PDA

View Full Version : Flat Track racing on Coke Syrup?

Regulator 250X
01-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey fellow racers... I am about to embark on an unventured territory in racing to me. FLAT TRACK! I race motocross every summer but one of my buds that races MX with me just started racing flat track and is getting me into it. It is an indoor facility and short. They dont use dirt they apparently spray fountain coke syrup on the concrete for traction. If anyone has ever raced on this before let me know and give me some pointers. Im just going to be cutting the lugs off some old turf tamers and racing it like my MX setup. No sway bar just all balls.... Let me know if you have anything about this!! Later dudes!!

ckasper18
01-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Invest in some flattrack tires and lower your bike down.Most of them are short and tight and get a good start and hold your line you should do all right.

dirtmomma
01-24-2004, 10:25 AM
:huh WTF COKE SYRUP never heard of such a thing but I suppose there's all types out there LOL YEAH you definetly wanna get some class "C" tires sounds like for that track!!! You WILL NOT like knobbies believe me & yes you need to LOWER it or you will be high siding & WILL NOT LIKE IT!!! Flattrack racing is AWESOME!!! As far as the sway bar it would really help to keep your tires on the track but you dont' have to have one unless your gonna get into it THEN you will want one. I ran for the 1st time this season w/ one & WOW what a difference you can't even feel the lumpies on the track if there are any & it helped BIG TIME w/ my spiining out issues :o :p
GOOD LUCK & have fun let us know how it goes!!!!

MXQUAD294
01-24-2004, 10:34 AM
A friend of mine ran in a Quad Wars event last weekend in Little Rock at a monster truck show. He told me they ran on concrete with the coke syrup on the floor. He said at first it was slick but after the ran it in a lap or two it got very tacky and his bike hooked up like crazy! He ran his 250R MX bike with grooved Turf Tamers. They only ran in a counter clockwise oval around the arena which he said ate up his right rear tire. Good luck.

dirtmomma
01-24-2004, 02:26 PM
HAHA thats some crazy chit man!! I was watching TV a littel while ago & some model show or something but a guy was putting coke ont he bottom of his shoes so he didn't slip on the runway!!! So heck I guess you could race on it too, but yep I bet it's harder than hell on the tires:p

LTandRaptorider
01-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
HAHA thats some crazy chit man!! I was watching TV a littel while ago & some model show or something but a guy was putting coke ont he bottom of his shoes so he didn't slip on the runway!!! So heck I guess you could race on it too, but yep I bet it's harder than hell on the tires:p

Hmmm... I prefer Pepsi... :p

660bigdaddy
01-25-2004, 06:31 AM
i used to race karts and in the winter time they held a few races indoors on coke syrup. talk about hook. the stuff gets super sticky. get the softest compound tire you can. it's a blast. true meaning of fast and furious.
btw, stay out of the styrofoam blocks. they make a mess when you crash.:huh

Burden7
01-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Just curious as to where you are racing at? A couple years ago, I raced in Waterloo, IA on coke syrup. A cheap and easy setup for racing on coke syrup is to use square tubing for your front shocks. Just lower your quad down until the a-arms are straight across or just a little bit of angle. You don't want your a-arms to be inverted. Then measure the distance between the upper and lower shock mounts and cut some square tubing to the correct length. I made the outside one about a 1/4" longer than the inside one, so it would act somewhat like a sway bar and put more weight on the left rear tire than the right rear tire. You could do the same thing for the rear also or you could buy a rear lowering kit. By having solid suspension, it will act like a go-cart and have really quick steering. You also won't have the side roll or tendency to high side. There was a guy with a banshee that ran the pro class back then and mopped up the field with this setup. Racing on coke syrup is a blast and it will be some really close racing.

dirtmomma
01-26-2004, 08:44 AM
OK the more I read this the more i think.........................................
YOU GUYS ARE FRIGGIN WHACKY!!!! ROFLMFAO :D :blah:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the last post WOW thats scary!!! If you just put like an 18" tires on that'll lower it alot, not too sure about putting square tubing in for your shocks:eek2: :huh :huh you do need it too give a little come on now!!

seatec
01-26-2004, 08:50 AM
When i used to race RC on-road cars we used to spray sprite or sugar water on the track for traction. works great. Very spectacular seeing a 1/8 scale RC-car doing 80mph do a traction flip.

Burden7
01-26-2004, 10:42 AM
If you just put like an 18" tires on that'll lower it a lot, not too sure about putting square tubing in for your shocks you do need it too give a little come on now!!

Why would you need a little bit of travel on a concrete, short track oval? It isn't like its dirt and has an uneven surface. Go-carts don't have suspension and they race on concrete, so why should a lowered quad be any different? I have raced on coke syrup with suspension and with square tubes and it is a world of difference how much better it handles with the tubes. There is no side roll going through the corners like there was with regular suspension. I know it sounds odd, but it all makes sense once you try it out.

dirtmomma
01-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Burden7
Why would you need a little bit of travel on a concrete, short track oval? It isn't like its dirt and has an uneven surface. Go-carts don't have suspension and they race on concrete, so why should a lowered quad be any different? I have raced on coke syrup with suspension and with square tubes and it is a world of difference how much better it handles with the tubes. There is no side roll going through the corners like there was with regular suspension. I know it sounds odd, but it all makes sense once you try it out.

OK sorry I'll keep my trap shut!! Never raced on concrete so I'll butt out:D

coorsinmyc-bak
01-26-2004, 06:21 PM
we raced on beer once.damn that tree hurt.

SECCRS
01-27-2004, 03:34 AM
We use it all the time at the quad wars and the monster truck shows. Allows us to get traction. Been using it for years. Your definalty going to want some diffrent low profile tires. Dont go soft cause you just chew them up with. Just get a regular compound and youll be surprised how much traction you will get.

Good Lucky and have fun, crashing on concrete hurts so make sure you still wear all your gear.

Doug

dirtmomma
01-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by coorsinmyc-bak
we raced on beer once.damn that tree hurt. LMAO yep done that too didn't hit no trees though;)

Regulator 250X
01-27-2004, 04:47 PM
hey thanks for all the suggestions. Ill just be using the turf tamers this weekend without the knobs. They are a pretty soft compound and they are getting old no sweat off my sack if they get trashed. If i enjoy it enough I just might have to invest in some other tires. Does anyone have a pics of them flat tracking, maybe help me out with looking at body postioning and such, and just something cool to look at... Thanks dudes

dirtmomma
01-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Here ya go.............for some more pics check out www.sandvigracing.freeservers.com there are alot of my son & he has got awesome body english!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p9d26f739e7968efeda71a6672b828898/fa984465.jpg

Here's something you DON'T want to do, catch someone's tire:eek: :eek2: Nothing happened to him(son) but last season this happened & he went sailing thru the air like superman & landed spread eagle on his belly :eek2:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p5d812c68735684b532aeca5be817336b/fa7cd5b7.jpg

Hree's the ending result from his wipe out last year:macho he's pretty tough though, this one he did have to sit a race out due to hitting his head:(
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid86/p51bf2a85941aa8d8ef8db1ab4d4fa12c/fab0707d.jpg

ok last one this is one of my favorites from this season!! He's our Youth 200cc CHAMPION
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pcfff1773601dfe04b45cbc6ba62fd1b5/fa4d3080.jpg

Regulator 250X
02-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Well I survived my first flat track race. And as of right now prolly going to be my last. I loved racing it but when you are in college you cant afford to have two different race setups. But anyway I started with a bad pole position, acutally last. I was one of of five total quads in the second row. So I never really could race real tight with anyone. I tell ya what that coke syrup sure made me hook up like mad though. I could pull wheelies like it was my day job on that stuff. My buddy on the 250R would just spin out, but I could hook up(really didnt help). So anyway I got last but still got the trophy. If i get the time or oppurtunity I can put my video tape on the internet and let you guys see it if you want!! Later dudes!

dirtmomma
02-05-2004, 04:14 PM
RIGHT ON!!! Thats cool sounds like you had a good time. So you really hooked up on the coke syrup huh? Sucks ya had to start in the back :( Sounds like they had pretty big classes. YEP it's definetly costly to race flattrack & mx we dont' do a whole lot but my son wants to start mx'ing this summer but we'll just have to see, it's a pain to have to set them up every weekend for something different!!

Regulator 250X
02-06-2004, 05:23 PM
yeah no kidding, the biggest hassle at the race was saran wrapping the tires so they wouldnt get wet from the snow since we had to pit outside. It was pretty sucky. I had a good time, but there was only 5 quads in the amatuer class and 3 in the outlaw class. All three in the outlaw class were 250R's and were set up like they should be... Well hopefully i can get the video out there sometime. Later dudes...

ReconRider25
02-06-2004, 08:39 PM
when i first opened this thread i thought it was gonna be about using coke syrup instead of gas.:p boy am i dumb. lol

QCquad83
02-10-2004, 10:12 PM
i have raced two of these quad wars at the mark in Il....just run your mx setup....i ran turftamers and i didn't need to strap my bike down....they say do not run flat track tires....youll just spin......it's pretty fun we were pulling the left front tires off the ground in like third to fourth gear. the crowd loves it......

ridefastrgetoff
02-11-2004, 08:31 AM
15 yrs. ago when I moved to Tulsa, OK, running on coke syrup used to be an annual event here at the Darrell Starbird Rod & Customer Show; Tulsa has a huge EXPO building, it's where they now run the Tulsa Chili Bowl (Midget Sprints) and Tulsa Shootout (Micro Sprints). Coke is a lot of fun and man, you don't have to worry about any dust ! haha But, once that stuff starts getting tacky, it can pull the rubber right off and there have been many folks have flats because of it. Softer or Harder Compound, there's many folks that would argue that but I'm no expert just a fan that loves to watch. It looks like it would hurt when those guys high-side and land on that concrete floor !!! Have fun !