PDA

View Full Version : running alcohol on my 400ex

crashinmatt
02-24-2002, 09:01 AM
I was wondering, what all has to be done to run alcohol on my 400ex? I know that the carburator needs to be converted. Does anything internally in the motor need to be changed? Also, would I be able to still run gas, or just alcohol? I heard through one of my co-workers, that he knows a place that sells the alcohol pretty cheap. If this is the case, then I think it may be a good investment. What do you guys think?

VegasEx'r
02-24-2002, 09:55 AM
I've been thinking about doing this too, but not for several more months, so I don't have all the details, but this is what I think is correct. To run alcohol I have been told you need an FCR carb (I guess the stock one won't work, but I don't know why) with a needle, pilot & main jet made for alcohol (you have to get way more alky into the engine to run). You also will need a larger fuel petcock & fuel line so that more fuel can be dumped into the carb. I have heard that a fuel pump is good, but not necessary. I know that you can't leave alcohol sitting in the carb, so you have to run regular gas through it after each ride. I believe you can ride it w/ regular gas, but you would be very rich. One thing I though of doing was keeping my stock carb as is & use it for putting around, and have another carb ready for alcohol, so that I could switch them when needed. If I am wrong on any of this, somebody please speak up & let me know.

Sandragggen
02-24-2002, 01:06 PM
With the FCR you can switch back to gas by changing jets and needle. You don't need a larger petcock from what Sparks tells me all you have to do is take the filter screens out of the gas tank.