PDA

View Full Version : another motor question

tnine416
01-23-2004, 05:21 PM
I am getting very close to a rebuild and I was wondering what is the difference between sending off your motor to sparks, ct, baldwin, etc... opposed to buying the parts and installing them yourself(besides the bore)...

is there a power difference? do they do something special? If I am going to keep my ex I want it to compete and beat some newer quads!! I really want a baldwin built motor but I dont want to dump a bunch of cash for the same gains...

01-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by tnine416
I am getting very close to a rebuild and I was wondering what is the difference between sending off your motor to sparks, ct, baldwin, etc... opposed to buying the parts and installing them yourself(besides the bore)...

is there a power difference? do they do something special? If I am going to keep my ex I want it to compete and beat some newer quads!! I really want a baldwin built motor but I dont want to dump a bunch of cash for the same gains...

nope...i got the boring from sparks and bought everything then assembled it myself...i also did my own porting...this is what i would do if i was you...buy a clymers manual and go to work on it...do a little porting...jus smooth everything out...takin out the defects...dont go mad crazy unless u want a pure hp drag bike...i would jus get the boring and the parts and do the assembling and porting urself...unless you dont kno what ur doin...then get someone to lend you a hand that is experianced:D

tnine416
01-23-2004, 05:37 PM
awesome, thats what I will do then...

now, another question...
are the gains more or ALOT more than stock...wheelying machine? lil bit faster than a raptor? I need to know

the reason I ask is because I need all the help I can get to beat those banshees and raptors:o :rolleyes:

01-23-2004, 05:46 PM
awesome, thats what I will do then...

now, another question...
are the gains more or ALOT more than stock...wheelying machine? lil bit faster than a raptor? I need to know

the reason I ask is because I need all the help I can get to beat those banshees and raptors:o :rolleyes:

if ur talkin my setup u should own raptors and some shees...a built raptor will give u a run for ur money and a built shee would beat u for sure...but a built raptor vs my setup...we run damn close...if u want a low end setup i wouldnt run what i got...i run mine for high rpm xc race bike

BIGRED400
01-23-2004, 06:30 PM
I done my 416 myself, got the parts including Clymer's Manual from C&D RACING http://colbykostman.tripod.com/
Took the piston and rings to a local Machine Shop( a man I knew for 24 years),Done right put together...already had a few Z400 Owners had this look:confused:after a run with my stock looking 400....we used to call them sleepers in high school 27 years ago...damn I'm old but still a gearhead:D

tnine416
01-23-2004, 06:47 PM
^^^hahaha
thanks for all the info and I will definately look into it. Honda_Racer I am glad to hear about your setup beating raptors and some banshees...and also, your set-up (high rpm xc) is exactly what I want, is it tough keepin the rpm's up with a 416 over stock?

01-23-2004, 06:49 PM
^^^hahaha
thanks for all the info and I will definately look into it. Honda_Racer I am glad to hear about your setup beating raptors and some banshees...and also, your set-up (high rpm xc) is exactly what I want, is it tough keepin the rpm's up with a 416 over stock?

no way...my bike revs out so fast its easy to keep the rpm up...its not so much that i dont have any power down low...its just down low i cant take advantage of all my mods...and up high is like a huge power burst...its very easy to keep the rpm up:D

cals400ex
01-24-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
no way...my bike revs out so fast its easy to keep the rpm up...its not so much that i dont have any power down low...its just down low i cant take advantage of all my mods...and up high is like a huge power burst...its very easy to keep the rpm up:D

hey, what compression did you have sparks cut your piston at? i am not including the thinner gaskets or anything, just what compression the piston was cut at. also, do you still run on premium fuel?

01-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
hey, what compression did you have sparks cut your piston at? i am not including the thinner gaskets or anything, just what compression the piston was cut at. also, do you still run on premium fuel?

it was built at 11:1 and i still run premium and my bike doesnt ping or nething...even after riding for 2 hours...but for the dunes and when its hotter i run a 50:50 mix...i also am gonna run that when i race

dirtmomma
01-24-2004, 10:20 AM
YEP do it yourself!!! We do ALL our motor work except for boring it'll save ya a TON of dough!!! Our machine guy does our boring so it works out great!!

we used to call them sleepers in high school 27 years ago...damn I'm old but still a gearhead

HAHA YEP so did we!! It's funny cuz I called mine a sleeper on here once & someone asked "whats a sleeper":confused: :huh kids these days LMAO!!!

cals400ex
01-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
it was built at 11:1 and i still run premium and my bike doesnt ping or nething...even after riding for 2 hours...but for the dunes and when its hotter i run a 50:50 mix...i also am gonna run that when i race

are you running only one layer of the headgasket too? did you take out the base gasket?

Derrick D
01-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Does your machinist's use a torque plate when they bore the cylinder?

01-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
are you running only one layer of the headgasket too? did you take out the base gasket?

im pretty sure...and i still run the base...both are sparks gaskets...they are very thin