PDA

View Full Version : is jetting that hard?

ny300exrider
01-22-2004, 05:04 PM
im going to be honest here..ive never jetted a quad before and i have to with my new hmf slip on. im alittle worried that it is going to be hard but i hear everyone say it isnt bad. does anyone have a website with instruction or anything. i read the k&n powerkit one in the f.a.q. section..will that help even though it is just regular keihn jets not a big powerkit. i mean its not like i cant wrench, ive had the quad apart but ive never torn into the motor. how was your first time jetting and did it go well? any encouragement or tips. do i take the whole carb off for this? i know these question is beat to death but i just dont feel like paying the dealer to do this and id like to just get it over with and learn how to do it. thanks alot guys

Out_Sider
01-22-2004, 05:11 PM
its the easiest thing ever....just take the carb off. unscrew the bottom off..put your new main jet in...then reassemble..

4TraxRider
01-22-2004, 05:13 PM
It isn't that it's terribly hard, it's just not very easy liek changing a plug. After you get it done right a few times and you get the feel for the increments in main jets and needle sizes and how they affect the quad it will be much easier. My first jetting experience probably 5 or 6 years ago was on a 300ex, and I ended up burning the piston up and needed to get it resleaved. Live adn learn. i'm still not great at it but I can get in the ballpark most of the time, and if not a question or search on here solves all the probs. Goodluck.

exrider123
01-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
im going to be honest here..ive never jetted a quad before and i have to with my new hmf slip on. im alittle worried that it is going to be hard but i hear everyone say it isnt bad. does anyone have a website with instruction or anything. i read the k&n powerkit one in the f.a.q. section..will that help even though it is just regular keihn jets not a big powerkit. i mean its not like i cant wrench, ive had the quad apart but ive never torn into the motor. how was your first time jetting and did it go well? any encouragement or tips. do i take the whole carb off for this? i know these question is beat to death but i just dont feel like paying the dealer to do this and id like to just get it over with and learn how to do it. thanks alot guys

Complete jetting guide.

http://www.nyriders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34

ny300exrider
01-22-2004, 05:21 PM
k guys thanks for the encouragement and thanks for the guide! me and my pappadukes are gonna try it out in acouple days, ill let you know how it turns out. keep the replys coming ;)

thanks again

quadryda
01-22-2004, 05:29 PM
the hardest part for me is getting the airboot back on grr i hate that!!:rolleyes:

gimpbzkt400ex
01-22-2004, 05:32 PM
here is what I used... but it is for a 400EX... don't know how the 300EX's carb might be... hope it helps...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6644&highlight=cold+starting

ny300exrider
01-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by gimpbzkt400ex
here is what I used... but it is for a 400EX... don't know how the 300EX's carb might be... hope it helps...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6644&highlight=cold+starting
i ride a 400ex ;) thanks

gimpbzkt400ex
01-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
i ride a 400ex ;) thanks

oh ok.... I thought you rode a 300EX becuase of your name.. lol yeah it isn't that hard.. but I didn't take off all the plastic like those instructions say....