PDA

View Full Version : New 400EX owner, what to look for.

bobbo97f150
01-23-2004, 07:20 PM
I just bought an 01 400EX. What do I need to look out for and what are common problems? I already pulled out the pivot bolt and greased it up pretty good. I know each quad has it's ups and downs and I was just curious as to what the downs are for this one. Thanks

remlapr
01-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. That's one of the great things about 400ex, they don't need a ton of maintenence. Check your front a-arms for play where they connect to the frame and check for play in the ball joints. Then check for play in the rear axle. Check your valve clearence or have it done. If it has a pipe and filter on it you can check the plug to check your jetting - do some searches for jetting info...

remlapr
01-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Oh yeah, best advice I can give you is to read back in the forums on here - you will learn a lot about your quad in a short amount of time...

bobbo97f150
01-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks, all that stuff seems to be tight. The ball joints and bushings are pretty new(about a year old) because it has Herrmann +2 a-arms. It does need a set of rings though and I will check the valves after I complete that. One thing I did notice though is there is slack in the sprocket hub. It has a Lonestar axle on it with a rad locking nut. I believe it also has a Herrmann bearing carrier. I think I am gonna tear all that down tomorow and have a look at it. I hope the axle splines aren't beginning to strip out. Thanks again.