PDA

View Full Version : GNCC Racing!!!!!!?all gncc racers look

foxracingpredat
01-24-2004, 12:50 AM
since the 2004 GNCC Racing season is only a week away i would really love to see all the GNCC hype start to pick up around here again! i think the best forums on this site are the ones having to do with gncc racing. well i have a question for all you gncc racers...i have only raced on one gncc race course and that is the Ironman in Crawfordsville, In..I was just wondering for those of you that race many races in the GNCC series which is your favorite race and why? which do u think is the hardest and why? which the most worthwhile to go to for some1 who cannot make all the gncc's? also how do the other tracks compare to the Ironman track? is the ironman a tough track compared to the others, and are there any other gncc's with rougher hillclimbs than the ironman?
Thanks for all responses

bradley300
01-24-2004, 08:33 AM
sparta KY is by far the best track. it has a little of evrything, real tight stuff, meduim stuff and wide open stuff. good creek sections, great hill climbs. Also, thequadshop cookout the night before! cant ask for anything better!

did i mention its only 45 minutes away?:D

jesshamner
01-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the un-biased opinion Brad. LOL. You didn't like Florida the best? :D

gump
01-24-2004, 01:35 PM
steele creek is the only one i've run so far and it was awesome.. muddy as heck tho...

cdalejef
01-24-2004, 04:55 PM
I'll try to answer this as best as I can.
Ironman is one of the easier tracks if you don't count the hills. The hills there are probally the steepest on the circuit but not nearly the longest. Steele Creek has some real long hills, and so does St Clairsville and The Wisp.
To me the hard tracks are the ones that are ruff and wooped out like Loretta Lynn's. They aren't techincally hard, just hard on this old body. :(
My favorite tracks are the ones that are technical like Sparta, The Wisp, Rausch Creek and any that get a bunch of rain before or during the race like The Penton and The Hurricane this year.
All the tracks are fun except for Loretta Lynn's in my opinion.
If I had to pick one that I would recommend to someone I would have to say..........Sparta.

gizmocor
01-24-2004, 05:44 PM
My favorite race is Loretta Lynn's. The track gets really whooped out and rough but the speeds in the woods are fast. I like it rough and fast because it favors a guy who is in good shape and has done his homework on bike setup. I think the hardest race this year was probably Virginia just because of the extreme heat. There was a lot of tight woods and mud sections there to slow you down a keep you from getting a nice breeze to cool you down. As far as tracks it would probably be Rausch. There are sooooo many rocks there and the speeds are down a bit because of how technical it is. When you have to slow down in technical stuff I always feel like I need to be going faster and it drives me crazy. If you could only make 1 GNCC I would strongly recommend the Wisp in Maryland. The first year the track was a bit over the top but it mellowed out some last year and the scenery and facilities are second to none. There are a lot of recreational activities available there too. On the Ironman track, I agree with Jeff. Most of the track is fairly flat and easy. There are 3 or 4 tricky sections exiting creeks or climbing hills that can be difficult if your not attacking them. The big thing is having your suspension dialed so you can carry your speed up the hills. You don't want to get to the bottom of the hill and get out of line because your suspension kicked. Carry speed and the hills at Ironman aren't a problem. Hardest hillclimbs??...well...mother nature pretty much dictates that, but I would say the hardest climb we hit this year was at Rausch. It wasn't that steep but there were a ton of lines and a lot of Rocks that could stop you dead in your tracks. Kentucky always has some slick climbs too.

foxracingpredat
01-25-2004, 12:03 PM
thanks for all the replies, it really helps a new racer figure out what gnccs to go to. keep em coming!!

rowlrag
01-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Goto all of them, I liked them all but didn't goto Florida. Some are harder than others, but as long as you have fun there pretty easy.

pa_countryboy
01-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Whats st. clairsville like compared to the rest of the tracks. Is it real rocky, tight, alot of long hills or just a few, alot of creek crossings?

coryatver
01-26-2004, 12:06 PM
pa_countryboy it has a mixture of almost everything. It has open fields its not to rocky but in spots it is. There is a huge water hole and after that you run right up a rocky creek bed

cdalejef
01-26-2004, 01:23 PM
one pretty good sized hill that cought quite a few people off guard.

Right Stroker ;)

01-26-2004, 01:28 PM
Not that I've been to many GNCC races but the Spartan was the funnest XC race I've ever raced in. My first was the Ironman, I showed up in summer race gear, it was like 30 degrees colder there than it was at home and raining. So I froze my arse off all day, ran with cut fenders, but finished in the top 50% of my class..:cool:

pa_countryboy
01-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys was thinkin bout racin at st. clairsville this year and was wonderin what to expect.

WOOLIN
01-26-2004, 02:45 PM
I think that St. Clairsville was my favorite last year. Maybe because I got third in my class. Mathews Farm was pretty good too.

Scott Kawi700
01-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Woolin, wasn't St Clairsville where you got slam dunked off the start?

Pappy
01-26-2004, 03:16 PM
ummmm...lemme see here:

The Penton: drank beer with everyone till 3 am...mulletman was tryin to get us to shut up all night:o

The General: watched everyone get stuck in the georgia clay all day...drank all night:o

Steel Creek: shrimp shish ka boobs...and beer:o

Wisp: got to give a beautiful young lady a lift on my quad:) and drank beer...and we won that one:cool:

Scott Kawi700
01-26-2004, 03:17 PM
My bad Woolin! I was thinkin of Ben.:cool:

240GNCC400
01-26-2004, 06:34 PM
power line is probably my favorite track, a little bit of everything and its not much of a drive. penton would be ok if the weather ever cooperated. ky was probably the most fun track last year.
everything about the wisp is fun except the actual race. it costs too much in tires to be fun. mat farms sucked. they forgot to take the track into the woods.

cdalejef
01-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Scott Kawi700
My bad Woolin! I was thinkin of Ben.:cool: OUCH.....very OUCH!!!

Wingnut
01-26-2004, 08:17 PM
It's hard to say which one I like best. I think my favorites are Rausch Creek, Wisp, Sparta, Ironman, and Steele Creek in that order.

Scott Kawi700
01-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
OUCH.....very OUCH!!!

UH OH!! Should I be watchin my back now?:blah: :D

emj426
01-26-2004, 09:40 PM
I went to all of the gncc races in 2003 except FL and GA and all of them were fun. The only one that I didn't like was the Ironman. (Maybe that was just because I took a hard crash!) Try to make it to as many as you can!

bradley300
01-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Not that I've been to many GNCC races but the Spartan was the funnest XC race I've ever raced in. My first was the Ironman, I showed up in summer race gear, it was like 30 degrees colder there than it was at home and raining. So I froze my arse off all day, ran with cut fenders, but finished in the top 50% of my class..:cool:

i remeber that like it was yesterday!lol, anybody ever see a racer pull to the finishe line w a six pack looped around the handybars?lol

cletusEX
01-26-2004, 11:49 PM
So Rico you gonna be the 25-32 year old champ! Better have the right race gear!