PDA

View Full Version : idle problem

quad_racer_19
01-22-2004, 03:40 PM
i know this is a forum for quads but i have an idoling problem on my sled
what would it be from it wont idol even if i have been driving for 30 minutes and park it to leave it run she wont idle?

quad_racer_19
01-22-2004, 03:41 PM
oh yeah and i checked the intake and the carbs are clean

01-22-2004, 03:57 PM
you check the air filter???

quad_racer_19
01-22-2004, 06:36 PM
yeah i had to get a new air filter cuz mice got on it and ripped it to **** and crapped all over the filter. i checked and the inside of the airbox is clean there is nothing in it from the mice

Aceman
01-22-2004, 08:18 PM
I assume since you had mice in it that it has been sitting? Did you put fresh fuel in it? Replace the fuel filter? Check the float level in the carb? Is it running alright when you ride it around? Rich? Lean? How does it die when you try and let it idle? Does it slowly sputter to death or does it cut out immediately? Do you have the idle screw adjusted to the proper rpm?

quad_racer_19
01-22-2004, 08:29 PM
yeah it has been sitting...it dont snow all year round in canada. it sat through summer. we syphened the gas out in spring. it rides alright just the top end is a bit sluggish.
when it dies i just take my thumb off of the throttle. it dies even when i a riding i have to have it to the bar half the time. it makes me mad. when it dies it just idles for like not even a second then shuts off immediately. i called my dealer to ask what is wrong with it today and they said that they think it is the idle jet. i didnt even know there was an idle jet. so i am taking it to the farm and getting my uncle to take the carbs off and he will take the idle jetts out and see how dirty they are tomorrow.

i will let youknow if that was the problem if not i dont know what to do.

F-16Guy
01-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Sounds like you got some crud in one of the pilot jets (I'm assuming it has more than one cylinder and carb). Take the carbs off and find the pilot (or "idle") jet for each carb. Typically, the pilot jet is very close to the main jet, which should be at the bottom center area of the float bowl when you remove it. On some carbs, there's a little plastic piece that slides over the main jet and covers the pilot jet. The pilot jet is usually down in a hole cast in the carb body, or atleast not completely exposed. It should be removable using a flat head screwdriver. Remove it and inspect it for debris, or since it's been sitting, varnish buildup from old fuel. Either thouroghly clean or replace the pilot jet, and main jet while you're at it, for each carb. Also, while the jets are out, spray carb cleaner through the passages where the jets screw in; make sure there's no blockage. Reassemble and check. Good luck.