PDA

View Full Version : im really taking a dislike to people in the construction trade

derekhonda
01-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Long story short, my parents decided to build a poolhouse/garage/storage unit last summer, took the workers about 3 monthes to come dig the hole, another month to have them come pour the footer and lay the block, then another month to start framing. They have been framing off and on for about 2 months now and just finished the roof today. The building is very nice and very big, but i just dont like any of the workers who have been here yet. what tops it off is, the plumbing electrical, and heat were all supposed to be put in last monday, none of the three showed up all that week, or this week. Im supposed to be insulating and drywalling it but i cant til they get all their shyt together. Its a shame, im ready to move in right now !

going to go get pics

ghak99
01-22-2004, 03:25 PM
I the middle of the winter I would consider yourself lucky to have what you have.

You should have wrote up a contract if you wanted it done by a certain date.

derekhonda
01-22-2004, 03:27 PM
they were the ones delaying it, i had no problem sitting in the house watching them out on the roof while the windchill is below zero.

derekhonda
01-22-2004, 03:38 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/400ex/spedo_007.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/400ex/spedo_008.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/400ex/spedo_009.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/400ex/spedo_010.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/400ex/spedo_011.jpghttp://www.angelfire.com/jazz/400ex/spedo_013.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/400ex/spedo_015.jpg

brian-250
01-22-2004, 03:39 PM
i know a good roofer you might know him,wayne tharp:confused:

derekhonda
01-22-2004, 03:40 PM
nope, doesnt matter though, roof is done - finally

brian-250
01-22-2004, 03:48 PM
mike mcmillan?i didnt spell it righti know bout where yer house is now,need eggs:D :devil:

derekhonda
01-22-2004, 04:13 PM
you touch my house you wont have arms left to do it again :devil:

i do need to know who you are, we are riding tommorrow are you in the highschool or the middle sschool?

brian-250
01-22-2004, 06:07 PM
i go to sheridan(hate to say it) where are you riding,with who i know some people that go to leb. :confused:

derekhonda
01-22-2004, 06:13 PM
going with a bunch of my friends to alex kruses land if you know him

brian-250
01-22-2004, 06:18 PM
is it nessary to know him,heard the name,does any of yer friend ride a blue 400ex with the race cut and white bros pipe?or a suz.lt250 and name john,ross/ i know them

derekhonda
01-22-2004, 06:42 PM
jep john ross and johnathon dieterland, dieterland is going but ross snapped a balljoint i think and hasnt fixed it yet. How do you know them.

And yes it is neccesary to know him to ride on his land

SGA
01-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Thats a really nice garage pool house! Quit griping, unless your paying for it!;)

brian-250
01-22-2004, 06:49 PM
you know johnathon,i know him thur waye,i met when he had that pos blaster!yea johns front end is all messed up,is there someway i could go with out knowing him? i can probbly get a ride with johnathon if you let me know tonight,you might try calling the owner and see if he would let me tell him im a friend of wayne tharp,if he knows him,i got to ride:D :rolleyes:

Atreyu
01-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Seems like almost all contractors take your money and don't finish..happened to my grandma, aunt, and a freind.

derekhonda
01-22-2004, 08:04 PM
i know im not paying for it, doesnt make me want it to get finished any less. and yes it is very nice, thanks

Alex will be riding with us, so yes you can go, alot of people we take out there just go on there own later on, and that IS NOT allowed and alex and his dad get very upset. Yeah, give johnathon a call, we are all going out about 2 i hope.

brian-250
01-22-2004, 08:08 PM
well,my mom made plans:grr: :mad: got to go,sorry but let me know when you head out next time who knows i might have a 400 by then:rolleyes: but tell john i got hand guards ill sell em:D

sparky450AR
01-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
going with a bunch of my friends to alex kruses land if you know him

wanna hook me up with some ridin area?:)

derekhonda
01-22-2004, 09:11 PM
we got 3 places up here on the nw side of indy, send me a pm if you are serious

derekhonda
01-22-2004, 09:12 PM
where did my pictures go?

stonerider250x
01-22-2004, 09:24 PM
looks like its gonna turn out to be a nice builden. not all contractors are slow my dads company finished a 4 story house elevators and every thing in just under a year.:eek2:

derekhonda
01-23-2004, 04:57 AM
yeah i guess i should have specified, not all contractors are bad i suppose, i worked construction all summer haha so i guess im ripping on myself, but this group of guys we have had so far. . . . .not impressed

01-23-2004, 05:32 AM
For future referance. it usually takes about twice to three times as long to have something built than what they say. The only way to prevent this is write up a legal contract and have the contracter sign it. stating a MOVE IN DATE. add stipulations to the contract for it not being done on time!!!!!! When i framed houses in college we were getting a house to the stage you are at now in about 2 to 3 weeks. and that was with a 4 man crew.

yeah not all contractor are bad. are company just finished four schoold buildings on the same site in under two years. we were like 6 months ahead of schedule.

infantry317
01-23-2004, 06:12 AM
In my experience the contractors run around like a chicken with there head cut off, very unorganized and their workers show up about a third of the time cuz their too busy smokin dope. :mad:
Trouble is that's about the only workers they can get dopers or alcoholics. Hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers. :devil:

Werx615
01-23-2004, 03:02 PM
thats why u shouldnt go with the cheapest outfit, check around get some references, ask questions

Glamis400ex
01-23-2004, 06:16 PM
You guys are painting all construction workers with a pretty big brush there. How about you do you research 1st, like contact the BBB and stuff like that before you shell out 100k on a addition.

Yes, I will admit alot of construction folk are unpleasant and dopers, but that's why they do make too much. It all comes out in the wash, they eventually weed themselves out.

Glamis

JD400exrider
01-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
You guys are painting all construction workers with a pretty big brush there. How about you do you research 1st, like contact the BBB and stuff like that before you shell out 100k on a addition.

Glamis

I aggree Glamis
If you as a home owner are going to start a project of any size you do need to shop around for the right company and do the research. There allot of contractors that either do not have a clue and rely soley on their subs to come through or become so busy that they over stretch themselves with to many jobs. Building in those temperatures does take a little longer but a garage of that size and area above should not have taken that long with out some serious weather or unforseen problems that came up after the project started.

To say guys don't show up because there to busy smoking to much dope is a stretch. Sure there are allot of those guys out there . There allways has been. Like Glamis stated. they weed themselves out. If the building in your area is booming like it is in CA trying to find good help is hard. At least a person that will show up every day on time and work a 40-50 hours week. I am a contractor and finding good help for new home building or remodeling projects became a big problem not to say the workers comp was just going up and up and that was before the major workers comp problem now! I decided to quit baby sitting employees twelve years ago and opened a Home / Building Inspection and consulting company. Now I just inspect all aspects of the home and its systems or consult with home owners with there projects like yours or problems there having.
Less headache and more money. ;)

derekhonda
01-23-2004, 11:59 PM
we didnt necessarily do our homework, ill agree with you there. But we have used the same contractor for over the last 20 years, he built my grandmothers house, and has added on well over 80,000 worth of additions and remodelings to our house. We kind of turned the project over to him since we trusted him so much, and we arent necessarily mad at him, its all the guys he sub contracted it out too, they are all worthless. I guess in some aspect it is his fault but we cant expect him to be there twisting the sub-contract guys arms and walking them through the project everyday.

JD400exrider
01-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Keeping with the same contractor over the years to perform different projects is quite often done and understandable. If a person feels like they have a good working relationship with him or her why not.

It sounds to me like the contractor needs to be looking for some different subs. A bad sub can make a general look even worse.

Good luck with the rest of your project. I am sure it will all come out in the end.