX started first kick for me, hot, and I hadn't even sat on the thing before. Its jetted correctly from the factory; something that alot of YFZ's are not. The front end is kinda funny looking to me: The side pieces look like they are from the CRF450 bike, and the headlight is one big *** bulbous thing with two lights inside of it. I think stick a Hood and some billet lights on the bars and it would be in business. The stock light seemed to be pretty bright, atleast as good as the stock lights on our Raptor and his YFZ. It is definitely light, lighter than the YFZ I feel. Maybe thats just the front end, but its definitely lighter than my EX, and it feels lighter than the YFZ when you're riding it.

So next time, before you boys jump to conclusions, wait a little while and see what info pops up. :)

Quad18star
01-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Yamaha , Honda , Polaris , Bombardier , Gas gas all side by side . Would be an Awesome poster ..... " Welcome To The New Generation !!!"

psd1
01-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Weird, you could line up the 400 & the YFZ, but not the TRX & the YFZ? Here's a conclusion...that's stupid! :eek2:

Chef
01-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Weird, you could line up the 400 & the YFZ, but not the TRX & the YFZ? Here's a conclusion...that's stupid! :eek2:

We didnt really "line em up" so to speak. We just kinda took off down the road the same time. I'm sure those two were close to each other at some point, I was leading the whole time so I didnt pay much attention.

TDBRPH
01-26-2004, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda350r

I like the YFZ for the power hit but absolutely hate the rough ride it delivers!

I applaud Honda for the 450 but can you please explain the "absolutely rough ride" are you talking the seat or the suspension. If your complaint is the suspension did you adjust the factory settings or just assume one adjustment fits all. Now if your complaint is simply with the seat I can agree a little bit in that area but if you are sitting down you aren’t riding hard enough :) I am not trying to be a jerk just trying to figure out if I was the only one to get the non-rough riding YFZ. I was going to wait for the Honda and so far I am pleased with my decision. In fact when I take my old 416EX I sold to my buddy for a spin I ask myself how did I used to think this was the greatest handling quad I have ever ridden. Everyone has different preferences and I certainly can appreciate that but I feel the ergonomics on the YFZ are great and the handling far exceeds my old Fo' hundred not to mention the center of gravity is not even comparable. Like many I haven’t even seen a Honda TRX450R in person but I can't wait to ride one........ In the end all sport bike riders won with the competition and advancement shown in these bikes.

Keep the rubber side down

Triston

ps I only paid $6300 for my YFZ back in September and they are selling for around $6000 in my neck of the woods now so the prices are pretty comparable too !

2004TRX450R
01-27-2004, 01:45 AM

Thanks for the help.

The 450R stomps on the 400EX all day long!

2004TRX450R
01-27-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by merrill
Sound to me like they raced and the 450r lost. oh well, he could have at least told us. I don't care either way, I have a yfz and I'm getting a 450r this week. I'll let you know the truth, even if it hurts.:confused:

Sounds like a yamaha rider to me. If we did run them I'd tell the truth. You are just wanting to belive that the YFZ is faster so bad you draw your own conclusions wich are very inaccurate. :rolleyes:

2004TRX450R
01-27-2004, 01:49 AM

We never lined any of them up. We came out of the trail and all got on it. I was following just because I didn't know where we were going as I had never riddend there before and I usually stay back a little ways so as to not catch a bunch of rocks. We'd come out on the road and just take off and they were close when they hit the road so it was more of a race but not really. By the way option #3 of running down his driveway is kinda out as it is just wide enough for 1 car so it isn't anywhere near wide enough for two quads.

Thanks of posting that Donny. I was waiting for you to show up.

MIA450R
01-27-2004, 08:33 AM
The 450R stomps on the 400EX all day long!

Hey 2004TRX450R...
Stock for stock, I guess we were all kinda expecting that, both engine/power-wise and most definitely suspension/handling-wise.

But...

My 416EX (see mods in sig) could KILL a stock 400EX, beat Z400's, 250Rs/LT250Rs and 430/440EXs, and stay right with a lightly modded Raptor and modded DS650 Baja....

How does the 450R feel compared to these quads?

I realize the suspension/handling of the 450R will be significantly better than my 416, but the stock 450 engine had better be at least as fast as my 416....which my shop estimates was cranking out around 35-37HP.

Any seat of the pants guestimates from experience here?
Thanks bud.

merrill
01-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by merrill
Sound to me like they raced and the 450r lost. oh well, he could have at least told us. I don't care either way, I have a yfz and I'm getting a 450r this week. I'll let you know the truth, even if it hurts.

Sounds like a yamaha rider to me. If we did run them I'd tell the truth. You are just wanting to belive that the YFZ is faster so bad you draw your own conclusions wich are very inaccurate.

I had assumed you had more common sense than some of the kids posting on this site.
"a yamaha rider"
I race whatever bike I am faster on. I have a YFZ, I believe it will be hard to top, with only minor mods to the trx. I will probably have to race the YFZ for the first few races this season because the TRX will not be setup in time. If the TRX is even close to my YFZ then the Yamaha will be parked.
"a yamaha rider"
Who is a yamaha rider, before the YFZ what the hell would you race. I have never owned a yamaha until now, I am not loyal to either brand though I have been a honda fan for years.
I would actually rather race the Honda because I have so many sets of tires for the hondas.
Next time line them up,genius!

GlamisEXRider
01-27-2004, 05:27 PM
How does the new 450r compare to a 440ex?

dlboyes
01-27-2004, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the help.

I can help. I sold a 400ex to buy my 450r. The 450r handles much more precise. The light front end is because it has such immediate power. Have you ridden a modern 4 stroke mx bike lately. I rode a 426F the other day and it blew me away. The front end just floats. Minimal thottle input lifts the front tire where bikes of yesterday you actually had to twist hard for a reaction. Anything the 400ex can do, the 450r can do better. Definitely not for the inexperienced, where the ex could be handled by a newer rider. Oh yeah, I bought mine for the same reason. Trails and dunes. Maybe an occasional scramble or GP race. You wont be sorry.

desertratt45
01-27-2004, 10:33 PM
http://a0.cpimg.com/image/C8/71/29104840-968d-0200014C-.jpg
http://a9.cpimg.com/image/D1/72/29104849-90e0-0200011B-.jpg
http://a2.cpimg.com/image/C0/71/29104832-55e8-0200014C-.jpg
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/D7/72/29104855-e685-0200014C-.jpg

shee dawg
01-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Yo Desertratt45 theres another thread with the last pic saying that the the two raced and the 450r won 2 out of the 3 times can you confirm.

desertratt45
01-27-2004, 10:52 PM
i was by my self that morning so i couldnt run them agasnt each other. the 450 has a good power plant for sure but it was stock. with a pipe like the yfz it should come to life! its going to be some good racing now that there is an even playing feild. the one thing i didnt like about the honda was that it didnt corner as well as my yamaha. once it gets some new arms and axel should cure that. the honda was an inch narrower than the yamaha plus it is taller. which makes for a high center gravity.

shee dawg
01-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Cool thanks for the quick reply.... BTW are they both yours?!!!

If so you lucky dog if not your still a lucky dog you own a YFZ:devil:

r450rr
01-28-2004, 01:03 AM
I thought the 450R was wider than the yfz... i thought it was longer and wider.. I might be wrong.. thats just what i read somewhere.

Barely legal
01-28-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by biohazard1.2
No race? "things that make you go, Hmm?"
You could at least tell us how your TRX smoked your "buddies" stock YFZ.

Your analysis of the mid-range on the YFZ is flawed. There is no lack of low end punch. If you ride one that is properly jetted (not the easiest trick), you will know that the low end thing is a "not properly tuned" issue.

But, I look forward to seeing the TRX in the flesh, it has been long enough.

Take care.

100% agree. Jet a YFZ right and the low end is amazing. I can pull the front in 4th lugging it and sitting up o nthe bars.

JWhite
01-28-2004, 06:21 AM
Desertrat, is what I was told true? Did the Honda take it 2 out of 3?

Ya can't always trust what people say. I posted what I was told and I said I was "told" that.

Any truth to it?

Curious minds want to know.

MIA450R
01-28-2004, 08:23 AM
Thats correct, the 450R is slightly wider and longer. YFZ has slightly longer wheelbase and seat height is slightly lower.

I'm sure the stock tires makes the cornering difference.

JWhite
01-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by MIA450R
Thats correct, the 450R is slightly wider and longer. YFZ has slightly longer wheelbase and seat height is slightly lower.

I'm sure the stock tires makes the cornering difference.

EDIT: Yep...those tires make a difference as do so many other factors.

desertratt45
01-28-2004, 09:49 AM
funny thats wierd, when i took a tape measure to them the honda was an inch narrower in the front than the yamaha. now this was inside to inside of the wheels. not tires. the handle bars are an inch narrower also.the rear axel was 1/2 narrower rim to rim.

2004lebanshee
01-28-2004, 10:24 AM
You probably should not race till you run a few tanks of gas in it any way. I know that my banshee got faster after a few tanks. You should break it in properly before you really get on it. Just my opinion.

honda350r
01-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by 2004lebanshee
You probably should not race till you run a few tanks of gas in it any way. I know that my banshee got faster after a few tanks. You should break it in properly before you really get on it. Just my opinion.

Ride it hard or it will be a dog !!

MIA450R
01-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by JWhite
You just contridicted yourself man. If the Honda is wider and longer, then it would follow that the wheelbase is longer on the Honda too.

no man....

length is bumper to bumper.
wheelbase is dist. between front/rear wheels...

eh what do i know. who cares.

JWhite
01-28-2004, 01:23 PM
wheelbase is dist. between front/rear wheels...

EDIT: Yep...you're right. I was wrong.

TGW_400ex
01-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by shee dawg
Yo Desertratt45 theres another thread with the last pic saying that the the two raced and the 450r won 2 out of the 3 times can you confirm.

what thread?

kgbg
01-28-2004, 04:26 PM
I did not take the time to read allt he replies in here. I did ride mine about 5 mins. Its alot more comfortable than the YFZ, but slower as well. I have installed the HRC kit, well I should say the cam asn end cap, the rest of that crap is a joke. If any of you paid somebody to install it, you got ripped, its so easy to change the cam out, it the best design (for changing the cam) I have ever seen. Its all marked, simple and I did not even have to adjsut valves, stayed the same. I have the factory service manual, but its simple. I took some photos, I was going to do a write up and do a little how to article, but I am too busy. Get a manual and let her rip, don't be a puss, do it your self.
I have not ridden it since I did the cam.
I installed Tag T2's on it, I ditched the black plastic thing. I mounted the temp light in the plastic, left side, the key in the plastic right side, looks factory, just like I did on the Z400.
I will be at the dunes this weekend, with Y450 w/ cam mod and stock pipe, 440ex, DS, my Z w/ 12.5:1 FCR, and cams, 295R, and a Predator. I will find out what does what better.
Its super light, I got rid of 10 pounds of BS. There is more to come......
The only thing that sucks, there are no parts yet! I need a arms, shocks, axle, nerfs, and a pipe.

Chef
01-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by JWhite
Wheelbase is measured from the base of each tire. The distance all the way around from centerpoint to centerpoint. ALL 4 sides added up.

I thought you were confusing that earlier. And you were because wheelbase is not by any means "dist. between front/rear wheels..."

Now you know what wheelbase is. :D

So you are saying that wheelbase is measured in a square, all 4 sides of the bike added up? That would give a wheel base of over 200 inches on alot of bikes...:huh

Wheel base is the distance from the center of the rear hub to the center of the front hub.

r450rr
01-28-2004, 07:19 PM
just to find out for myself i went to both websites and compared,, here what i came up with...

450R yfz 450

wheelbase= 49.2 50.4
lenth = 72.6 72.4
width = 46.3 46.1
height = 43.6 42.9
seat height = 32.6 31.5
ground clearance = 4.2 4.4
gas tank = 3.2 2.6

r450rr
01-28-2004, 07:21 PM
sorry about them being so close together but from left to right,, it starts with hondas specs

Woody_YFZ
01-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by kgbg
I did not take the time to read allt he replies in here. I did ride mine about 5 mins. Its alot more comfortable than the YFZ, but slower as well. I have installed the HRC kit, well I should say the cam asn end cap, the rest of that crap is a joke. If any of you paid somebody to install it, you got ripped, its so easy to change the cam out, it the best design (for changing the cam) I have ever seen. Its all marked, simple and I did not even have to adjsut valves, stayed the same. I have the factory service manual, but its simple. I took some photos, I was going to do a write up and do a little how to article, but I am too busy. Get a manual and let her rip, don't be a puss, do it your self.
I have not ridden it since I did the cam.
I installed Tag T2's on it, I ditched the black plastic thing. I mounted the temp light in the plastic, left side, the key in the plastic right side, looks factory, just like I did on the Z400.
I will be at the dunes this weekend, with Y450 w/ cam mod and stock pipe, 440ex, DS, my Z w/ 12.5:1 FCR, and cams, 295R, and a Predator. I will find out what does what better.
Its super light, I got rid of 10 pounds of BS. There is more to come......
The only thing that sucks, there are no parts yet! I need a arms, shocks, axle, nerfs, and a pipe.

Looking forward to your write up, what dunes are you going to?

JWhite
01-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Chef
Wheel base is the distance from the center of the rear hub to the center of the front hub.

Sorry guys....I was wrong...

kgbg
01-29-2004, 12:32 PM
Looking forward to your write up, what dunes are you going to?

Woody,
I will be at Little Saraha on Saturday, its going to be cold, but I dont care.

jarsong
01-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by r450rr
just to find out for myself i went to both websites and compared,, here what i came up with...

450R yfz 450

wheelbase= 49.2 50.4
lenth = 72.6 72.4
width = 46.3 46.1
height = 43.6 42.9
seat height = 32.6 31.5
ground clearance = 4.2 4.4
gas tank = 3.2 2.6

450R is a shorter wheelbase, which is why it wheelie's everywhere.
jarsong

MIA450R
01-29-2004, 02:08 PM
ok, so after getting it home this AM and warming it up for a bit, I took her for a tear around my neighborhood. I didnt wind the throttle out hard, but it definetly pulls at least as hard, and prob harder than my 416. And dont take this the wrong way, my 416 walked away from most 430 and 440EX's, Z400s and the like. Awesome low end, hard pull thru mid....havent tapped into the top yet...

I can't wait to finish the break in and really wind it out.

Big smile on my face.

shee dawg
01-29-2004, 04:01 PM
ok, so after getting it home this AM and warming it up for a bit, I took her for a tear around my neighborhood. I didnt wind the throttle out hard, but it definetly pulls at least as hard, and prob harder than my 416. And dont take this the wrong way, my 416 walked away from most 430 and 440EX's, Z400s and the like. Awesome low end, hard pull thru mid....havent tapped into the top yet...

Big smile on my face.

Congrats man you may be the first in Ma to pick theres up. Maybe see you on the trails or track one day :)

jarsong
01-29-2004, 04:27 PM

Big smile on my face.

Awesome! Break it in like you stole it!!!!
jarsong

Evan
01-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Someone let me know if those half inch differences make or break a race. If you are good enough to notice those half inch differences, you proably aint human.

"OMG!!! my quad is .6 inches higher than his, Im gonna lose!!!":eek:

desertratt45
01-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Evan
Someone let me know if those half inch differences make or break a race. If you are good enough to notice those half inch differences, you proably aint human.

"OMG!!! my quad is .6 inches higher than his, Im gonna lose!!!":eek:

well i am human and i noticed the differance the frist time i tried to pitch it sideways.

Bretmd94
01-30-2004, 12:32 PM
I just picked up mine last night. I had to do a little run down the street and back up. This may have been on a public road in the middle of town and with no helment :eek: oops. But at first when it was kicked over, it sounded close to a stock 400ex. A little dissapointing. But the 10hp that the 450r has over the 400ex is definatly there. Even with the poopy exhaust the thing had nuts. It reminded me of my old raptor power wise. Its not broken in though so i didnt open it up all the way yet. Next week it will be broken in and Curtis Sparks exhaust is on the way. Its time to kick some Raptor *** on the dunes.