PDA

View Full Version : Cash Sponsors

emj426
01-23-2004, 10:54 AM
How the heck do you get good cash sponsors for GNCC racing? I have several really good parts sponsors, but no cash sponsors!

01-23-2004, 11:00 AM
good luck most sponsers will tell you there to involved with nascar. or something like that. try like a local pizza shop,or beer distrib.

emj426
01-23-2004, 11:13 AM
That's what i hear when I go to the local bike shops. I get told that they support the race tracks. I did get a small truck company to sponsor a little in 2003 but it didn't put a dent in how much I spent out.

cdalejef
01-24-2004, 06:51 AM
Good luck, I have never had a sponcer give cash in my 15 year run.

Pappy
01-24-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Good luck, I have never had a sponcer give cash in my 15 year run.

well ill offer you $100 cash for any top 3 finish this season:)

and you have to stay in the pro class...not first year racer:grr: :blah:

cdalejef
01-24-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

and you have to stay in the pro class...not first year racer:grr: :blah: Ok, but thats gonna be a tuff one.

mx8
01-24-2004, 07:53 AM
:eek:

You have to be rich to go anywhere in racing. Ever look at the jobs that the top pros have. They don't if they do it's for there mom or dad. The average person can only go so far. I think the pro production class is the best thing they have did for awhile. I think they should only have five or six races a year. [nationals] That way people with real jobs can have a chance to hit all of them. There are more tim farrs, doug gusts, so on so on out there but don't have the money to hit twelve races a year. Or the time. IF YOU HAVE ENDLESS MONEY YOUR MAKE TO THE TOP.

01-24-2004, 08:43 AM

and you have to stay in the pro class...not first year racer:grr: :blah:

ill take $100 bux for a pro class top 3 finish...just not in the gncc :D :blah:

cdalejef
01-24-2004, 08:43 AM
I have to disagree there..... I can only think of 1 GNCC pro that is pretty well off money wise. All but 1 have real jobs.

toby400ex
01-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Like Matt Smiley does landscaping, he says it keeps him in shape.

mx8
01-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Sorry woods racing must be different than mx. I only raced mx six years. A few local woods races. Mx got to be very costly. Tell me a little more about the cost diff in woods racing. The help i got was only like 5% the best was 20% off parts. I sent a nice resumes to everyone with pics. Not bragging but i won the overall in my dist. First at loretta lynns 400 b. And some other top 5 places at the gnc. You think that you could get a little more help than that. I always thought get rid of the ama. Have all outlaw tracks and only pay money back????

cdalejef
01-24-2004, 09:59 AM
The cost probally isn't much different, I was just making the point that you don't have to be rich to run the pro class.

emj426
01-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Well, I'm not rich and since I am a female, I guess I won't be running in the pro class. Guess I will just keep paying out of my pocket....like I did in 2003.

cdalejef
01-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by emj426
Well, I'm not rich and since I am a female, I guess I won't be running in the pro class. Guess I will just keep paying out of my pocket....like I did in 2003. just because your female doesn't mean you can't run pro. And like I said you don't need to be rich to race pro either. Just set a budget and stick to it. Its worked for me for years. There is lots of little things that you can do to cut racing costs like camping at the track and bringing food from home.

racerx573
01-27-2004, 01:28 AM
Females usually get a better sponsorship. There is a D rider girl in my district that got free tires, and stuff like that, as well as some good discounts. Some being better than what I got as an A rider.

jlhughes750
01-27-2004, 07:45 AM
Jeff whats your input on this comment????

I think that being not rich but "well off" makes things better.

I'm sure that all 10 of the top ten GNCC racers have a rather unique "well off" situation!!! Wether you read it as $wealth or not.. If you have a family owned business that allows everyone to stand behind you and travel to support you thats a "well off" situation..... If u bust arse landscaping to try to stay in shape,but work for a cloase friend that lets u take off when ever, thats a "well off" situation..... If u never had to spend that 1rst 10K to build that first race bike cause your parents laid out the doe just to give u something to do.... that is a good start to being in a "well off" situation. Sure our champ is a farmer, but most farmers in my area were not rollin in Cummins Deisel Dodges with 24 ft trailers and lotsa chrome back in the early 90's......... My point is $rich is a vague topic...everyones interpertation of rich is different..... I tried to run a season of 250A in 97 and was doing ok till....Mt. Morris.... My parents had no interest in racing....my girl (wife now) had no interest and I made 19K a year...... It was hard and after a tranny explosion at Mt Morris while leading Greg Goad for nearly 1.5 hours... it was the end for the year..... and no natioanl # for me!!!!! Had my parents been 100% supportive and helped financially or had known anyone that had some $ that new i could ride... I woulda been pretty "well off"......

Pappy
01-27-2004, 07:52 AM
ID SAY MONEY PLAYS ITS ROLE...but....I DONT KNOW OF ANY RIDER THAT WAS HANDED A ROLL OF CASH AND OVERNIGHT BECAME A TOP 10 RIDER.

most of the top ten in gnc and gncc have paid thier dues and earned what they have.

01-27-2004, 07:53 AM

and you have to stay in the 25 - 33 class...not first year racer:grr: :blah:

Sounds like a good deal to me, I'll try my best pappy...:devil:

I also take canned payments too...:o

Pappy
01-27-2004, 07:54 AM
rico ill offer you a free case of beer for every top 5:devil:

01-27-2004, 07:57 AM
rico ill offer you a free case of beer for every top 5:devil:

That's what I call contingency, who needs trophies or money...LOL

:muscle: :muscle:

465Stroker
01-27-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by emj426
Well, I'm not rich and since I am a female, I guess I won't be running in the pro class. Guess I will just keep paying out of my pocket....like I did in 2003.

Getting great sponsors is an investment of money & TIME.

There is light at the end of the tunnel you are looking into - you just have to put your time in..

cdalejef
01-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Sure it helps to have money but like rick said, you must put your time in to become a top pro.
I'll use Bill for an example, I hope he doesn't mind. There was one point in the mid 90's that Bill had to quit racing because they simply had run out of money. He was riding a basicaly stock 250R. Now that he's worked his ***** off on the farm and on the track he is making a nice living racing.

465Stroker
01-27-2004, 08:29 AM
Sure it helps to have money but like rick said, you must put your time in to become a top pro.
I'll use Bill for an example, I hope he doesn't mind. There was one point in the mid 90's that Bill had to quit racing because they simply had run out of money. He was riding a basicaly stock 250R. Now that he's worked his ***** off on the farm and on the track he is making a nice living racing.

Jeff,

She is a Women's Class racer - Not a Pro..

It is possible for a Women's class racer to have "Pro Level" help tho - but it takes time to meet sponsors and show stabile results year after year.to get to that level..

mx8
01-27-2004, 08:40 AM
That was said very well. I did not mean that the pros did not pay there dues i know it takes more than money to be fast. But like you said you have to have someone behind you to help build a 20.000 quad. And every time you blow a motor or something help you fix it. I just wish the ama would change something like payback more money. The pros don't even get very much.

jlhughes750
01-27-2004, 09:33 AM
I do not disagree at all...... I'm just saying those motor homes and trailers come from somewhere.... racing comes from somewhere.... racing costs money...alot of it.. and for most of us we give into racing from our excess... we have bills to pay and mouths to feed.. and to still be able to have 2 bikes and new truck and big trailer.... there must be a lil excess to work with....
Not taking anything away from anyone, all of our Pros racers work hard for everything they have accomplished.....its just eaisier for some than others....some are more deserving than others....9X champ Hawk came from nothing and had nothing...but worked hard. same with Bill I guess.....

MJNOVA
01-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Racing is expensesive no matter what the form. Quad racing ranks near the bottom as far as cost goes. As far as money-sponsorship for it, anything is possible. You have top look at it from the sponsors end, what do they get for their money. If you run the stickers from some shop at a national, what do they get---NOTHING from it. Now if you take a VERY CLEAN bike and let it sit at their shop during the week or weekends(off) then they are getting something in return. Be creative and you'll be rewarded. If they get nothing---you get nothing....

quadman21
01-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Jeff, I see both yours and JLhughs points. But the Mid 90's was a different time. The principles were and are the same as today but the equipment and aftermarket parts available was different. I'd say in the early nineties $20,000 machines were not out there. Wasn't the first chromoly aftermarket frame made by JP around 92-93? In any case, my point is that in the days of Sloan and Delullo things were more even and it wasn't as expensive as today. Sure the travel expense was there but now in the 00's the aftermarket world has exploded to where you can literally build a machine from the ground up for an open class or by a stock machine form your dealer just to change everything except frame and engine cases. Heck, even the suspension of today is light years ahead of the mid 90's. You have to admit that jlhughs point of well off is valid. Some of the exriders members might consider you well off because of the Quadshop or Pappy for his powder coating or even Santo for his suspspension business. It doesn't mean any of us think you and other pros have worked any less harder to be where you are, just that in some situations it's easier for you guys to get back on your feet if you stumble from a blown engine. In that definition, you would be considered well off compared to a rider who just had enough money to make it to the race to begin with because he skipped paying the phone bill.
All of our asperations are the same. We all aspire to be on top like the next guy. But in today's race scene, it's nice to have a little help when we go home Friday evening from working 40+ hours. With luck, the new changes will help us all!
:)

Pappy
01-27-2004, 10:19 AM
i think the speeds (gncc) and destruction to parts has had a HUGE impact on the cost for everyone. i can remember loading the quad and a small tool box and air tank and racing anywhere we wanted.

now adays its 2 complete sets of tires and rims atleast!!!

the level of our sport has reached a new high in expences. just to go watch a gncc is gonna run me $300 with fuel and food unless its really close to the house. id love to race more but i flat cant afford it everyother week:p

cdalejef
01-27-2004, 10:27 AM
LMAO....if anyone on here thanks I'm well off they are more than welcome to come spend a couple days with me. I probally have the tighest racing budget of anyone :o . This year is gonna be alot easier with all the new sponcers I have tho. :macho

MJNOVA
01-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Jeff, Slow down pulling the trailer you'll be rich:D

01-27-2004, 10:32 AM
LMAO....if anyone on here thanks I'm well off they are more than welcome to come spend a couple days with me. I probally have the tighest racing budget of anyone :o . This year is gonna be alot easier with all the new sponcers I have tho. :macho

Does this mean your not gonna feed me at the races:(

Pappy
01-27-2004, 10:33 AM
c'mon jeff, we know you are loaded:devil: oh...thats rico:p

problem with atv racing the way i see it is ....everyone wants to look like a million bucks and they accomplish that feat and it shows in team gear and a sharp quad representing thier sponsors. i reckon that gives the right impression to the fans and potential buyers of those that are influenced by the stickers but it isnt a direct relection of the income level of the racer. id hate to have the credit card bills of some of those folks:eek2:

quadman21
01-27-2004, 10:42 AM
That's exactly my point Jeff. You know your own situation But some people may percieve that you and other pros are "well Off". It's all in the individual's perception of well off. It's kind of funny, but the other month I called this little gas station I always fuel up at. I told the lady who owned it I may have a bad check there. She actually laughed at me. She told me that I made too much money to have a bad check. That couldn't be futher from the truth. I was talking about me when I mentioned skipping bills to go racing. Oh well, at least I look rich.....:rolleyes:

ridefastrgetoff
01-27-2004, 11:01 AM
You would come out miles ahead of any factory sponsorship you're gonna get and heck, if you've got a little extra time, you might even make a buck or two. I'd be willing to answer any questions you have if it would be of help to you. We've been doing this for four years now and it flat works.

ex kid
01-27-2004, 11:02 AM
I LOVE WORKING AT A SHOP!:devil:

ridefastrgetoff
01-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Shops are great ! It's just a fact that they cannot sponsor every racer that comes along. Riders need to be able to off-set their expenses and that's what we specialize in.

01-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Uh ridefast, my tax peoples are telling me I had to have some kind of income from this for me to write it off. does that sound correct?

quadman21
01-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Wasn't there another thread about this in the open forum? But in any case, go on and elaborate ridefast.

jlhughes750
01-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks Quadman21 for putting that into perspective!!

Jeff, Please don't take anything I said the wrong way. I have a ton of respect for what u have accomplished and everyone in the top 50 for that matter!! Its hard to not get caught up in all the shine at the races nowadays... I have alot of respect for the guys that can still go and have fun and be competitive and not have to have his frame pc'd or have the best equipment... so much of this sport is follow the leader..keep up with the Jone's... With my situation I got caught up in it bad and got in dept. bad... it took years to get out, but during those years i could not stop racing.. which made things harder... After facing the reality of house,family,bills, etc.etc.etc. I reallized i could still have fun and be competitive with out cashing out so hard... i wish i knew this from day 1... Anyone that knows me will understand...pullin holeshots at the districts with the stock EX....it was the most fun i had ever... Krachun would just shake his head and laugh..they'd always catch up after a few miles and blow my doors off....

Back to the subject at hand.... for the first few years it was a great novelty to say u had a sponsor, but in reality a discount on parts you'll buy once, is what your getting. try to get discounts on consumables, tires, oils, gas etc.... CASH sponsors are the best.. be creative, like another guy said, display it at the business for special promotions and such, in return for gas money to the races.. look for outside sponsors stores, car dealers, bodyshops, local markets, diners are a good one... it can happen the biggest problem i see is quad guys thinking "oh there just quads noone will pay us like nascar" bullsnot, they will u just need to ask!!!!and be creative... Also building a long term realationship with a parts type shop is great...similar to the QUADSHOP and its racers relationships or my relationship with East Coast ATV... those type of situations are "well off" situations, u may have heard that term earlier if u were paying attention..haha

great thread so far good feedback. keep it coming.

ridefastrgetoff
01-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Hello Nathan ! While it is a fact you must have income showing on your bottom line when you file your income taxes, that does not mean you must show income from your business every year. The IRS says you must show a profit 3 of every 5 years, that means you can show a loss the first three full years. In actuality, if you file what is called a Schedule C (Net Profit or Loss from a Small Business) this just reduces your taxable income from your full-time job; now, if you don't have a job at all, then yes, it can be a problem showing any income. After working with riders just like Nate, there's always someone that's making the money for the expenses, the rider or their parents. Anyone can do this. Also, if you have further questions, go get a copy of IRS Publication 334 (Instruction Booklet for Small Businesses). You can also contact my CPA if you have further questions, his name is: John C. Wyatt, Ph. # 918-627-7232, Fax # 918-665-1895 or email him at: Wyattcpas@prodigy.net

If it takes him a couple days to reply, don't think anything of it; he's in the beginning of the tax season.

ridefastrgetoff
01-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Give me a number and I'll explain further; don't let them take you for a ride ! You have your own business so let's treat it like one !

cdalejef
01-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by MJNOVA
Jeff, Slow down pulling the trailer you'll be rich:D Good point :o

cdalejef
01-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by jlhughes750

Jeff, Please don't take anything I said the wrong way. I have a ton of respect for what u have accomplished and everyone in the top 50 for that matter!! I didn't at all, I just wanted to let people that you don't have to be wealthy to go race and do well. Just takes a good budget and stick with it.

01-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ridefastrgetoff
Hello Nathan ! While it is a fact you must have income showing on your bottom line when you file your income taxes, that does not mean you must show income from your business every year. The IRS says you must show a profit 3 of every 5 years, that means you can show a loss the first three full years. In actuality, if you file what is called a Schedule C (Net Profit or Loss from a Small Business) this just reduces your taxable income from your full-time job; now, if you don't have a job at all, then yes, it can be a problem showing any income. After working with riders just like Nate, there's always someone that's making the money for the expenses, the rider or their parents. Anyone can do this. Also, if you have further questions, go get a copy of IRS Publication 334 (Instruction Booklet for Small Businesses). You can also contact my CPA if you have further questions, his name is: John C. Wyatt, Ph. # 918-627-7232, Fax # 918-665-1895 or email him at: Wyattcpas@prodigy.net

If it takes him a couple days to reply, don't think anything of it; he's in the beginning of the tax season.

Good Info for sure

Looks like I need to make Rico Racing a business...:D Or get Jeffy to put me on the payroll as janitor, public speaker, marketing director, or computer consultant..:D

ridefastrgetoff
01-27-2004, 01:02 PM
This is really easy to do folks ! Nothing magical or mystical about it and you can have your own business that affords you the benefits I've been talking about for the past three years. Make it all tax deductible !

01-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ridefastrgetoff
This is really easy to do folks ! Nothing magical or mystical about it and you can have your own business that affords you the benefits I've been talking about for the past three years. Make it all tax deductible !

What if it's a non-profit orginization:confused:

ridefastrgetoff
01-27-2004, 01:37 PM
or is that a general question ? There's a lot of "no-profit racing going on" ! haha Seriously, I don't think non-profits, if you're truly set up as a non-profit could use this program because it would generate income for you.

Badger_Skid
01-27-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm with Jeff on this one, you don't have to be rich to be successful at racing. I raced MX for years and my Mom and Dad flipped the bill the whole bill but I also went out and find people willing to give me cash which had nothing to do with the industry. For example a company that sold vibratory equpiment was one of the best sponsors I had, a lot of machinist saw it on my bike and gave the guy a call. He bought me a new bike every year.

On the oposite side of the coin I sponser riders who race. Do you know what I look for? Someone who shows a great respect for himself and the sport. Comes to races with a clean bike, promotes a humble attitude and genuinely cares about people and the sport he participates in. He may be a local guy but acts and looks professional when he/she goes racing. That guy will sell more products for you than anyone. I will not sponser a person who disrespects people and the sport we love.

Look people in the eye and a warm hand shake go a long way in asking people to help you out. Many people don't have help because they don't ask for it. It doesn't have to be in the motorcycle industry. Where would NASCAR be....??????

ridefastrgetoff
01-27-2004, 02:13 PM
So true !

emj426
01-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by jlhughes750

Jeff, Please don't take anything I said the wrong way. I have a ton of respect for what u have accomplished and everyone in the top 50 for that matter!! Its hard to not get caught up in all the shine at the races nowadays... I have alot of respect for the guys that can still go and have fun and be competitive and not have to have his frame pc'd or have the best equipment... so much of this sport is follow the leader..keep up with the Jone's... With my situation I got caught up in it bad and got in dept. bad... it took years to get out, but during those years i could not stop racing.. which made things harder... After facing the reality of house,family,bills, etc.etc.etc. I reallized i could still have fun and be competitive with out cashing out so hard... i wish i knew this from day 1... Anyone that knows me will understand...pullin holeshots at the districts with the stock EX....it was the most fun i had ever... Krachun would just shake his head and laugh..they'd always catch up after a few miles and blow my doors off....

Back to the subject at hand.... for the first few years it was a great novelty to say u had a sponsor, but in reality a discount on parts you'll buy once, is what your getting. try to get discounts on consumables, tires, oils, gas etc.... CASH sponsors are the best.. be creative, like another guy said, display it at the business for special promotions and such, in return for gas money to the races.. look for outside sponsors stores, car dealers, bodyshops, local markets, diners are a good one... it can happen the biggest problem i see is quad guys thinking "oh there just quads noone will pay us like nascar" bullsnot, they will u just need to ask!!!!and be creative... Also building a long term realationship with a parts type shop is great...similar to the QUADSHOP and its racers relationships or my relationship with East Coast ATV... those type of situations are "well off" situations, u may have heard that term earlier if u were paying attention..haha

great thread so far good feedback. keep it coming. :eek2: Hey....I am a Jones...and i can honestly say that just about anyone can keep up with me..I'm also one of those that has to let a phone bill go every now and then so that I don't miss a race. (just had to pick on u a little :D )

ridefastrgetoff
01-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Sorry to those of you who tried to PM me but were unable to; I didn't think about the Sent Messages taking up space too.

ridefastrgetoff
01-29-2004, 11:01 AM
There have been several of you email or PM me about this and I want to try, in one message to explain better what I'm talking about. While it may be true that many racers have attempted to write-off expenses, unsuccessfully I might add, there is a way to do this that is legite. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR OWN BUSINESS ! How else do the companies that sell bikes, tires, fuel, gear, etc., etc. do it ? It's not because they pay rent to someone or have their own store-front that makes them legite; an office in your own home can be considered a legitimate business and by having such an office, you open all kinds of possibilities to tax deductions that you may not have thought about. Having your own business does not require the following: A Sales Tax Number nor a Federal I.D. Number nor does it require you to incorporate yourself, unless you want to do the above; that's your prerogative if you choose to do so. The IRS requires every business, great or small, to show a profit 3 of every 5 years; that means you can show a total loss for three straight years and hopefully by that time if you're truly trying to make a go of it, you can show a profit by then. If not you might want to reassess your business or your business practices. Have you given thought to why those bikes have decals all over them ? It's not necessarily because they look cool ! Someone is using that for advertising purposes; pretty smart huh ! You are no different. Once you have established your own business, you too can advertise that business everytime you pull onto the race track, the highway for that matter, advertise on your trailor, your truck, your shop, etc., etc. I still encourage you to buy your parts the same way you have but to be smart about it; make them part of your business. ADVERTISING !!! Don't let any of the tax people tell you this cannot be done; you will be cheating yourself and as a business owner, you want to do what is best for you and your business. If you have a full-time job, these deductions are simply deducted from your Gross Income and this then becomes your Adjusted Gross Income; this new amount is what you should've been paying taxes on all year and thus, in most cases, means you over-paid your income taxes during the year and Uncle Sam will owe you a refund. This is information that is not usually offered unless you dig for it. You can find much of this info at your local IRS office and a couple things to ask for are: IRS Publication 334 (Small Business Guide ) this will show you all about business use of your home, cars, office in your home, meals, mileage, and the list goes on and on. The Schedule C (Net Profit or Loss from a Small Business) is what your record your profits or losses on. I am not an accountant but I have a very good one and his name is: John C. Wyatt, Tulsa, OK 918-627-7232 (C.) 918-625-3803 or you can email him at: Wyattcpas@prodigy.net Hope this info will be of help to as many of you that can and will use it.