PDA

View Full Version : Stocks????

JustRace
01-22-2004, 06:10 PM
I want to invest in some stocks. I have already done the research and know what I want to invest in. Have the money ready and everything, the problem is that I don't know how to go about doing it. I always see commercials about online trading and I was just wondering about how you guys go about doing your stocks. Do you do it over the net? If you do use the net, which company do you recommend? Any help would be appreciated.

batgeek
01-22-2004, 06:14 PM
if yer gonna go big and retain a nice portfolio, i suggest getting a consultant/broker.

if yer gonna go on-line i suggest Ameri-Trade. on-line trading can get very addictive hehe. it was fun for me for a while then just became a task.

i love my broker :D

Big400EX
01-22-2004, 06:15 PM
My dad is a Stock Broker, heh. For EdwardJones. I think the best thing to do would be to go to a Stock broker, it seems to me like you dont know what your doing, or getting yourself into, and you don't really want to invest in bad stuff:eek2:

www.edwardjones.com, I think you can see what's close to you with a "Closest Branch" or something like that. Zip code.

Pappy
01-22-2004, 06:16 PM
depends on the amount you have to play with. any purchases over $10,000 should be done with a broker only.

JustRace
01-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Big400EX
My dad is a Stock Broker, heh. For EdwardJones. I think the best thing to do would be to go to a Stock broker, it seems to me like you dont know what your doing, or getting yourself into, and you don't really want to invest in bad stuff:eek2:

www.edwardjones.com, I think you can see what's close to you with a "Closest Branch" or something like that. Zip code.

I know what I am doing as far as which companies I want to invest in. My parents already have stock brokers but I was looking for alternatives. They were also curious about the alternatives but are not that good with the internet I want to do this with my own and it will be no big thing (as in no major money, just a couple hundred dollars). So if anyone can give me any more good advise, not just that your parents work are stock brokers, I would appreciate it.

One of my business teachers (already have a criminal justice degree might as well go for business now lol) is going to help me, but I was just looking for a little heads up.

batgeek
01-22-2004, 06:43 PM
you can never go wrong with pharmaceuticals!!

JustRace
01-22-2004, 06:45 PM
I know, I would love to invest in that too, but whats nice about wanting to try new companies is that besides my own money my parents told me they would each give me 100 dollars to just play around with in some stocks that are up and coming. I have always wanted to invest but never really thought about it seriously. I love business and want to get more hands on with it.

Pappy
01-22-2004, 06:47 PM
im dreaming of the day when my money starts working for me instead of me working for it:p

anything pertaining to drugs and medical research seems to be good. sometimes i think my broker is on drugs but thats another story:p

JustRace
01-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Well my parents are letting me toy with some of their money because they are doing well in the stocks they have now. I do lots of research on little things. They already have stock in GM, GE, Verizon, Nextell, Microsoft, and the list goes on and on. I always wondered why my parents had nice things when I was little but were just starting out in there jobs. lol

01-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Look at stocks this way when you don't know whether to sell or hold off and see if it goes up.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Take a profit when ya can and if you think you should sell.;)

I've never lost a dime on stocks.. :D

Guy400
01-22-2004, 06:55 PM
http://www.scottrade.com/

There's the one Jim Cramer recommends. Jim Cramer is the radio host of "Jim Cramer's Real Money", runs www.thestreet.com, and is a TV host on CNBC (or MSNBC).

JustRace
01-22-2004, 07:19 PM
thanks guy, thats what i was looking for. Stuff like that. Batgeek thanks too.

cheetah
01-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Rico invests in beer companies then he alone keeps their stocks alive.:o You could kinda say he gets money back for drinking beer. Cheers Rico.:D

batgeek
01-22-2004, 07:42 PM
sorry but i tend to generalize...i have a big problem with directing people towards actual companies. would make me feel bad if i offered some information and we both lost our *** on it :D

personally i believe you should have a plan going into investing. are you looking at long-term high yeild gain, long-term steady yeild gain, short-term BOOYAOW!!! yeild, etc...

once you have a plan, it is rather easy to set up a portfolio that would be able to accomplish your goal :D

JustRace
01-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Don't worry batgeek you helped, believe it or not. lol I plan on calling a stock broker tommorrow to see what they can offer. Its about 15 minutes from where I live so its convenient. I plan on investing in long term. I don't plan on investing 10,000 dollars hoping to just gain a point then sell it all only to do it all over again. So i'm not looking at winning the lottery.

Greg Z
01-22-2004, 09:45 PM
buy google stocks!!!thats right google started selling stocks..

ill be investing some soon

TDBRPH
01-22-2004, 10:03 PM
damn Rico I thought Jim Cramer was posting here for a second..... I was thinking I can get all my info in one place now ;)

Triston

sly400ex
01-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Do homework on it......long term will most likely always turn out positvie cash flow.....short term....a big gambling game.....wait, i'm thinking funds...:confused: